Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
sward6368
Apprentice
Apprentice
When logging in today received notification firmware update required, "Lets start with base station". After saying update base station it comes back in a few minutes with error Base_station_error_ 4403 the status on all camers is back to firmware update needed, lets start with base station. 1) I see no posting in the release notes for this base station firmware 2) what is the update correcting 3) what did Arlo break again so the firmware will not update and how should I correct this as now my cameras are useless pending the update being applied Thanks
98 REPLIES 98
ChinJing
Luminary
Luminary

i also got the base station message error 4403 cannot update the firmware and now cannot do live view as the cameras say i have to update the firmware for both them and base station first!!!! its just keeps getting worse!!!

Robot Mad

sjunwood
Star
Star

O am having the same issue

sward6368
Apprentice
Apprentice

And before anyone suggested it. already tried restarting base station multiple times as was suggested in a prior post I found with similar symptoms.  Didnt make a difference.

sjunwood
Star
Star

I have rebooted several times as-well and it has not helped. 

Why woul they require a Firmware update  to use the system. 

They should allow the system to work until the update is installed. 

atleast that way it would be usable. 

mgbnet
Apprentice
Apprentice

I've been having similar problems with my VMB3010r2 base station.

They issued a firmware update (1.12.2.1_2798 for VMB3010r2) on April 22nd which failed to install on many people's base stations. They then withdrew that update and said they need to test it more.

They reissued the same firmware on May 22nd and many people's base stations failed to update still. They didn't retract it this time, so I've been stuck with problems for over two weeks. I cannot get live view of my cameras as it insists that I need to update the firmware. Rebooting or factory resetting the base station has no impact.

I'm on the verge of ditching Arlo and going for something more supported. If you look around the community forum, Arlo have been messing up firmware updates regularly for a long time.

Two weeks with no fix and no withdrawl of the broken VMB3010r2 firmware is ridiculous!!

jm_socal
Initiate
Initiate

Tried to update the base station and got the 4403 message.  I reset the base station by turning it off and then back on.  Everything now works.  I no longer have the update required message and I can do live camera.

ru4US
Tutor
Tutor

Any fix yet? I too am having the same update issues. Even after restarting base station. 

ChinJing
Luminary
Luminary
Seems like it has updated by itself now after a few hours.
KCDesert42
Guide
Guide

My cameras are useles as this forced firmware upgrade will NOT load. It keeps resetting the message on my cameras within the app! This is ridiculous, Arlo, you and I are DONE. 

sward6368
Apprentice
Apprentice

Mine finally completed, after many attempts and restarts - then my base station showing offlibe for an extended period of time (~45 mins) it appears back on line and can view live video as well as capturing recordings.

philglov
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same issue

ru4US
Tutor
Tutor

This is what worked for me: At the base station, I pressed the power button off, waited about 15 seconds, then I pressed the power button back on. Several minutes later, all 3 base station LED's were green again.

Also, on the app, the "Update Required" notification was gone. And Live View & Motion Detection are both working properly. 

To verify the update took, I scrolled down to the base station, clicked on "Device Info", and I was able to see that the firmware actually updated to 1.12.2.2 2754. 

Does anyone know what this new update is about? Hopefully it doesn't come with other frustrating bugs, especially with the geofencing. It has always been inconsistent in the 2 years I've had the Arlo system. But, otherwise I love my Arlo. Hope this works for you. 

Arlopro181
Tutor
Tutor

I had the same issue. Would not update since this am. I first unplugged all connections going into the base station, then cut off the unit using the "on/off" switch on the back. When I cut it back on, all cameras were offline, but I logged out, then back into the app . . . and all cameras now online, and firmware had been installed. I believe it had been updated the entire time today, just the app was hanging up and not showing it had been done. 

MrA2u1
Apprentice
Apprentice

I am glad to hear that powering down MAY help the update. I am 1000 miles from my house that is having the issue. My other home that I am in is working fine. Great firmware update. If my house gets robbed while i am unable to monitor, I smell a lawsuit in the works.

mikepwagner
Guide
Guide

When I logged in today, all of the cameras said “A firmware update is required for your base station and camera. Let’s start with the base station.”  and there is an “Update Base station” button.

So I push that button, and an hour later, I log in again and get the same message.

So I go to the Base Station info, to says an update is available, so I select “Update Firmware”. I am pretty surprised when the the Base Station does no apparently reboot - if Arlo can install new firmware wihout a reboot, I am very impressed.

So I wait an hour and log in again, and get the same message.

I tell the Base Station to reboot and wait an hour and the same message.

This is brand new - to me - Base Station that is a replacement for a Base Station that would not update even using the power clips in the reset hole method with Alro support on the line for 2 hours.

Both the version in bold on the Firmware page for the Base Station and the italics at the bottom say 1.12.2.2_2754. The xagent is 3.2.7-rc1.

Does that mean that the firmware has been successfully installed? 

If not, how do I install the new firmware?

mikepwagner
Guide
Guide

Just as a note, when I tried to update from a web browser on  a computer, the browser offered to update to the 1.12.2.2_2754 release. 

Then it popped up an error base_station_error_4403.

I don’t know if that’s really an error, or if that’s a side effect of a reboot.

I will wait an hour and see what happens.

MyPSP
Aspirant
Aspirant
Same here as well. App keeps saying that the base station has to be updated for its firmware. Clicked the update, app ran update for about 2 or 3 seconds then showed again that the base station had an update available. No reboot, nothing seems to be done. Current firmware is 1.12.2.1_2798, new firmware is 1.12.2.2_2754. Please anyone can help would be appreciated.
jam436
Apprentice
Apprentice

I had the same 4403 error first thing this morning.
One power cycle of the base and it took. YMMV

MrA2u1
Apprentice
Apprentice
Well, after about 10 times, it looks like the firmware update finally took remotely without me having to fly there to manually restart the base. Hopefully all is good for s while.
JustAnElf2
Apprentice
Apprentice

I too must throw my hat into the pool.  When I click on the firmware update button, it won't update.  A reboot doesn't help.

mikepwagner
Guide
Guide
My plan right now is to wait overnight and see what happens.

If that doesn’t work, I may bring all of my cameras into the same room, power cycle the base station, and then try the update again.

My sense is that the firmware on the base station is updated, but maybe it’s having a hard time pushing the update to one or more of the cameras.

Who know?

Some kind of progress indicator or useful error message would certainly be helpful.
mikepwagner
Guide
Guide
Actually, my cameras say no update is available, so maybe it’s just the base station.
JustAnElf2
Apprentice
Apprentice
I finally got it to work. For me i kept pressing the upgrade button until the base unit went offline. About 5 minutes later it came back with the new firmware.
mikepwagner
Guide
Guide
Physically power cycling the base station has appeared to do the job for me. I used the power switch on the back of the base station, and it took a satisfyingly long time to reboot, with much amber blinking of the power light.

When it completed booting, the new firmware was installed and no new updates were available.

I will call that a success - until the next time.