Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 22 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 7 In Conversation
Mobalized
Tutor
Tutor

I have only had my camera 30 days and I have now read all the horror stories about the battery drain issues. I didn't have any problems until 10/14 when I charged my camera for the first time. I had been averaging 1-2% battery loss per day. I'm now at the point I'm losing 25% per day. Even with 0-1 alert overnight I lost > 10%. I spoke to support and they weren't any help, I've reset everything multiple times, power cycled multiple times. They are sending another battery to test, but am I alone with battery issues after the latest firmware?

I'm really regretting the decision to buy Arlo already due to issues like this in the first 30 days. If I could still return the product I'd be darn tempted.

22 REPLIES 22
Redmoonstar
Luminary
Luminary

Have you tried to do a factory reset? Remove all the camera's and the base station from your account then get a paperclip and press into the reset hole at the back of the base station. Once it restarts then add the base station to your account and then sync camera's. Check that you have the latest firmware also for camera's and base station. The battery drain also depends on how much and how long each camera records for, the more use the quicker the battery drains. If you have a charging pod these are better than the cable plugged in to the camera to charge as they charge to 100% but through the camera it doesn't charge to 100% even though is says 100% it's to protect the battery from overcharging I think.

Mobalized
Tutor
Tutor

I've factory reset the unit multiple times. I have the latest firmware. The camera can not record at all and it's losing tens of percent per day. I do not have the charging pod.

empeee
Tutor
Tutor

I am also having the same problem starting with the 10/14/18 firmware update. Battery is dying in 1-2 days. I have factory reset and readded cameras with no impact on the issue.

Redmoonstar
Luminary
Luminary

Contact support using the green button at the bottom of the page,  then click on contact support again on the second page.  Put your country in so the contact options come up for your country.  Inform support of the steps you have already done to try and fix the issue. 

Mobalized
Tutor
Tutor

Redmoonstar - no disrespect but please go back and read my original post. Everything you've said so far I've already done.

I'm not here to get pointed to support who I've already talked to. I'm here to see if other users are experiencing the same issue and if they've found a solution yet.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Mobalized,

Is this happening with a individual camera or all cameras? If it is a single camera, have you tried to swap locations with another camera to see if you can isolate the issue to the camera/battery?

Mobalized
Tutor
Tutor
Only one camera, it's a one camera system at the moment. I've rebooted the system a few more times, recharged it, and am keeping an eye on discharge rate again.
empeee
Tutor
Tutor

I have four cameras. The battery drain is occuring on all four, regardless of location.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

empeee,

Have you moved your base station or router around? It sounds like there could possibly be some frequency interference with the base station or the cameras. Have the cameras appeared offline frequently as well?

empeee
Tutor
Tutor
After multiple factory resets, it seems to have resolved itself. I've been adding cameras slowly one by one and no drain on the first two. I will report back if the last two pose any problem.
empeee
Tutor
Tutor
I believe I have tracked the issue down to a IFTTT applet where I take a 10 second video every hour. I ran it for 17 hours today and my battery dropped from 94% to 36%. That's a total of less than 3 minutes of video, so I don't think it should be using that much battery. Not to mention the fact that this applet has been running with no problem for over a year. This massive drain only started after the 10/14 update.
AncientGeek
Hero
Hero
Mobalized
Tutor
Tutor
I'm not certain yet, but mine also appears to be from a 3rd party integration I've been using since buying the camera.
empeee
Tutor
Tutor

Does anyone know who is responsible for the IFTTT integration? Is that community supported or Arlo supported?  Just want to know who to bug about this issue...

Mobalized
Tutor
Tutor
I though mine had resolved itself as well. I was wrong.

17% drain today
Redmoonstar
Luminary
Luminary

I have one camera on battery,  I charged it on the 26th Sept after the new firmware and used the charging pod.  I had to recharge on the 12th Oct after 16 days,  use is up slightly as we are away so camera's are armed 24/7. One the 30th Sept I started getting notifications but no recordings from the camera's and have to restart the base station at least once to twice a day which is difficult as I'm traveling and have intermittent service.  I have noticed when I'm getting notifications and no recording the battery seems to drain a lot faster.  Last night the battery was at 68% I got 3 notifications for motion with NO recordings and the battery is now 58%. I have 5 camera's but due to battery drain issues I have 3 outdoor charging cables connected and a solar panel due to where camera is located, unfortunately where my fifth camera is I'm unable to connect a charging cable and I refuse to give Arlo any more money after they caused this issue along with many other issues so I have to get my son to recharge the battery while we are away. My use is  now 24/7 instead of 18/7 son not much different and my camera's used to last 2-3 months per charge which was fine, I'm away for 6 weeks so the camera should have been fine instead it's been charged once and will Likely need another one before I return. 

wicket

Mobalized
Tutor
Tutor
It seems that removing all third party integrations fixed it. Still seems suspicious this all started when the last update came..
Jeffc2
Aspirant
Aspirant
  1. New here and not sure if this is best place to pose this question.. Arlo Pro with 3 cameras, 1 outside and always on, 2 inside and on infrequently- about 10 mos use. First charge lasted about 4-5 mos on all but since then have had intermittent rapid drain sometimes over several days followed by periods of charge lasting several mos (on all the cameras). Did all the recommended stuff like rebooting etc and oddly the only thing that seems to have made a difference is opening and closing the battery compartment door after charging completed (battery not removed). Since doing this now about 4 times no rapid drain. All before latest update I think but no rapid loss since the update at least.  Don't know if it's a coincidence or dumb luck (and my batteries could drain tomorrow).....Anyone else notice this or have any thoughts?
AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

I think the only way to reboot a camera is to pop the battery like you did...opening the door and likely breaking contact.  Perhaps rebooting the camera made the difference.  Others have reported that 3rd party integrations appeared to be related to rapid battery drain after the release of 2.6.0.  Though you didn’t mention any 3rd party integrations like IFTTT.

Jeffc2
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks AncientGreek- no 3rd party stuff and I want to be clear that I only opened the battery compartment door and did not remove the battery itself. (Maybe that's the same thing electronically- I don't know.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Opening the battery door by itself does nothing but the battery may have broken contact briefly as a result. To reset a Pro camera, the battery has to be reseated.

Jeffc2
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for reply and information- certainly makes sense