Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Camera stops recording sometimes

Discussion stats
franc60
Follower
Follower

Hi, i am having issues with my cameras not recording, registering movement etc. My app is up to date. Is anyone else having these issues as i am not sure what to do?

41 REPLIES 41
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @ksss11

You can try to remove 1 camera from settings > My Devices > Re-Add it to see if this fixes the issue you are experiencing.

myccpay
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yup, happening to me too. None of my cameras linked to the base station are recording. I am however getting motion detection alerts! I could even barely load my cameras for live view to see if it's working. 

myccpay

myccpay
Wotta
Guide
Guide

My cameras are hopeless. Never buying Arlo ever again. It seems to me that since Netgear sold this company they are out to ruin the service. 

Both my Base Station and Arlo Q have stopped working now for no apparent reason. They occasionally decide to work, then just stop again. At the moment the base station is saying it is not connected to the internet. Who knows why because it was working perfectly well before and all my other devices are working. 

Arlo Q will also not connect to WiFi.

yellowsubmarine
Tutor
Tutor

8 of my Arlo Pro and Pro 2 have stopped recording. I rebooted and removed the batteries. Still does not record movement. I can access the camera and view live. What's going on?

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@yellowsubmarine

Are you using the Armed mode or a custom mode? 

JoeT
Aspirant
Aspirant

have 6 cameras and they have stopped recording 1 by 1. When I tried to get help, I was asked to pay a $250 contract before they would help me.   BS

dcfox1
Master
Master

@JoeT wrote:

have 6 cameras and they have stopped recording 1 by 1. When I tried to get help, I was asked to pay a $250 contract before they would help me.   BS

I have seen this several times here. It is a scam site that you contacted when you googled support. Arlo does not charge for support. 

The real contact numbers are below on  this page. 

ksss11
Luminary
Luminary

I shouldn't have to keep babysitting the cameras and their tempers. If I don't change anything, I shouldn't have to keep doing that. Now I have a problem resurfacing on random cameras-- battery says 25% and symbol is yellow...next minute says 25%, symbol red, and camera stops recording PERIOD like battery is at 0%, even though in Settings it still says 25%. What's up with this?

SSK61
Guide
Guide
My recordings stop too so randomly . I get an x on recordings on each camera like its blocked. I pay for a recording subscription , I try to reset the filters and x the recording button. Does not clear it then out of the blue it starts working again. While this is happening, I can go in on the app or website and manually watch and record. So access to my cameras are not the issue. I have changed my hub, removed and reset my cameras , app , and hub multiple times. It comes and goes no matter what I do. I think they block out the recording system all the time to do updates. It's so random so they can't find the issue. And blame it on your stuff. It's their recording system. It does not know how to multitask when they do updates. They need to fix their recording system.
dcfox1
Master
Master

@SSK61   Where are you seeing an "X"?  On the actual recordings, Live streaming or somewhere else.

SSK61
Guide
Guide
I see the X when I go to devices, then each camera has a picture of the last recorded picture. On the right bottom corner next to the gear(settings) button there is a circle with how many videos it has recorded. It will usually have a number in it. If you click on it you can see your videos per camera. But I will see the name of the Camera with an X that is blocking the recordings. You can also reset your filters on this page. It has a big red wireless icon at the top right if it is blocked from recording viewing, sometimes resetting it back to any resets it it the blocking has cleared on their end. This happens regularly in the middle of the night at all different times. Most times all cameras are blocked , once in a while only 1 or 2 are blocked. It's a serious issue with their recording services.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@SSK61 wrote:
. On the right bottom corner next to the gear(settings) button there is a circle with how many videos it has recorded.

So this is the video library - so I don't think it is blocking recordings, instead I think you are having an issue with recording playback.

Since this is at the bottom of the camera image, it must be in the app - since the web browser has that circle at the top right.

What device are you using (Android or iOS)?  Have you also checked my.arlo.com on a the PC?

