Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

616fun
Guide
Guide

I picked this up from Amazon and installed it Thursday. I pulled the camera down and charged it to 100% before plugging it in. Everything looked great, the camera showed at 100% and charging.  The next morning I had a red exclaimation point and "The charging source connected to the camera cannot charge your battery. Please use an Arlo Pro power adapter" showing in my interface. Upon contacting help, they asked me to remove the panel and allow the camera to discharge to 50% before plugging it in again. I let them know that this wasn't at all helpful as it will take a few months to get to that point, and I cannot return the item after this long. I specifically asked if there was firmware that addressed the variable wattage input a solar panel will provide and they said that they would look into it and be in contact.  I'm underwhelmed with the help.  I pulled my other camera and the same message is provided (that camera was charged to 74%).  

Has anyone else tried the Arlo solar panel and had luckl?

297 REPLIES 297
jtrock
Aspirant
Aspirant

bump

any solution yet?

steve_t
Master Master
Master

wrote:

bump

any solution yet?

Isn't the solution to make sure the connector is inserted all the way?

snathla
Aspirant
Aspirant

I just bought the solar charger and it won't work, can't believe with all the issues, they have not fixed the issues, initially the camera indicated a firmware update needed (done). Why does it not work Arlo team?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

While a hardware problem is always possible, the usual issue is user error by not plugging the connectors in completely. The connector on the panel can be especially difficult, likely due to the weatherproofing. The right angle connector at the camera needs a deft touch to plug in, too.

cyberone3
Star
Star

i don't know why we cant' take the responsiblity of when we want to charge the camera 

i have 3 solar charger and 4 camera that i paid alot of money for and its never - negitive number and always have problem with the it not charging when its cold but only on the solar chargers not the plugged in out door one 

please just remove the restrictions let me use the camera i bought as i want 

i'm about to cut my losses and go with a diffferent brand 

steve_t
Master Master
Master

@cyberone3 wrote:

i don't know why we cant' take the responsiblity of when we want to charge the camera 

i have 3 solar charger and 4 camera that i paid alot of money for and its never - negitive number and always have problem with the it not charging when its cold but only on the solar chargers not the plugged in out door one 

Would you not then complain if the battery was damaged or exploded due to attempting to charge in freezing conditions?

cyberone3
Star
Star

@steve_twrote:

@cyberone3wrote:

Would you not then complain if the battery was damaged or exploded due to attempting to charge in freezing conditions?

the issue is that if its plugged in and out in the cold its fine but when connected to the solar and out in the cold its not 

if the camera is warmed up then its fine with no change to the solar panels (no unplugging and replugging) right now it it 45 f here and there camera are saying its too cold but if i go out there warm them up it would start charging everytime they update the firmware this issues gets worse and worse. so its a 400 camera system that is shown in commericial to work on in the snow but has issue with cold weather. At the very least give us an option to override this issues 

fyi the battery would have to be a realy crappy one to exploid from being to cold normally. The battery charges when its like 70 out so your arguement in invalid and charging from being to cold shouldnt' be an issue since the battery being dead for and extended period would more harm then charging it when its cold and since my camera can't even figure out that its not -20 its not even the issue so an override would be nice 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

If the camera has a fully charged battery and is running off the Arlo charger, the camera is running off the 5v from the charger and isn't charging the battery (the battery is fully charged) so there's no issue.

banking
Aspirant
Aspirant

The solar panels will not charge in cold weather, the warmer the sun, the more charge you will get.  Here in California, we get lots of sun rays and less rain so these solar panels are a big help, I hate climbing up ladders all the time to constantly plug in or recharge batteries and then you will have to position the cameras again. what a pain. 

