Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
JimCav
Guide
Guide

My Arlo Pro Base Station (VMB4000) will not boot up! I have tried pulling the power plug, left it unplugged for up to 5 minutes. pulled the internet connection for the base station and the router and reconnected both. Power on the base, all green lights come on then go off the power light then turns amber and stays that way, the other 2 light NEVER come on. I also have tried changing what port the Arlo is connected to in the router, no luck. And yes all ports on the router are working fine. This started a couple days ago and I have trying to get it working ever since. Just bought it in December 2018! System is down and not working at all. Anyone who knows what they are talking about, I would really appreciate your HELP.

115 REPLIES 115
Tingyunliu
Apprentice
Apprentice

@target wrote:

@Tingyunliu wrote:
Getting RMA. I assume that you Aee still under warranty? Or maybe you have subscription? My warranty expired (bought May 2018), and no subscription service...

No on both counts. My system was purchased August 2017. I think that this is issue is likely the result of a bad firmware update (though this is just specualation on my part).

I am almost certain this is a firmware issue.  Otherwise, how could so many people encounter the exact same issue in the last couple weeks.  Arlo is frustrating without providing any updates!  And it appears that they don't care at all!

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@Tingyunliu

Have you tried contacting customer support at the following links provided above?

Arlo Tech Support

ZiggyUK
Guide
Guide

Hi ShayneS

"Have you previously contacted customer support? I have provided the link here - Arlo Tech Support"

I am in the UK (clue is in the name lol) and tried via the Live Chat but never get an answer.  My unit VMB4000 is just still within the years warranty and all I need is a RMA.  I am disabled old IT techie and not able to call some over inflated costing hotline.  I just want a simple RMA and an address to send it to, or better still a courier collection option.

We all know this is a firmware update fault as it always coincides with the update happening so Netgear should really be sending out a recall to all the effected units.

JimCav
Guide
Guide

I just went thru the same, went thru all the troubleshooting a couple times, tried different solutions that the communnity gave me, all to NO avail. My suggestion to you go sign on to your Arlo account and contact Tech Support, you can file a claim online or thru a chat. If they determine your base is faulty (like mine) they will issue you a RMA for product return. That is what I ended up doing. Good Luck. Ya pay a good buck for this system and it does not work, very frustrating. From what i have seen, several others are experiancing the same thing. Some say it had to do with an update, cant answer that one, just know it dont work.

target
Guide
Guide

@ZiggyUK wrote:

Hi ShayneS

"Have you previously contacted customer support? I have provided the link here - Arlo Tech Support"

I am in the UK (clue is in the name lol) and tried via the Live Chat but never get an answer.  My unit VMB4000 is just still within the years warranty and all I need is a RMA.  I am disabled old IT techie and not able to call some over inflated costing hotline.  I just want a simple RMA and an address to send it to, or better still a courier collection option.

We all know this is a firmware update fault as it always coincides with the update happening so Netgear should really be sending out a recall to all the effected units.

I am in the UK too, and telephone support is a freephone number. As soon as I went through the issues the agent put me on hold for a few minutes while they discussed it with someone else. When they came back online they told me it was an issue that Engineering knew about, and said I would receive an RMA email shortly. It arrived next day. It's then just a question of clicking the link in the email to start the RMA process. You will then be offered 3 options (none of them entirely  free). You can post it back yourself (you will be liable for postage) or else you can opt for a couple of more expensive options (£15 - 20 if I recall correctly) where they will courier you a replacement with prepaid return postage. I opted for the first (cost me a little over £5).

BTR32
Tutor
Tutor

Yes, I contacted Arlo and they solved my problem really quickly. They opened a RMA and I received a repaired unit in 3 days (that's remarkable, taking into account that I am in Spain, not the US). It should not have broken in 6 months, but I couldn't be happier with the attention received. I thought it was only fair to tell my positive experience here 🙂

janettechud
Star
Star

I purchased a new base station.  Plugged it in following correct sequence.  3 green lights showed up for a few seconds then a steady amber light on the power button.

This is identical to the original base station.  I conclude from this that it is unlikely that two base stations would have the same problem.  So i am at a loss as to what to do?  I am seeking serious expertise.  Thank you 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@janettechud wrote:

This is identical to the original base station.  I conclude from this that it is unlikely that two base stations would have the same problem.  

