Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Tommboy
Tutor
Tutor

I purchased an Arlo VMB4000 Base Station. I want to add more cameras to my existing set up. I would like to know which cameras are compatible with the VMB4000 Base Station with requiring a subscription after a 30 day trial.

9 REPLIES 9
Tommboy
Tutor
Tutor

I purchased an Arlo VMB4000 Base Station. I want to add more cameras to my existing set up. I would like to know which cameras are compatible with the VMB4000 Base Station “without” requiring a subscription after a 30 day trial.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Tommboy wrote:

I would like to know which cameras are compatible with the VMB4000 Base Station “without” requiring a subscription after a 30 day trial.

Only the legacy cameras - the original Arlo WireFree (VMC3030), the Pro (VMC4030), and the Pro-2 (VMB4030P).  These are going end-of-life soon (though the 7-day cloud storage will continue indefinitely).

All current models (starting with the Ultra in 2018) require a subscription for cloud storage.  And your base doesn't support accessing locally stored videos from either the app or the browser - all the videos you see now are stored in the Arlo Cloud.

Tommboy
Tutor
Tutor

This is exactly what I was looking for. One last question is the Arlo Pro 3 and Arlo Pro 4 not compatible with the VMB4000 base station?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Tommboy wrote:

One last question is the Arlo Pro 3 and Arlo Pro 4 not compatible with the VMB4000 base station?

They are both compatible.

Tommboy
Tutor
Tutor

Thats great that they are compatible. But can I continue to use them with the local 7 day storage without any new subscriptions costs as I am not interested in cloud storage.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Tommboy wrote:

But can I continue to use them with the local 7 day storage without any new subscriptions costs a

The 7-day storage is NOT local, it is cloud.  You can prove that by just removing the USB stick from your base.  You'll still see the existing recordings, and new ones will show up.

Pro 3 and Pro 4 cameras don't have free 7-day cloud storage.  That feature is connected to your legacy cameras, not the base station.

And if you want to access locally stored recordings, you'd need to upgrade your base to a VMB4540 or a VMB5000.  Those do have "direct access to local storage".  It's not a great experience - let me know if you want more information on the limitations.

Tommboy
Tutor
Tutor

Stephen, I do "thank you" very much for your support and updates provided on the compatible cameras for the VMB4000 base.

But I only want to know which cameras I can add to my current set up without upgrading the base or paying an additional storage fee. I only need to see the rolling 7 day local storage.

This is why I am now struggling with Arlo as their support plans do not provide an engineer or support rep to talk with live to clarify these questions.

I have already purchased the Arlo Ultra 2 and no where along the way is it noted that after a 30 day trial I have to sign up for an additional service.

Sorry-but the truth.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Tommboy wrote:

I have already purchased the Arlo Ultra 2 and no where along the way is it noted that after a 30 day trial I have to sign up for an additional service.

Sorry-but the truth.

Not sure where you looked, but it is actually on the packaging and the website.  However, IMO it isn't as prominent as it should be.

In any event, I don't work for Arlo, so this is not my doing.

@Tommboy wrote:

But I only want to know which cameras I can add to my current set up without upgrading the base or paying an additional storage fee. I only need to see the rolling 7 day local storage.

Which I've already answered in the third post on this thread.

To quote it again:

@StephenB wrote:

@Tommboy wrote:

I would like to know which cameras are compatible with the VMB4000 Base Station “without” requiring a subscription after a 30 day trial.

Only the legacy cameras - the original Arlo WireFree (VMC3030), the Pro (VMC4030), and the Pro-2 (VMB4030P).  These are going end-of-life soon (though the 7-day cloud storage will continue indefinitely).

All current models (starting with the Ultra in 2018) require a subscription for cloud storage.  And your base doesn't support accessing locally stored videos from either the app or the browser - all the videos you see now are stored in the Arlo Cloud.

In addition, the free storage is only available if you have 5 or fewer unsubscribed cameras in the account.  That's always been the case, so not a new limitation.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Only the older cameras, Pro 2 and older, can be added with no subscription and get the 7 day free plan. Of course, the camera count can be no more than 5 to get this.

Starting in 2018 with the Ultra camera a sub is needed for ANY new camera model. The trial sub is included to get you going. WHile it's not in large print, the product info page at https://www.arlo.com/en-us/cameras/ultra/arlo-ultra-2.html explicitly states that after the trial ends you need a sub. See screenshot below.

Screenshot 2023-03-02 9.34.08 AM.png