Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Arlo Vmb4000 with 4 cameras The first two lights are solid green it just won't connect.

Discussion stats
  • 17 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Chichiki
Aspirant
Aspirant

I was recently given an Arlo Vmb4000 with 4 cameras. It was new in a sealed box. I set up an Arlo account and tried to set it up but with no success as the app can't find any devices. It will not connect to the mobile app.  The first two lights are solid green it just won't connect.  I have did a factory reset and completely uplugged and restarted the process several times.  Same result "No Arlo devices found". I have tried setting up an account with a different email address and using a laptop. There does not seem to be anyway to contact them about a setup. The product is older but never even been out the box. 😞

17 REPLIES 17
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Chichiki wrote:

I was recently given an Arlo Vmb4000 with 4 cameras. It was new in a sealed box.

Your phone needs to be connected to your home wifi, and if you use a VPN it has to be disconnected during the install.

You should also try my.arlo.com on a PC - that sometimes works then the app fails.

I'm tagging the mods - @ShayneS , @JamesC , @BrookeN - to call their attention to your issue.  Note you posted it in the wrong forum area, so they will probably also move your post.

Chichiki
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you for your reply, apologies that the post is in the wrong section. My phone was definitely connected to the WiFi, we don't have a VPN and although I did try the my.arlo.com on my laptop I did it through the WiFi. Do you think using a LAN connection would make a difference? 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Chichiki wrote:

Do you think using a LAN connection would make a difference? 

It might.

Although Arlo hasn't documented their discovery mechanism, it likely uses broadcast packets.  Some routers might not forward these packets to all wifi-connected devices.

Chichiki
Aspirant
Aspirant

That hasn't made any difference still says it can't find the device. I can see it connected it to my internet though through my router admin portal. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

When you reset the base, did you hold the button for >10 seconds, until the LEDs flashed amber?

Chichiki
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes, I have done that three times. In between trying different methods of connecting. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

One thing to try is to take the base to a friend's house and see if you can add the base to your account there. That's helped at various times. You can then just unplug the base, take it home, plug it back in and see if it then shows in your account, allowing you to add cameras.

Chichiki
Aspirant
Aspirant

Ok I have tried a neighbours WiFi (with permission) and the result was the same. I am puzzled as to why there is no Arlo support. I know I did not buy this product and it was gifted but it was my intention to get a subscription and now I am rethinking the whole Arlo brand 😕

Chichiki
Aspirant
Aspirant

Would the cameras work with another base? I wouldn't want to try and pass on the whole thing, but maybe the cameras would be useable??? Seems a waste to put the whole lot in tech recycling. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

What do you mean by tried a neighbor's WiFi? Did you plug the base into their router while your phone was connected to their WiFi?

The cameras will work with any other base or SmartHub assuming they don't have an issue themselves. If you buy a new one, be sure you have return privileges in case something else is the problem.

FWIW, I've had an issue with one older base that looked like it was working but couldn't be discovered. A different base solved the issue and the first one was recycled.

Chichiki
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes I plugged it in, that's what I meant when I said I had permission 🤣.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Chichiki wrote:

Would the cameras work with another base? 

They might, but it is hard to say.  Do you know what model cameras you have?  If the housings open, you can remove the camera from the housing, and take out the battery inside.  You'll find a label.

The info should also be on the box.

Chichiki
Aspirant
Aspirant

They are Arlo Pro cameras

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Chichiki wrote:

They are Arlo Pro cameras

Arlo stopped making the Pro (VMC4030) in 2018, and stopped making the Pro 2 (VMC4030P) in 2019.

While it is quite possible that you received a genuinely new kit (just old inventory), I think it is possible that you were given a refurbished kit (perhaps not realized by the giver).

Arlo does have a theft deterrence feature on at least some equipment  - not sure exactly what products, but it does include the Pro/VMB4000.  If these are currently in a stale Arlo account, they cannot be added to a new account. 

Arlo mods ( @JamesC , @BrookeN , @ShayneS ) might be able to help, but I think they would likely need some proof of purchase.

Chichiki
Aspirant
Aspirant

They are the vmc4030. I got them from a client and I work as a declutterer and people often purchase lots of things and don't keep track. I think they were probably bought them during a lockdown as they did a lot of buying then. I am positive it's all new as the box was all sealed. I suppose it doesn't really matter and I can recycle them it just seems a waste of what must have been a lot of money. 

1000024887.jpg

1000024886.jpg

 you can see where I had to cut the seals. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Chichiki wrote:

They are the vmc4030.

So the original Pro model (which would have been in the box for ~6 years now).

It is a bit surprising that the base can't be added.  The batteries in the cameras would be fully discharged, and it can be tricky to get them to charge again.

Chichiki
Aspirant
Aspirant

We did charge the cameras and tried to pair them as we hoped that might make it see something. They charged and seemed to pair fine in terms of the flashing lights. Obviously there was no way to verify that as the base wasn't paired and it's since been reset a few times.