Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
GaryS1969
Tutor
Tutor

Geofencing is set up on both mine and my wifes Android phone. When she leaves her status changes to Out Of Zone. When I leave my status changes to Out Of Zone. When either of us returns their status changes to In Zone so Arlo seems to recognize when one or both of us is home and when one or both of us is gone. Geofencing is turned on on both phones.

Under Mode/Arlo Base/Geofencing/Select Mode it shows Away Mode = Armed and Home Mode = Disarmed. The problem is under Mode it always shows Arlo Base as Disarmed. Is this supposed to change automatically to Armed when both of us are gone?

Also under Settings/My Devices it shows Arlo Base and under that a second Arlo Base with a bell and then the three cameras. Selecting Arlo base it shows me a bunch of information. Selecting Arlo Base with the bell it just shows the name Arlo Base.

If the Mode status for Arlo base is supposed to change based on whether both of us are gone or one or both of us is home what might be the reason it is not changing?

89 REPLIES 89
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

A frequent solution is to remove special characters from the iPhone's name which have been causing an issue.

AlexSans
Tutor
Tutor
Hi, thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately It didn’t work for me.
Dittod1
Aspirant
Aspirant

This was it!  Yea my wife's phone had an apostrophe (Kaitlin's Phone) in the name under the iOS settings.  As soon as I removed this it worked.  Just in case this was a two part solution, I did have her phone logged in under my main Arlo account when I changed the name.  Her phone is now back to the secondary account and everything now works as it should.  

rcm1946
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for that I Have an iPhoneX and was driving myself crazy ovver geofencing not working. I'm now all set.

Mogridged
Aspirant
Aspirant
Having just purchased and set up an Arlo Pro Base Station and Arlo Pro Camera, I’ve had the same problems but have just found a fix. The first problem was my phone not being listed in the Geofence mode (I have the admin account), when clicking on Enabled Devices, my girlfriend’s phone was listed but mine only flashed up momentarily and then disappeared, as discussed above, changing my phone name to remove the apostrophe worked. The next problem was to get both phones into the zone as they appeared as unavailable. To do this I logged out of both phones and then logged into my girlfriend’s with my user details and logged into mine with her’s. Finally, logged out of both and logged back in with the right user details i.e. mine on my phone and her’s on her phone. Both phones now appear and show in zone. My dilemma now though, is given the faff to get it working and bearing in mind it has been purchased as a security camera and therefore concerns with its reliability,, do I get a refund from Amazon or persevere?
AlexSans
Tutor
Tutor
Think about all the work that it took without any help from support.
I now have 3 cameras that don’t work. I would return them if you’re asking. That’s just my opinion based on my experience and price of product.
Shouldn’t require all that
jcakm
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am having the same issue with the iPhone X. I can get it to select the device if I act fast as mine disappares as well... but it still doesnt work because its noting that the phone is unavailable! So far, I can't find a fix!!!

AlexSans
Tutor
Tutor
Sorry you’re having issues like me and many others. Some people have posted that some tricks have work such as removing speacial characters from your iphones name.
Didn’t work for me but you can try. 3 of my 4 cameras no longer work so I won’t be buying anymore. Good luck with yours.
Mogridged
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thanks for the replies. I’ve been testing the system inside for the past week and whilst it appears to work Ok ish (geofencing is still a bit temperamental), I will be returning it for a refund as i can’t trust it will do what I originally purchased it for. Real shame as on paper it appears to be a good solution but given the amount I would have spent by adding another 3 cameras, I can’t take the risk of it falling over and will probably be in similar price territory of a professionally installed system.
AlexSans
Tutor
Tutor
Wish I would have done what you’re doing. Too late for me but good for you.
jcakm
Aspirant
Aspirant
UPDATE: I have found a work around. Not sure which did the trick, so I’ll list all of what I did. I do know that just renaming my phone did not prevent it from disappearing on the list while trying to select.

1. While away from “Home” I went into the app and made sure my location services was transmitting to Arlo. My location Updates on the map so I knew we were good there.
2. I unselected all paired devices for geofenceing and saved. Closed the app.
3. Renamed my phone in phone settings to remove all punctuation and spaces. (NameiPhoneX)
3. While back in the app I selected the phone that kept disappearing first and only then saved as quickly as possible. If you go to the prior page and under devices you see (1) selected but your phone name still disappears when you’re in the devices page, it’s still selected. You need to be quick with this task!
4. Since you’re away from home, you will need to manually enter your home address and update.
5. With devices showing one, you can go in and select additional devices if needed and save.
6. Repeat for each camera.
Once this is done once for each camera, your new phone will remain on the list and will no longer diappear..
PaulB12
Aspirant
Aspirant

The Privacy settings is what the issue was with my phone  Settings>Privacy.Locations Services "on">Arlo .Always

AlexSans
Tutor
Tutor
It’s like trying to crack the davinci code. Wtf?!
swinokur
Aspirant
Aspirant

Geofencing is only half working, and even then it's undependable. When I leave it switches to Home -Away mode most of the time. Returning says in Home zone but never swithese to Home disarms. Only way to make it disarm is to open the app, then it switches. C'mon Netgear fix this bug or stop telling people it's a feature of the app. It's only a feature if it WORKS.

agmed74
Aspirant
Aspirant

When using geofencing, my arlo app shows "disarmed", at all times. When I leave and enter the zone, it shows me in and out properly. I also receive a message showing that arlo has changed to away or home mode. My wifes arlo shows it armed or disarmed properly on geofencing. No matter what mine always shows "disarmed", whether it is armed or not. This is only with geofencing, which we use 99% of the time. 

I'm up to date on version of arlo and iphone software. This was working fine before the last 2 updates of arlo. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the app with the same issue occuring. I have also redone the geofencing mode, renamed what the modes it goes to when in and out of zone, etc etc and it still shows "disarmed" on mine, while displaying the proper name and setting on my wifes. I have an iphone 8+. 

Anyone have a fix?