Try plugging in the solar panel in the camera while you are on the ground if it works you are good to go. We have 3 solar panels so far and may get more

Timmy256
Apprentice
Apprentice

After months of constantly troubleshooting and keeping a journal for every day, to see how that panel is working, it still keeps on throwing the "Chaging fault" message (which I think is the new way to inform us; instead of the previous red charging icon). I have not found any pattern, fix or whatever. On full sunny days, 40° celcius here, it charges for a couple of hours and after that it faults. Then, on rainy days, it may keep charging all day; even with only the sun that gets through the clouds.

I've experienced so many oddly behaviours, which are sadly a constant in all these Arlo cameras. Don't tell me it's a fault of that particular panel, because I've noticed the same hapenning with other panel/cameras combinations, just as all the users reporting here to work as random as possible. I've always had charging issues since day 1 one, and I mean with the original charger on indoor cameras. I'd get the red charging icon, the camera wouldn't charge the battery. I'd have to reinsert it from 1~50 times until it started working and charging (I'd get the dreaded blinking orange light all the time...). When the system works, it seems great and realible, but the problem is that this doesn't happen often. I even have an Arlo Pro 2 sitting uninstalled since November and I KNOW that when I install, I'd be faced with another set of awesome issues (like some reported here with IR not working or washing images and maybe other things too).

The last couple of days, the solar throw an error for two days in a row. The second day, the battery was at 48%. After a couple of hours, I've checked the app; no other videos were recorded and the battery was/is at 0%! - The lovely "It's time to charge your battery" message is kindly suggesting that it suddenly died. By the way, that's another recurrent issue that I've noticed in all my cameras plugged/unplugged in all different configurations (running from the battery only, plugged to AC, plugged to solar panel); the percentage indicator would randomly jump all over - downwards and upwards...

Another awesome thing. I've bought the Charging Station along with that Arlo Pro 2 camera, and last week I was charging two isolated cameras that had the battery at 0% and, even that expensive Charging Station, would charge the batteries! Some blinking orange lights started flashing and I had to reinsert the batteries several times, again, until it worked. Great! You have some serious issues in your power delivery system guys... no other electronic device I've ever owned had as many issues as your when it comes to power management (in fact, all of them you would plug them and just freaking charge; without any hassle)

Anyway... what are my options here? Just now, I've unplugged/replugged both ends of the cable, to see how it works tomorrow. @Dayzee, while I was at it, I've tried removing the rubber thing in the microUSB that goes to the camera, but as hard as I've tried pulling, it would slide off. Did you have to cut it off or something?

@JamesC, last time you created a ticket for me to replace the AC charger that I've mentioned above (which, by the way, when I went to unplug it for the last time, it was burnt!). Would it be possible for you to create a new ticket for this Solar Panel thing, so I can replace it if it still doesn't work? I'll be travelling to San Francisco next month, so I'd need to arrange to exchange it during that time; just like I did with the other charger.

Thanks.

PS: Here is a picture from the previous charger
NEJg0Hr

Timmy256
Apprentice
Apprentice

After reseating both ends of the plug last night, today it charged for a couple of hours and now the usual "Battery Fault" error appeared.

@JamesC, could you please help me creating a ticket to replace the Solar Panel in during my travel to the US in March?

Thanks.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Timmy256,

I've reached out to you in a private message with an updat

xterra72
Tutor
Tutor
I have 2 solar panels attached to 2 cameras that are mounted higher than my other cameras and are difficult to get too..

Both solar panels were working fine until we had a decent amount of rain a few weeks ago..

Now one of he solar panels is not charging. It’s down to 82 percent.. I’m hoping it’s just a matter of unplugging and then reinstalling the connection cables or possibly removing and then adding the camera again to the base station.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Rain shouldn't be a problem but...  If you're going to go to the trouble of disconnecting and reconnecting the various cable ends, take a can of compressed air with you to blow things out and attempt to dry things before reassembling.

xterra72
Tutor
Tutor
So I went ahead and switched out the battery with another battery that is fully charged at 100%.

I made sure that all the connections are tight.

I’m waiting now for the battery to drop below full charge..

When the sun comes out, we’ll see if the camera gets any charge from the solar panel.

