Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo app crashes frequently

Discussion stats
  • 14 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
XJW
Apprentice
Apprentice

LG G6 running Oreo..
Arlo app crashes with a popup notification to close app or provide feedback.
I am using the GEOFENCING mode.
Crashes when I use camera or receive a phone call etc.
Started occuring a month or so back.
Anyone else seeing these issues ?

14 REPLIES 14
HotdogBattle
Star
Star

For over a month now the Arlo app keeps crashing on my SO's LG V30 and my LG V30. I even got a brand new phone and did a clean install and the issue persists. Because the app force closes constantly, geofencing is not working and neither does schedule. The cameras haven't recorded anything on their own in weeks. I send feedback reports every time it FC's.

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hi @XJW and @HotdogBattle,

Have you tried reinstalling the Arlo app and see if that helps?

HotdogBattle
Star
Star

Yes. I even got a brand new phone and did a fresh install of Arlo without restoring any data.

XJW
Apprentice
Apprentice

Anyone seeing this issue on other phones - other than LG ?

This defect only occurs with the Arlo app and only started recently..

@JessicsP it looks like Arlo have changed the title of the original post. Please change it back. How do you know this defect is limited to LG phones on Oreo ? Keep the title generic until it has been isolated please.

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Try to update to the latest Arlo app and see if that helps the issue: Arlo Android App - 2.7.0 - 8th January 2019

XJW
Apprentice
Apprentice
Ok thanks. Will let you know.
HotdogBattle
Star
Star
So far so good here. No crashing yet. My only issue is that now there is a persistent notification for geofencing which is very annoying. This is exacerbated by the fact Arlo doesn't use Androids notification channels, so I can't turn off the notification without killing ALL arlo notifications. The notification grouping also doesn't work well because of this, all my motion detection notifications are grouped with the persistent notification so I can't swipe them away easily.
XJW
Apprentice
Apprentice
No crashes so far.

The persistent notification is annoying but is perhaps a Google issue. Using the notification system to keep track of which apps are active is not intelligent. I now have 3 permanent notifications. It should be configurable.
XJW
Apprentice
Apprentice

It looks like this defect is now fixed.  No crashes.

HotdogBattle
Star
Star
So this update definitely fixed the crashes, but with it came double notifications for everything.
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hey @HotdogBottle,

What phone device are you using?

HotdogBattle
Star
Star
Hi
It's an LG-H932 on Android 8.0.0
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Try to clear your cache/data for your Arlo app from your Android phone setting and try to log back in to see if that helps.

HotdogBattle
Star
Star
That fixed it