Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

RCooke
Tutor
Tutor

Netgear's 2.5.0 app update broke push notifications on my iPhone X running iOS 11.3.1. I would like to report this bug. I hope the app will be patched ASAP.

269 REPLIES 269
Cstat311
Aspirant
Aspirant
Having same exact issues on iPhone 8 and have tried all remedy’s I can think of. Still not working
mcmu12
Luminary
Luminary
PFF
Aspirant
Aspirant

Iphone ios 10.3.3 still not getting notifications from any of my Arlo Pro cameras. Has been off more than on since App update.

Taylor121217
Tutor
Tutor
I also have the same issue on the iPhone X. Bot receiving notifications. Is there a fix for this yet?
Jiminator
Tutor
Tutor

@DawnM

Just a quick update from yesterday.  All day today I received notifications.  Don’t know if it’s something done on Netgear’s end, but all my cameras sent notifications since last night and the quality of my camera recordings are back to what they were prior to the update as well.  After the update it seemed the video quality dropped, pixelation and changing between night/day mode with outdoor lights.

Today, the video seems to be back to how it was prior to the update.  

I am hopeful that the bugs all get worked out!!  I just bought this five camera system on April 26th and like I said before, with the exception of the 2-way talk feature not working on IOS, everything else seemed to work pretty well until this recent update.  Thanks for your help!

iTem70
Aspirant
Aspirant

Late last night (CET) push and the status on the base station presented correct info. I quickly updated my GEO setting, since I had access.

Today the problem is back. Push works ok but I cannot change any setting in the base station (ON/OFF/GEO/Schedule) via the App. 

The Arlo app has not been updated the last 5 days

Ynkeclipr
Initiate
Initiate

I to have the push notification problem since updates. It seems to be sporadic on one of my four cameras. I have reset base unit, and logged off and back on app. I also have gone onto the app and turned push notifications for that camera off and back on. It will work once or twice then stop again. I DO get the video in my library when this happens but Arlo does NOT show that there are any videos in the library when signing in. I have an iPhone 5s at 11.3.1 and an older Basic Arlo system. Please fix ASAP. Traveling soon and will need it! Thanks.

Red33
Star
Star

Besides notifications working intermittently I am having problems deleting the last recording in the library from my iPhone and iPad.

That last recording plays after pushing the delete icon and then freezes up the app making you exit and reopen and login again.  I can delete without trouble from my Apple computer.  

BikerPaUK
Star
Star
Not been getting them here also I’m on iOS 11.3.1 iPhone 7 since the app update.
I can however get email notifications.
cthornton
Aspirant
Aspirant
kmiller8821
Luminary
Luminary

As of today, I've tried all the steps given to me to get notifications working.  What's interesting is that they appear to be working on my ipad but not on my iPhoneX.  I've cleared the app cache (offload) , deleted the app, reinstalled the app, toggled push notifications in the settings menu for iPhone as well went into each camera and turned push off (save) then turned back on(save).  So far, I'm not getting notifications on my iPhoneX consistently, sporadic at best. This is now going on 4 days. I'm not very happy with netgear right now.  No response from @DawnM to any of us is also not very assuring. This is an expensive product that is failing to do what it's designed to do, PROTECT my home.  While it does appear that recordings are still making it to the cloud, my inability to be alerted in any decent amount of time makes it difficult for me to take any action if I don't know what happened until after the fact. netgear's QA team should be fired and they should hire compentent people to thoroughly vet these products before they are released. At the VERY least, they should have an ALPHA/BETA pilot so that they can roll these updates out to smaller audiences and validate all is working before go they release these changes into production. I'd be EMBARASSED if I was netgear and I'm about to have to fire of  an email to the executive team, it's the only way to get anything done around here. Mark Merrill will definitely be hearing from me, very soon, if we don't see some progress on this. 

Elynch
Guide
Guide
This morning my cameras did not work and no notifications.
I turned one camera on and off and it started working again.
This seems to be getting worse.....
DawnM
Arlo Employee Retired

@kmiller8821 I posted an update last night at 5pm letting you all know that we were honing in on a fix. The engineering and QA team are now sanity testing the fix, and I should have an update on Monday. Unfortunately until that fix comes out, there is not a feasible work-around. Notifications should work if you keep the app in the foreground, however, we know it is not feasible to have the app constantly in the foreground. Your recordings should be working as expected, but if they are not, please let me know as that has not been reported with this issue. We know it is inconvenient to not receive push notifications, and they are working on getting a fix out as soon as possible.

