Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
tonylock83
Aspirant
Aspirant
Would it be safe to have these cameras mounted outside in a place where they would be exposed to heavy rain?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

tonylock83,

Yes, Arlo Pro cameras are weatherproof by design. For more information on this, take a look here: Are Arlo Pro Wire-Free cameras weatherproof?

JamesC

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

While anything's possible, I've had mine outside since the beginning.  While they're typically somewhat protected, being under eaves, they've been blasted by wind, rain, snow, fog with few issues.  I do get water droplets on occasion which certainly affects video quality but it's rare.  Just make sure your battery covers are properly closed and not cocked.

manofice
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
I think you're safe. I have three outside with two kind of protected by roof over hang and one completely exposed. The exposed one went through an ice storm and had three inch icicles hanging from it and it worked flawlessly. It's been raining here the past two days and it's been fine as well.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

tonylock83,

Yes, Arlo Pro cameras are weatherproof by design. For more information on this, take a look here: Are Arlo Pro Wire-Free cameras weatherproof?

JamesC

DaveWoj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

"However, Arlo Pro AC power adapters and adapter cables are not weatherproof."

So really, they are not 100% weatherproof.

If they were 100% weatherproof, the micro usb connection would be sealed when the cable was connected.

Many of us have "modified" the connector with silicone or mastic tape if we want to power 100% by AC power.

This was a poor oversight when designing the pro especially since that was a feature many of us were asking for instead of modifying the battery compartment on the original Arlo with alligator clips etc.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

DaveWoj,

If you would like to use your Arlo Pro outdoors with a power adapter, take a look at this option for powering outdoors: Outdoor Power Adapter (VMA4700)

JamesC

DaveWoj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Yes, that is an option and possibly a solution.

Unfortunately, I am unable to comment on or recommend an accessory that doesn't exist.