Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo pro problems with color and motion detection

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Jrallen03
Aspirant
Aspirant
I just bought the arlo pro 4 camera system 2 days ago. I have had problems with 2 of the cameras. One inside is almost always in black and white. I have turned off night vision and reset system as mentioned in other threads but still in black and white. It has been that way since i first put it up. It has also never picked up any motion from my animals (the other one in the house has). The other camera I have outside facing my driveway. It has never picked up any motion at all. My garbage man came last night and it didn't set off the motion detection. My driveway is the end of the road so the truck has to turn around in my driveway to leave. The other outside camera picked up a cat running by and a couple of neighbor kids coming to the door. If 2 cameras can pick up something as small as a cat, how can one not pick up a garbage truck? I have all cameras motion sensitivity at 100%. I set them up and they all(outside of the black and white) seemed to work fine. I put them up and left for vacation. I want to return them but I threw away the box before I left. Can I still return the system when I get back? Or can someone please help me correct these issues?
7 REPLIES 7
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
B&W implies low light level. The position may be in a shared area where the camera switches to B&W to get you a better picture than full color would provide. Night vision is only for the IR illuminators, not for the need to switch.

If you think a camera has an issue, swap them around to see if the issue stays with the camera or the position. Motion detection can be due to the distance to the subject as well as the sensitivity setting. To change the sensitivity, edit your modes and rules - full details are in the FAQs.
Jrallen03
Aspirant
Aspirant
The room is not shaded and with all lights on its still in B&W. The camera has shown color images a couple of times so I know the image is not better in B&W. The rationale with distance also makes no sense. The garbage truck has to pull right up to where I have the camera to turn around....the other camera in the same location just facing the opposite direction was able to pick up a cat much lower to the ground and farther away than a truck would be. Also, I know how to change the sensitivity as I said I have it at 100%. What exactly should I be changing it to? Does it go beyond 100%?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
While it certainly coul be a camera problem, swapping cameras around woul prove the case.
Jrallen03
Aspirant
Aspirant
How can I set the cameras to record 24/7? I've swapped the outside cameras around and one definitely has better motion detection than the other but it's still not what I need. I have a car usually sitting in the driveway and with the original camera facing the driveway I could walk all the way around the car and leave with it and never pick up camera motion. The other one did pick up as I was driving away but wouldn't be helpful at all identifying a person stealing it.
Jrallen03
Aspirant
Aspirant
The car is 23ft away from the camera
Jrallen03
Aspirant
Aspirant
And the inside camera is still B&W but I've decided I can live with it. It does pick up human motion so that's what I'm really wanting.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
The wireless cameras are motion operated and don't record 24/7. Your battery would deplete quickly. Even if you plug them in the operation doesn't change.