Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Cameras always on depletes the battery

Discussion stats
  • 28 Replies
  • 17 Likes
  • 12 In Conversation
crw
Apprentice
Apprentice

SHOULD THE CAMERAS BE ON ALL THE TIME ? THE BATTERIES DRAIN SO FAST. MAYBE LEAVE THE CAMERAS OFF UNTIL YOU WANT TO ARM THE SYSTEM ?? SUGGESTIONS ??

28 REPLIES 28
pc2k17
Hero
Hero

@Jeff3113 wrote:
The FOUR cameras I have are installed within 70 feet of the base station. The closest uses the least battery. The farthest uses the most.
In fact, TWICE as much battery over the past two weeks. I have cycled the cameras off during non-use. They operate 9 hours each night.
Q: Is there ANY way to synchronise the cameras ON with them being activated?
Right now each one had to be MANUALLY turned on/off.
Thx, Jeff p

If you have SmartThings you would be able to turn cameras on or off on a schedule, with geofencing, with arrival sensor, when a door opens, when a light turns on, when motion is detected, etc, etc. SmartThings see the cameras as on/off switches, motrion sensors, and cameras. Because of this you can use SmartThings routines to turn your cameras on/off depending on what trigger you set to perform this function. Also in SmartThings you can install the smart app called Arlo Pilot. This smartapp will allow you to have SmartThings change your Arlo Mode based on a trigger.

Currently I use an arrival sensor that is in my car. When I pull into my driveway in less than 30 seconds SmartThings detects that I've arrived. Always works pefectly, 100% more reliable than geofencing. Upon arrival I have Smarthings change the Arlo Mode to a custom Home mode I created and I have SmartThings also turn off the interior cameras.

When I leave the house, I have a SmartThings widget on my phone home screen that I tap to turn the interior cameras on and chnage my Arlo Mode to Armed.

Jeff3113
Apprentice
Apprentice
Smartthings has the solution.
Now ARLO PROGRAMMERS need to incorporate that function.
These age-old battery issues are not what I signed up for.
Not sure I can recommend this system anymore to friends.
Flyawaytoo
Aspirant
Aspirant
After reading all these complaints about NetGear/Arlo battery drain problems that can’t seem to be fixed, I’m returning the 5 camera Pro 2 to the vendor for a full refund.
ehuang4022
Aspirant
Aspirant

@Flyawaytoo wrote:
After reading all these complaints about NetGear/Arlo battery drain problems that can’t seem to be fixed, I’m returning the 5 camera Pro 2 to the vendor for a full refund.

Man, i'm thinking about too even my 3 cameras been used more than 10 months. Fully charged to 100% then 3 weeks later down to 10%, so unusable and stupid now.