Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 29 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 9 In Conversation
soreneck
Tutor
Tutor
Each time my arlo detects am event I will receive a push and video is recorded - no problems. However, for that single event, the badge count shown on the app is 1107. This number keeps increment over time. After viewing the video, the badge will disappear but on the next push it’ll be like 1120.

Background:
One relative added my arlo account to their arlo system so that I can receive notifications and view their videos while they are away. They have since removed me 7 weeks ago. I’m suspecting that their push count and my push count are still added behind the scenes.

Anyone had this issue? How can I rectify this?

Thanks.
29 REPLIES 29
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Uninstall the app and reinstall

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
soreneck
Tutor
Tutor
I just logged out from the app and uninstall it. Reinstalled and logged back in. Said yes to push permission and also yes to Touch ID.

I just went outside and triggered an event. Got the push. Push Badge on app showed 1285!

I’ve also noticed that when I said yes to use Touch ID, I’m automatically logged in afterwards even tho I have uninstalled the app. Shouldn’t I need to put in my credentials again?
steve_t
Master Master
Master

Remove all cameras from your account. Remove the base. Do a factory reset of the base ie hold a paper clip etc in the reset hole for 10-15 seconds until the base power LED changes from green to amber. Wait for the power LED and internet LEDs to go green. Open the app and sync all the cameras again, basically starting from scratch with hardware

soreneck
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks Steve. Already done that 3 times - which takes 30 mins each time to add the base station back, and resync the cameras, and to setup all custom rules and schedules - it's a pain in the bum steps but it still didn't work. The next notification that comes in results in 1000+ badge.

Also, I've went thru 3 diff base stations (hardware) as the original and replacement was faulty (RMA). Even tho the base station is brand new, the moment the newly setup cameras got an event, the badge will return 1000+.

I'm suspecting that this is backend, netgear needs to let Apple (APNS) know what to push and along with the push payload it contains the badge number. It's current at 1085, even tho I got only 1 new notification. Opening the app will remove the badge number but it'll come back on the next push.

steve_t
Master Master
Master

Yeah, that's weird

In the devices tab, you hit the badge number and it takes you to the library with the filter set for only that camera. When you go back to the devices list, does that show as zero? And then the next time there's a recording, it's back to 1200? Does the same thing happen through the web browser interface?

soreneck
Tutor
Tutor

The numbers on camera level is correct. It’ll just show 1 or 2 on that camera that triggered the event. It zeros out when you view them. All good in app.

The incorrect badge is the on app icon - the red circle on the top right of any of your app icons when there's a push, eg Mail, Messages, etc

steve_t
Master Master
Master

Ah right. Gotcha. Hopefully support can help you out on their end

MJLR
Guide
Guide
This has been an issue for me for over a year and my notification badge is already at over 40,000 whenever I get a new notification. From what I’ve read in another thread, this is a known bug and happens when someone adds you to see their cameras and then removes you. The only workaround to fix this is by creating a new account. I have quite a few family members that add me to their cameras each time they are out of town so it is not feasible for me to create a new account each time. I wish Arlo would just fix this bug but I wouldn’t hold my breath after waiting over a year. This is the reason I stopped buying additional Arlo cameras. I have since added Ring doorbell and cameras which have been great.
soreneck
Tutor
Tutor
Oh no - this is a huge disappointment. And that’s a lot of unread notifications!

I chat with Netgear support - the expert told me to restart the base station and he GUARANTEES that it will fix this problem.

Mine is still creeping up and up!

I’ll try to get in touch with them again, I’m sure we are not the only ones with this bug.
MJLR
Guide
Guide

My latest notification count is at 49,138! I can guarantee you restarting the base station will not resolve this issue. I have tried everything from restarting the entire system, deleting devices and readding, deleting app and reinstalling, deleting all my videos, etc. What i believe is happening is that once someone has granted you access to their devices and even if they delete you after, you are still receiving their notifications plus your own notifications even though you no longer have access to their devices. For some reason, deleting access is not deleting the notifications.

steve_t
Master Master
Master

MJLR, if you could contact support and open a ticket, that'd help this issue get resolved.... I hope

MJLR
Guide
Guide

Contacting support is only available for 90 days for Basic subscription without getting charged. Unfortunately, I've had my cameras for over 2 years. I tried click to chat but that function disappears after I try clicking on it and I tried to send an email but that also disappears after I log in. I believe I tried contacting them when i first experienced this issue but never got a response. Seems like they rely on community support. They sure don't make this easy. 

steve_t
Master Master
Master

Yeah, don't get us started on the disappearing chat button. All good

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Support is available forever, not just 90 days. For free.

MJLR
Guide
Guide

jguerdat, what type of subscription do you have? Support Center FAQs, articles, how-to-videos, community support and other resources are available; however if i want to contact them by calling, basic subscription support is only limited to 3 months. 

steve_t
Master Master
Master

It does say 3 months or 90 days or whatever on the subscription page but it also gives a storage capacity limit. To my knowledge, neither of those are enforced at this point in time nor have they been previously but I could be wrong here

MJLR
Guide
Guide

Thanks for the info Steve!

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Can't find it at the moment but there was a statement that there was a PAID support process that didn't apply to others, including Arlo. In any event, feel free to contact support even beyond the 1 year warranty period. I know for a fact it works.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

I've not been able to replicate this based on the discussion here. If possible, please provide a screenshot of the badge displaying the erroneous number of notifications and I will escalate this issue.

JamesC

soreneck
Tutor
Tutor

Please see attached screen shot James. It'll go from nothing to 1285 (this number keeps increasing over time) once I receive an event from one of my cameras. 

soreneck
Tutor
Tutor

From what I can tell the badge number shown is the total of "unread" videos from both accounts - mine and my family member (which granted access to my account). The "unread" count from my family member still increases and will be added to my account even after she removed my access.

So say I launch the arlo app and go to the Library tab. It will reset all count to zero. The badge icon will be zero as well. However on my the next event from my camera it will show 1285. I'm quite sure it's doing 1284+1 = 1285. The "1284" count comes from my family member's account and this keeps increasing, it was 100, then 300, then 500. then came to 1284 after a few days.

MJLR
Guide
Guide

James, please find attached screenshot of the badge notfications. I have also been experiecing the issue and these numbers have been incrementing since i was removed from previous devices that were shared with me.

soreneck
Tutor
Tutor

Hahaha 49739!!! You win! 🙂

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thank you for the screenshots. I will provide an update on this as soon as I have more information.

JamesC