Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Cajunfla1
Star
Star

IMG_2720.JPGHelp/suggestions/ideas needed. 

I would like to place a camera in the upper left hand side, looking toward my doorbell.  However, my flag will surely set off the motion detector frequently.  No other place to put the flag without blocking the view out the front window. I have another camera overlooking the driveway, so putting the flag there would set off that camera motion det ctor as well. 

Ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Looking at the picture... if you mount one at the entry edge flag side facing in , the flag shouldn't be seen by the camera as it's facing inward.

As to facing out can you get one above the trim but below soffet? ( on opposite side of flag )

Do a temp mount to test , some have havd good luck with 3 m double sided molding tape ( i have ) where tyou don't wantto drill .

original.jpg

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
I'd try either side, back by the door, though not necessarily in the corner. That way you would get faces.
Cajunfla1
Star
Star

It's only about 7-8 feet from door to where the flag is flapping in the breeze. Motion detection would constantly record video all day. 

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Looking at the picture... if you mount one at the entry edge flag side facing in , the flag shouldn't be seen by the camera as it's facing inward.

As to facing out can you get one above the trim but below soffet? ( on opposite side of flag )

Do a temp mount to test , some have havd good luck with 3 m double sided molding tape ( i have ) where tyou don't wantto drill .

original.jpg

Morse is faster than texting!
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Cajunfla1 wrote:

It's only about 7-8 feet from door to where the flag is flapping in the breeze. Motion detection would constantly record video all day. 

While that's certainly possible, rotating the camera or using a small piece of black plastic electrical tape to shield the PIR from seeing the flag could help.

Cajunfla1
Star
Star

Thanks for the ideas!  I'll try the first one later today after the rain passes. 

Cajunfla1
Star
Star

Using the 3M outdoor double side tape works great!

Mounting a camera facing the door from the entry edge works! Thanks!

I had to mount the camera facing outward slightly to the left on the brick column, because mounting the magnetic ball under the soffit would not allow for enough rotation of the camera to get a good view, and of course, now the flag occasionally trips the motion detection. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
That's where the small piece of tape can help. A bit of trial and error but try to just get the smallest area that would detect the flag.
Cajunfla1
Star
Star

Update.  Double stick tape decided to no longer hold. Luckily, I noticed the camera looking more downward on video, and got it before it fell off and smacked the concrete. 

Overall, good location, so I'll permanently mount a camera there. 

Still experimenting on other camera location.