Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
zoomzoomers
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have a camera that keeps going off at night when there's nothing really moving.

I've even lowered the sensitivity down to 10%  and it still goes off continously.

I do have it sort of pointed to another camera where the infrared light can light up.

The question I have is, will infrared light trigger the camera to turn on and start recording?

Im trying to figure out how to get this working and chewing away my battery,

Thoughts?

12 REPLIES 12
zoomzoomers
Aspirant
Aspirant

The reason Im asking because on one of the clips I saw the infared light from the other camera light up for a split second.  Like it was polling for movement

zoomzoomers
Aspirant
Aspirant

Its also outside near an outdoor water heater...

Will that make any difference?

zoomzoomers
Aspirant
Aspirant

it goes off even when i set it to the lowest setting

zoomzoomers
Aspirant
Aspirant

Also this only occurs at night so I dont know whats wrong with it.

I've tested it during the day and nothing happens that shouldnt...Must have something to do with the position and what its aiming at or the water heater thing.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The camera PIR reacts to IR .... tho it will see the other ir illuminators, that shouldn't trigger it off.

My bet is it is reacting to your water heater at night when other areas are "cool". 

Easy test is to aim it in the other direction( so it doesn't see the heater ) to see if it still triggers at night.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I've had very occasional recordings (once every 6 months or so) where it seems like the change in lighting from another camera has set off a different camera. Not on a regular basis and I can't really prove that's what happened.

jkmail
Apprentice
Apprentice

Did you get a solution. I have 2 that does this and I have to cut them off at night. Sort of defeats the purpose. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Rather than living with the problem, open a case with support.
jkmail
Apprentice
Apprentice

I did - No reply yet...

jkmail
Apprentice
Apprentice

Netgear could not fix the problem with everything I was told to do . I ended up purchasing another upgraded base. That seems to have been the problem all along.

jlynn434
Aspirant
Aspirant

Well this has been fun. My indoor cat escaped the house last Friday and it's been a horrible ordeal. I left a bowl of food out to see if I could lure him in. When I got home from work, the food was gone. I had to know if it was him or another animal so I bought the Arlo wireless motion-detector camera.  Once installed, it kept alerting me of movement when there was absolutely none - like literally 1-2 times per minute; so I adjusted the sensitivity down.  The alerts stopped, but guess what?  The full bowl of food was once again empty after work and NOTHING recorded!!! I now have again adjusted the sensitivity and am again getting constant alerts of movement when there has been NONE.  This is a terrible product! I think it's going back to Best Buy.  How are you guys still in business?

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

jlynn434,

It sounds like this could be an issue with camera position. Take a look at this article for position tips for best performance: How do I optimize motion detection for my Arlo Wire-Free, Arlo Pro Wire-Free, or Arlo Go camera?

JamesC