Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 6 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
MMKacal
Tutor
Tutor

I would like to use Arlo cameras to monitor two different locations that are located in different states.  Would this require a separate account for each location and would I have to login to each account independently (e.g. home vs vacation home) or would I be able to have a master account where I could look at all cameras from both locations at the same time - 

Thank you so much for any information you can rovide.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
If it's 5 or fewer cameras, one account would be sufficient. You'd just see two separate systems since each would have it's own base station.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
manofice
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Two separate accounts I believe.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
If it's 5 or fewer cameras, one account would be sufficient. You'd just see two separate systems since each would have it's own base station.
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

As a PS, there is NO limit as to the number of bases on any level account... the only thing that matters is the number of cameras.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
hokeysmoke
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I currently have two base stations in different houses and have a single account.  It seems to work fine.

watchdog99
Luminary
Luminary
the trouble with using these at a vacation home is if a camera goes off line you have to be there in person to reset it.
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

watchdog99 wrote:
the trouble with using these at a vacation home is if a camera goes off line you have to be there in person to reset it.
Like many devices.... if you want to lower the actual problems from a remote lcation I recommend a UPS to stop the base from going off line
When the base stays powered, there is less chance of the cameras going off line... I have cameras that have been running for 2 years now and the only time they are down is during battery change outs.
Morse is faster than texting!
hokeysmoke
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Agreed.  I have a UPS on all base stations, plus routers, modems, and access points.  The APC BGE70, for example, is under $30 and does the job nicely.

MMKacal
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks - this is the answer I was looking for.  Appreciate your feedback.

MMKacal
Tutor
Tutor

Great - thanks for the information. Very helpful.

MMKacal
Tutor
Tutor

Since the cams themselves are battery powered I assume you mean losing power and wifi.  A UPS would help for that but not when the internet connection is lost independently of power - e.g. Comcast is notorious for being down from time to time.  If I understand, once the wifi connection is lost the cameras have to be manually reset - they don't continue to look for a wifi connection.  That would make sense as I imagine constantly searching for wifi would drain the batteries.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Internet access loss is another issue which isn't easy to work around.  The Pro base and Q cameras have the ability to record locally but there wouldn't be any notifications and you'd have to manually review any videos.  Some routers have the ability to use a secondary connection via 3/4G cell service but I have no experience with that setup.

Let's be clear about the use of "WiFi" here - the wireless cameras don't use your home WiFi but do have a dedicated connection between the cameras and base.  Thus, if the base never loses power, the cameras maintain connection.  The issue is when the base goes away sometimes you have to resync cameras.  That's not usual but happens often enough to be aware of.  The cameras do continue to look for the base, wearing down the batteries.  That's why you usually don't have to resync the cameras.

hokeysmoke
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

MMKacal wrote:

...Comcast is notorious for being down from time to time.  If I understand, once the wifi connection is lost the cameras have to be manually reset - they don't continue to look for a wifi connection.  That would make sense as I imagine constantly searching for wifi would drain the batteries.

I have Comcast, have lost internet countless times (including while installing a new router) and have never had to resync cameras unless the battery died during a normal rundown.  I think the base station keeps the cameras healthy without outside internet.  FYI, I have been using Arlo wire-free cameras since January 10, 2015.