Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro 2 (new) indicates charging but will no longer go beyond 1%

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
martincc
Luminary
Luminary

My Arlo system includes Arlo Q, Arlo Pro 2, Alro Pro, and Arlo cameras covering a home far away that I rarely visit. This post is about reliability of the product and mixed experiences of dealing with tech support. 

One Arlo Pro 2 is installed high in a tree charging off an Arlo Solar Panel. This camera was installed in March 2018 and at first it seemed to work and charge fine. It was left off for most of March and into May. When I checked it in May the camera charge was low; I dismissed this thinking weeks of rain on and off might have blocked sun to the solar panel. After weather cleared that camera died, went off line.

I contacted Arlo Tech Support, they were to coordinate sending a replacement camera to arrive at my main home the week of 18 June, this in time for my visit on week of 4 July; they blew the promised delivery date. Finally a package arrived, it was only a new battery pack for the Arlo Pro 2, not a complete new cameras as promised! By the time I worked tediously back through Tech Support to find anyone who would really help, the new Arlo Pro 2 camera (and a new replacement Arlo Q - solved the 'clicking alarm' problem) arrived only on 5 July, the day I was to leave.

On 5 July I had just enough time to install the new camera and connect to the Solar Panel, then left that house with the Arlo systems fully on. Sunday 7 July was last day that I'd seen this camera on line, fully charged. By 10 July the new camera was dead off line. On 18 July I paid to have a local handyman company visit to pull and reinstall the battery - the camera reset and came back up on the network, but indicating only 1% battery charged, though connected and charging off the Solar Panel at 3:30 pm. Later on 18 July by 6 pm I found the camera still at 1% NOT CHARGING - the sun was still well up! I am not there to solve this, I have paid $125 for someone to visit.

As I type this I am again waiting on hold for Tech Support, still looking for answers about why this new camera is not working, and with no plans to visit that home until around Labor Day.

This has great potential, and is already probably 70 percent of where I'd like it to be. But given my 2018 experiences I conclude the Netgear Arlo system is not yet reliable enough to be trusted, much less trusted to protect a location where someone is not there to periodically babysit the system.

Have experienced numerous hiccups with some components, and most of the time Netgear has been responsive and timely. 2018 has seen a change with really long waits to reach Tech Support, promises made by them to send replacement items either late (messes up timing if I try to plan a visit to change out gear), and at times no call back as promised.

1 REPLY 1
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Arlo is going thru a split... yes, customer serv has been bad lately... but,  I have no doubt it will get better again

https://www.androidheadlines.com/2018/02/arlo-split-netgear-late-2018-ipo.html

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------