It might be useful to post a screen shot.

SSK61
Guide
Guide
You are right about the playbacks. But it is not picking up movement to record anything either when the x is on there and I cant clear it and I have an android but it is the same on my PC directly through their website. I have changed hubs removed and re-installed all my devices, restarted my internet modem. Increased my internet speeds to 400MB. This all started over a year ago. I was having great recordings and play backs , hardly ever had problems until over a year ago. I even bypassed my hub on my video doorbell and put it directly on my router. , still had issues. App and website. My movement recordings and playbacks stop randomly without notice. But I am able to manually access and live view and record live manually and it works during this time. I could just put it on live record in the middle of the night. Buts that's a lot of recording to view that's not necessary. I have reported this issue a few times sent in screen shots. Took forever to get back to me and have them walk me through all the trouble shooting steps to have it just start working again and not finding the problem. Then it starts happing all over again. It's nothing to do with my internet, devices, or cameras or hubs. I trouble shooted it all many times with them on the phone and without. They changed something over a year ago that is causing these issues. And from reading the forum there a lot of issues with the recording and playback system they have. It has been happening more often and it's not getting better. I am so sorry I am just getting so frustrated with all the excuses and all the unnecessary trouble shooting. It's a pain. I love the system and the devices and how easy it is to work through the app and website. But they need the fix the issues with the movement recordings and playbacks. I know it starts working when I start getting notification sounds and sometimes it will store the movements and they will suddenly appear when they unblock the recordings so I can view them.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@SSK61 wrote:
 But it is not picking up movement to record anything either when the x is on there

If you are seeing an X on the main devices screen, then likely it is also telling you that the cameras are off-line.

When this happens, are you seeing it on all your cameras?  Or just some?  Also, is it affecting all the cameras on a given base, or is it affecting multiple bases?

SSK61
Guide
Guide
Sometimes it's all my cameras and the base is working, sometimes it's only one cameta that works, usually the video doorbell comes back first. Like this morning between 2am and 630am. All were blocked. Then the video doorbell started allowing recordings to show up as well as started to alert me of movement then the other 3 cameras came back about 30 min later. But during the playback blocking, I can go into live view and watch and record and view the live recordings I manually record. I had an original base , I thought maybe it was my base and thought of trying out a new upgraded essential camera but my old base would not accommodate it. And I thought it could be why my recordings were acting up. In my troubleshooting knowledge I knew it was not the cause so I updated my base to a 4540 smart base so if I wanted upgraded cameras and to prove it was not my base. Also my old base would not talk to my video doorbell. Now they are all on the smart base. But I left my doorbell on my modem just to make sure. Then added it later. They all still do it. Randomly mostly from 12a-630a, once in a while in the day mostly on weekends. Cameras are online since I can manually view through them live when this happens. After I get my notifications back I still have click on the green or red wireless Icon on filters to reset it to view the playbacks. It's such a complicated issue. I have tried so many different things to help them troubleshoot this issue. They tell me to do the basic troubleshooting everytime I call the help desk. I tell them I have done that. They wont help me until I do it again with them on the phone. Then they take a ticket. Then later it starts working before they even email me back with a trouble ticket. I just tell them it's working now but to keep the ticket open. But they close it. Then it blocks again.
ksss11
Luminary
Luminary

We should not have to keep resetting these cameras! There are some of us have them on sketchy eaves. 

SSK61
Guide
Guide
I completely agree. We should be able to just reset the hub and have it talk to the cameras without having to push the sinc button on the camera. Especially if the power goes out. When I had my video doorbell going to my modem directly, since the old base was not compatible. If the power went out it would not sinc to my modem. I had to reset it back up by completely take it off the wall and reset it with the pin so it would talk to my app and website again through the modem. I now have it on my newer hub and it resets itself and sinc up to my app without having to reset it up again. That's how all the cameras should be.