Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
Tmmk70
Tutor
Tutor
I am looking to buy either the pro or pro 2 but am concerned about cold weather durability. I live in Wisconsin and it does get very cold at least 3 months a year...ie below freezing to up to -25. If i power them directly to an outlet will they continue to work? I read that they dont work below12f because of the batteries. If they would work being directly plugged in i would consider buying either of these. Any suggestions?? Thanks i dont want to buy something that won't work 3 months out of the year.
7 REPLIES 7
steve_t
Master Master
Master

I don't think there's an outdoor power supply at the moment as they recalled the previous batch, presumably with a problem.
I also don't think, even with a fixed power supply, that the camera would continue to work at -25F though continuous power and a silicon skin definitely keeps it warmer

Tmmk70
Tutor
Tutor
The -25 is an extreme. Average is gonna be around 0 Fahrenheit. Was just hoping they would still work majority of the time.. so no direct easy to plug into an outlet if i run a cord?..
steve_t
Master Master
Master

I wouldn't risk it. The outdoor adapter had a specific connection to weather seal it. I think they're rejigging that bit to make sure it's weather-tight. If you run the normal cable for indoor use, you're very likely, especially at low temperatures, to get moisture in the connection and risk a short or, worse, a fire. You've probably already seen the temp rating range is -4F up to 113F but yeah, I wonder if that's limited by battery function

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

From tests I did a year ago, the camera shuts down at aprox -4 F

doesnt matter if battery is installed or not.

As to battery, it just will not charge below freezing 

PS funny thing was the original Arlo cam sitting in the freezer next to it worked fine and also worked fine to -10 F.  ( cold as it ever  got ) .... Cells did show a voltage sag tho from cold 

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
SokoRanch
Aspirant
Aspirant
I just purchased the Arlo Pro (4) camera system. Worked fine the last 2 weeks. Our temperatures have hit -20C w/o windchill and cameras won’t work. Status reads camera needs to warm up.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Operating temperature for Arlo Pro cameras is -4° to 113° F (-20° C to 45° C). For more information, take a look at this article: Are Arlo Pro Wire-Free cameras weatherproof?

For your safety and to avoid permanent damage to your batteries, your batteries do not charge at temperatures below freezing, even if your camera is plugged in. The Arlo Solar Panel also cannot charge your battery at temperatures below freezing. Take a look here: How do I keep my Arlo batteries charged in cold weather?

JamesC

Dragster5408
Initiate
Initiate
I made a low budget camera heater out of a soup can, plumbing heat trace, and a piece of insulation.. I wrapped the soup can with the heat trace then wrapped the whole thing in insulation. Put the camera inside ,keeps it warm enough to operate . Works at -30c so far.