Thank you for your continued patience!

Dawn Marshall

Arlo Community Manager

ysu
Luminary
Luminary

Netgear engineers, I have a possible theory of what’s going on.

I tried the logout/login thing last night and notifictaion worked for a while on my iphone. Then I woke this morning and found missing notifications again (videos are in library though). But later when I checked my iPad, the notifications were there.

So here’s my theory: each user might have multiple devices, so each account can have multiple iOS push notification tokens registered. When this user’s camera is triggered, you should send the notification to ALL of this user’s registered tokens. If, I am purely guessing, for whatever reason, you are only sending the notification to ONE token of the user, it could cause this issue. And depending on which one you are sending to, it might show up on one or the other device of the user. And if you are picking the “last registered” token, it could be unpredictable because when apps wake up in background they might do a new registration.

again, pure guess. Also it doesn’t explain why it starts to happen from 2.5.0 only, unless you guys also changed your server side notification infrastructure with this release.

Other users who run into this issue, do you have other devices signed into the same netgear account on Arlo app? Can you check if the missing notifications showed up on those devices?

CJPSurf
Guide
Guide

Tried the fixes numerous times.  Each time it worked initially, but stopped working soon after.

CJPSurf
Guide
Guide

Can Engineering re-release the previous version until they figure out the problem with the current version?  This way Arlo users can at least have the proper coverage and use of their camera systems, as there were no problems associated with the older version. 

Alice0630
Aspirant
Aspirant
I log out and log in and restart my phone. Everything seems to work, then after 2 days arlo seems only recording the videos according to its mood, it will record in the morning then suddenly stop recoriding at a random time when motion detected,. I see the motion wasn’t even turned into orange.
PLEASE HAVE THIS ISSUE FIX ARLO...
it made me feel Arlo is not stable for security...
mcmu12
Luminary
Luminary
Inconvenient?!? It’s not working as it should, as in no security. An email well after the fact doesn’t work for security. 🙄
JPC
Prodigy
Prodigy

@DawnM

App update 2.5.1 ETA?? soon??

kmao
Initiate
Initiate

It is not just iPhone X.  We are having the same issue with iPhone 6s and iPhone 7 with iOS 11.3.1.  Video playback also not showing the name of the camera but instead showing the SN# as others have stated.

BikerPaUK
Star
Star
Apprentice

Re: Bug Report: Arlo app update 2.5.0 broke push notifications (iPhone X, iOS 11.3.1)
Inconvenient?!? It’s not working as it should, as in no security. An email well after the fact doesn’t work for security. 🙄

Model: VMB3000 | Arlo Base Station

Emails land less than a couple of seconds after a push notification IME via gmail, must be be something off with your network provider.
I'm not disputing or defending, just suggesting it's not the end of the world Smiley Wink 
Ajturton1985
Apprentice
Apprentice
I’m having this issue
Ajturton1985
Apprentice
Apprentice
I’m not getting notifications on my iPhone but my iPad is. Typical Netgear with their awful testing process. Fix one bug and cause another
Ajturton1985
Apprentice
Apprentice
I’m the same. My iPad is fine but both mine and my wife’s iPhone have not been receiving push notifications
kmiller8821
Luminary
Luminary

@DawnM wrote:

@kmiller8821 I posted an update last night at 5pm letting you all know that we were honing in on a fix. The engineering and QA team are now sanity testing the fix, and I should have an update on Monday. Unfortunately until that fix comes out, there is not a feasible work-around. Notifications should work if you keep the app in the foreground, however, we know it is not feasible to have the app constantly in the foreground. Your recordings should be working as expected, but if they are not, please let me know as that has not been reported with this issue. We know it is inconvenient to not receive push notifications, and they are working on getting a fix out as soon as possible.

Thank you for your continued patience!

Dawn Marshall

Arlo Community Manager

My apologies, I did not see it. I was able to find your post at 7:13pm (CST).  I appreciate the efforts and hopefully they will have this sorted. I'm hoping they are also working on the schedule mode issue as well, perhaps that just a display bug within the app itself but I've been seeing all kind of crazy things in the app modes. Some of my custom modes had duplicate rules (one which had notification on and one which had it off) and I wasn't able to delete them from the app. I had to logon to the website to clear them.  I have since deleted my entire schedule and set it all back up, although it says its working from website I'm still not 100% sure it the app is talking properly to the backend. Hopefully this will be resolved soon.