That is weird.  Are you using the old power adapter, or the new one that came with the new base?

If you are using the new power adapter, then maybe also test the circuit with another device (a light or something).

If power looks good, then reach out to support (again).

janettechud
Star
Star
I have identical problem. Even bought new base station and still not working
janettechud
Star
Star
I bought a new base station and the problem is the same!
Tingyunliu
Apprentice
Apprentice

it's so unbelievable that the new one still does not work!!!  I can't imagine what Arlo support is doing...

@janettechud wrote:
I bought a new base station and the problem is the same!

Dudemotogp
Aspirant
Aspirant

i bought a new base and was able to get it going straight of the box. Just got to make sure that you delete the old base from the app. i mean all the apps. your phone, tablet, and computer if you log in that way.

Dudemotogp
Aspirant
Aspirant

@ShayneS wrote:

@Dudemotogp

Is this the only camera with the syncing issue?

i outlooked one element. since the camera was still on while i was waiting for support to see why my base was not syncing with the wrong MAC address. The battery was drained to empty. I recharged all my batteries and was able to get it going. I am all set and now i am stuck with a base that doesn't work and honestly should be reimbursed for Netgear's screw up.

Tingyunliu
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hi,

Many of us have the same issue happend in the last month or so.  I highly suspect this was due to a firmware update.  Do you know if there are ways to install older versions of firmare?  Since it's not connected wirelessly, are there ways to do update with wire?  Thanks.

@StephenB wrote:

@janettechud wrote:

This is identical to the original base station.  I conclude from this that it is unlikely that two base stations would have the same problem.  

That is weird.  Are you using the old power adapter, or the new one that came with the new base?

If you are using the new power adapter, then maybe also test the circuit with another device (a light or something).

If power looks good, then reach out to support (again).

doug725sa
Guide
Guide

Did you all receive a push notification that your app will not longer work  and needed to install the new version.  On my Android I'm running version 2.8.0_258870 . Released 08/23/19 .   

Remember to delete your old Base before installing new one.

Of course this doesn't matter much since my base station doesn't work... Waiting on a shipping notification for my replacement.

Dudemotogp
Aspirant
Aspirant

@doug725sa wrote:

Did you all receive a push notification that your app will not longer work  and needed to install the new version.  On my Android I'm running version 2.8.0_258870 . Released 08/23/19 .   

Of course this doesn't matter much since my base station doesn't work... Waiting on a shipping notification for my replacement.

i actually sync everything with the old version couple weeks ago. I just switch over to the new app yesterday.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@doug725sa wrote:

Not sure what you meant by this exactly.  You don't need to delete your base before installing the new app.  

You should delete the base when you take the base out of service though.

Tingyunliu
Apprentice
Apprentice

I deleted my base from the iOS app.  Then I cannot conncet it back because the base is now without internet (solid amber light).  I am very stuck and waiting if anyone might find a solution...

janettechud
Star
Star
My base station was 2 years old when the amber light appeared not so long ago ... so I bought a new
Base station 4000. The new base station is acting the same as the old one. I just have an amber light on the power! I do now have a ticket number with manufacturer but as so many others have the same problem ... I don’t think this is my equipment! My system has been down for a few weeks now and this is a disappointing outcome. I have thousands of dollars invested in ArlonPro
Tingyunliu
Apprentice
Apprentice
Since there are so many people have the same exact problem (solid amber light, no internet, MAC address FF:00:00...) that just happened in the last couple weeks, I do NOT believe this is a hardware issue. The bad thing is that Arlo keeps silence about that issue they created!
janettechud
Star
Star
I am wondering if this is a regional area problem - specifically not mainstream USA? I’m in Canada in the summer but my winter home in USA also has Arlo Pro and still working.
kirwin97
Aspirant
Aspirant
Yes I was suppose to receive a call last Thursday but haven’t yet.
janettechud
Star
Star

The company’s stock has tanked over 80% since August - the company got sold off from Netgear about a year ago when it went public. Looks like there is a squeeze on profits and the company’s user base is less important than its share holders. A very unhappy time for us users.

janettechud
Star
Star
Tingyunliu
Apprentice
Apprentice

I did, and received no reply!

@ShayneS wrote:

@Tingyunliu

Have you tried contacting customer support at the following links provided above?

Arlo Tech Support