Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Johnsond28
Initiate
Initiate
After updating to iOS 15, my wife’s geofencing no longer works. On her phone even tho it’s working on mine. I find She needs to open the app and then it figures out her locations has changed. Arlo is there going to be a fix for this ?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Thank you for providing your feedback. Arlo is working with Apple to address the issue you are experiencing with iOS 15 and Geofencing. We will provide updates/resolution as they come up. This issue has been previously reported and it should be fixed with a subsequent release from Apple.

Thank you

View solution in original post

Best answers
  • ShayneS
    Arlo Moderator
    Arlo Moderator

Thank you for providing your feedback. Arlo is working with Apple to address the issue you are experiencing with iOS 15 and Geofencing. We will provide updates/resolution as they come up. This issue has been previously reported and it should be fixed with a subsequent release from Apple.

Thank you

39 REPLIES 39
grillinisti
Tutor
Tutor
I have same problem, but it is on both phones that has location settings enabled. This is really annoying to open app every time when leaving or coming home.
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

I have a few questions for you:

• Which phone are you experiencing this issue with?
  • what OS version are you running?
  • What app version are you using?

Thank you 

grillinisti
Tutor
Tutor
App version 3.5.5 (2967)
My phone is iPhone 11 Pro Max and my wife iPhone Xs Max, both have iOS 15.0.1
Geofenching works only when you start app, then it updates location. Location is allways on for Arlo app in iOS settings.
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Can you update to version 3.5.6 and test again? If you do not see the update in the App Store, please remove & reinstall the Arlo app to receive the update.

Dferg
Apprentice
Apprentice
Hi. I have the same issue with iOS 15.0.1 and Arlo app 3.56. 2 x iPhones running geofencing correctly for months (since last outage with updates from Arlo) now suddenly stopped working again. Only way to switch to away mode is to open app which is the whole point of the geofencing. Can I expect a fix soon?
Dferg
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hi. I have an issue with geofencing, it’s stopped working. iOS 15.0.1 and Arlo app 3.5.6. 2 x iPhones running geofencing correctly for months (since last outage with updates from Arlo) now suddenly stopped working again. The only way to switch to away/home mode is to open app which is the whole point of the geofencing. Can I expect a fix soon? Both phones have iOS up to date as well as Arlo app

dfp42
Star
Star

I've been through all the troubleshooting several times. In a nutshell:

Settings -> Arlo: Location = "Always"

Settings-> Cellular: Arlo = "On"

Settings-> Notifications: Arlo = "Allow Notifications"

But, FOR THREE YEARS, this has been the completely reliable behavior: Arlo only updates location WHEN THE APP IS BEING USED. PERIOD.

So:

If the last time Arlo updated location as being home, and I'm not actively using the app, my location stays recorded as "home" even after I leave, so the system doesn't arm.

If the last time Arlo updated location as being away, and I'm not actively using the app, my location stays recorded as "away" even after I arrive home, so the system doesn't disarm.

In either case, opening the app causes the system to arm or disarm immediately - a clear causal relationship indicating the location setting is locked to "While using the app" regardless of it showing "Always".

This incorrect behavior is consistent across four different iPhones now, and from iOS 12 through the current version.

This is simply ridiculous, Arlo.

Leizl
Aspirant
Aspirant
Same problem for mine and my wife’s iPhone. iOS 15.0.1 on iPhone 12 mini. Arlo version: 3.5.6 (2972)…
Reaaaaally annoying
LukeDee
Aspirant
Aspirant
Having the same issues since the update. When I’m geofencing mode it continually switches from home to away mode. Checked all the location settings and all are correct. Very frustrating.
Ching44
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same problem here ever since the iOS 15 update.  Prior to this update the geofencing had been working flawlessly for months.  All settings on my iphone are set as shown in article for troubleshooting that was referenced by Arlo Moderator Jessica P on 10-7-21.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

The Arlo development team is currently investigating this issue. We will provide an update as soon as we have more information to share with the community.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hello,

I just wanted to follow up to see if your settings for the Arlo mobile app & your iPhone are set to (Always) for use with Geofencing? You can verify this in your iPhones settings: Settings > Privacy > Location Services > Arlo > Allow Location Access (Always)

Thank you

Leizl
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi ShayneS,

Yes, Arlo app and iPhone settings are set to “Always” for use with Geofencing.

Best regards
kriven91
Tutor
Tutor
Same here !! With iPhone of my wife sometime fell in work after several tentative more a lucky moment than a real procedure . Get arlo support on phone and Comment is that geofencing is not working properly so the advice is : didn’t use it ! Seriously as I see so much complain on it could have been a global action against arlo on this finctionality that is broke since beginning .
DwarfNebula
Tutor
Tutor

Yes, something appears to have broken in IOS 15. 15.02 didn't fix it either. If I open the app and leave it running in the background, then it works. For what it's worth, I have another app that also use a similar "geofence" feature and that one has the exact same behavior. Something changed in IOS.

Leizl
Aspirant
Aspirant
Exactly the same for me. Geofencing stops working after updating to iOS 15.x, and 15.02 update didn’t fix it.
Same problem after iOS 15 updating with another app that also use geofencing.
DwarfNebula
Tutor
Tutor

Just fyi...When I upgraded to IOS 15.02 (from 15.01) I immediately tested the Geofence function. Right after the phone came back up, I took it out to the car and drove around and it worked! With the Arlo app off, it correctly set my system to "Armed" and back to Disarmed when I returned home. I thought maybe Apple had fixed the issue. However, an hour later I tried it again and it did NOT work. Seems like the upgrade (or perhaps turning the phone off and back on) made the feature work, but only for a short time. Now, it only works if I have the Arlo app started (running in the background). 

ghostrider94
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same issue here (iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 15.02 and Arlo 3.5.6). Not the first time this has surfaced. Geofencing seems to break with every major iOS upgrade (e.g., 13.x.x to 14.0.0, 14.x.x to 15.0.0). This is major inconvenience...

Tocan1234
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the new Iphone 13 and am running the IOS 15.0.1

The Geolocate only works if I open the app when leaving or getting home. It wont turn system on or off unless I open the app.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @Tocan1234

Can you install iOS 15.0.2. and test again.

Thank you

kriven91
Tutor
Tutor
Had iPhone 13 pro max and tried with last 15.0.2 my wife got 12 got also 15.0.2 . Mostly same issue if apps is closed on my wife side not working . And you neee often to restart
DwarfNebula
Tutor
Tutor

Some more observations on this bug.

IOS 15.02

Arlo App 3.5.6

Bluetooth enabled

Location set to Always

1. If you leave the Arlo up running in the background, the geofence feature always works. 

2. If you open the Arlo app right before your trip and then close it (swipe up to kill it), the geofence feature will work. It will properly arm the system and then disarm the system when you return. You must open the app within 15 minutes prior to leaving on your trip. If you wait longer, the feature will not work. If your trip is longer than 15 minutes, the app will NOT disarm the system on your return.

3. If you don't open the app prior to leaving (longer than 15 minutes) the feature will not work.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Thank you

DwarfNebula
Tutor
Tutor

Just fyi... IOS 15.1 does NOT seem to fix this issue...