Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
DeviantCelt
Star
Star

I purchased and just set up my Arlo Pro and 2 cameras about 30 minutes ago. One at my front door and one at my back. 

Well, the subject title says it all. When I watch the live feed on my phone, I have maybe a 30 second delay and sometimes it just stops. Yes my internet speeds are good, yes my wireless works just fine with every single thing I've ever connected to it and my phone and the cameras are on the same network. I've read some other complaints about this issue and it possibly being a firmware update.

So I buy this brand new security camera, and the live feed lags terribly and pauses sometimes. What are my options?

12 REPLIES 12
Macanudo
Aspirant
Aspirant

Experiencing same problem, except mine worked great for a year, then from one day to the other they all started lagging during live stream.  The weird thing is that they record just fine, and play back of recordings is fine as well.

Wklovelace3
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Return it while you can. Most of us are past the warranty and stuck with these junky cameras. Mine worked fine for the first 6 months then every time they do a firmware update it screws things up instead of fixing things. My motion detection is really bad now. Misses everything. Ive tried everything from moving the camera camera angle etc. Now im just giving up and accepting it for what it is. A really weak security camera with ongoing issues
DeviantCelt
Star
Star

I really hope I don't have to. This was almost $500. My brother recommended it to me maybe a year ago but apparently it somehow managed to get worse since then.

Wklovelace3
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
I know. Its alot of money. I spent the same. When they work they work great. The problem is there is nowhere to turn when they dont. Support is pathetic. Theyll just tell you to reboot the system. Thats there answer no matter the problem. The camera itself is a decent product. Its the computer programming and engineers that bring down a good product. They even erased my paid upgraded subscription and claimed to know nothing about it when i called. Even though i had a credit card receipt it wasnt valid is what support told me. How does that even make any sense. The support is comical
Wklovelace3
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Dont spend alot of time trying to figure it put 9 times out of 10 its on there side and they have to update your system. Usually not much you can do
DeviantCelt
Star
Star

So my motion sensor went off for the first time. The mailman came and dropped off some packages.

I got a nice recording of me outside picking up the packages after the mailman left. 

I think I'm going to return this garbage.

Wklovelace3
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Thats what mine does. It records someone leaving the house but not walking up to the door. Same with the sidewalk if you walk from the left it catches you right in front of my mailbox but come from the right and nothing. So i guess it will catch the burglars after they have robbed my house
pc2k17
Hero
Hero

@DeviantCelt

Not making excuses here becaue there are definetly some issues with these cameras for some people for the last 5 months for so, but that said.........

Make sure you mount your cameras in such a way that the motion comes across the cameras field of vision, not directly at it. If you walk straight up to the camera motion detection is limited. If you walk across (side to side, at an anlge, etc) the cameras motion detection field of view, it works much better. I'm not using Arlo smart, so mine detects all motion. Mine pick up people and pets from 15-25 feet away, and cars up to 65 feet away. You really have to play with the angle and mounting position.

DeviantCelt
Star
Star

It doesn't have a problem picking up motion. 1) It alerts me way late so I can't look at it live. 2) The recording starts after the person already left. 

Huge delay.

Wklovelace3
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Ive played with the angle. Countless hours. Even moved camera twice. They used to work great . im also careful not to move it when i charge i just plug in. Its just hit or miss . it used to get mailman everyday at noon. Now sometimes it does sometimes not. Its hard to troubleshoot something that is so inconsistent.
Wklovelace3
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Its not just the motion. My man icon that turns orange just lights up randomly even when disarmed. Some days he stays orange for hours. Even when i take battery out and put back in he turns orange again. Also get double videos in library of same exact recording.
pc2k17
Hero
Hero

Remember that these are battery powered cameras, and like most every battery powered camera out there, in order to save battery life, the cameras go to "sleep" when not in use. When they detect motion it takes a second or two to wake up and start recording. If motion is detected at 15-25 feet away, this one or two second "wake up" delay shouldn't affect the recording as the person would still be walking towards the cameras position. If motion is being detected too late, like from 2 feet away, by the time the camera wakes up and start recording the person could turn and start leaving, recording them leaving. My guess is it's still not detecting the motion from far enough away.

Now if the camera is detecting motion at 20 feet away, using the motion detection test in the app, and it still takes a long time to start recording (more than 1-2 seconds), then something is wrong with your setup/system.

Whether it's the system, your camera placement, your base connection strength, or your internet is the question. Since motion detection on my system still works the same as it always did, but others have reported motion detection issues especially those using arlo smart, it's hard to say where the issue is. Some have legit issues with the cameras that arlo needs to fix, and some have issues that can be fixed by the end user.

And BTW - my motion detection notification (android) always comes in right away. Even before the recording is done (I record for 1 minute). I can get the notification, tap it to open the arlo app, and the video isn't even done recording yet.