Hard to believe we have to go through all this to try to get a solar panel working..
banking
Aspirant
Aspirant

First, make sure you fully charge your camera to 100%.

It is recommended that when you purchase the Arlo Solar Panel, make sure you test the Arlo Solan Panel connected to the camera while you are on the ground and when the SUN is present and warm enough first. If you see the lightning bold charge indicator, then the Arlo Solar Panel works fine.

Now, pay close attention this, because I learned this the hard way.  Although your camera may be charging while it is connected to the Arlo Solar Panel, the charge may not be strong enough. You have to make sure the Arlo Solar Panel connection to the camera is ALL the way in, I mean when you look at the rubber seal on the connection, it must be almost halfway in the back of the camera and snugged tight and then using your Arlo App on your Smartphone, make sure the charge indicator is a lightning bolt.

You may be asking, how do you know if the charge is really strong? Well, since you asked, I will tell you.

If the SUN is warm enough and your battery percentage increased or maintained a  battery percentage by the time the SUN rays were out of view (with the maximum is 100% of battery life). Your connection is good to go.

***DO NOT JUST JAM THE Arlo Solar Panel connection in the back of the Camera or you may bend the Arlo Solar Panel male connection and/or Arlo Camera female connection.***

For example, my camera before sunrise had a battery charge of 91%, I was using the live feed and it was on all day too, and by the time SUN rays were out of the cameras Arlo Solar Panel view, the charge was at 94%, it is working really good, the most important point I am getting across to you guys is, the  battery charge percentage did not drop below 91%, if it had dropped below 91% then I may have to do the following:

- make sure the male part of the connection at the bottom of Arlo Solar Panel is snapped in tight

- make sure the male part of the connection from the Arlo Solar Panel to the camera is pushed in all the way, with the rubber seal should be almost halfway in the back of the camera. 

- you may have to remove the charging block from the inside of the camera and make sure there is no debris or dust of any kind on the inside of the camera or charging block.

We own 4 Arlo Solar Panels and they all work fine, no more climbing up ladders, well at least once or twice a year, depending on the rain.

GWA
Guide
Guide

This has been going on for more than 5 months now.  I have found out that I have two batteries that will not charge in the charger or by direct connections.  I still have 4 out of 5 solar panels that will not charge the camera.  It will drain them over night.  I have done everything.  Can someone tell me how i can get support?

I have read others about the same issue.  Why can't Netgear correct the problem.  I would like to get 4 panels replaced and two batteries.  How can I do this?

steve_t
Master Master
Master

Go to the bottom of the page and click the green button that says "Contact Support"

xterra72
Tutor
Tutor
I had my solar pane replaced.
It’s working for now.

I will have to wait when it rains. That was when my old solar panel became defective.

I’m not so sure about the waterproofing on the unit. I made sure that the cables were on right, tight and solid but still it went bad after the rain.

I’ll be keeping an eye out for this new one and see if it holds up

kirchn
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same issue here. With the solar panel plugged in, the battery lasts about a week, but without it much longer. I have replaced both the camera and the solar panel, and Arlo support has been disappointing.

Mitsouko
Aspirant
Aspirant
I purchased 3 solar panels and have only had one working. The other 2 constantly say batteries low or after I charge the batteries,, I get the use a compatible Arlo charger. For the price of those cameras and solar panels they really should be more reliable.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Many issues are due to incomplete cable connections. They can be a real pain to fully plug in.

xterra72
Tutor
Tutor
In my case , I made sure the cable was in right. And snug.

Made sure solar panel was well handled during installation.

Solar panel are not very reliable for the price.
banking
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have been charging the same batteries in my Arlo 1st Generation cameras that use 4 Lithium ION batteries for over 1 year. You may have to buy 4 more batteries, make sure the rechargeable batteries are approved for Arlo Cameras, read the package closely. Now for your Arlo Solar Panels and camera read below.

First, make sure you fully charge your camera to 100%.

It is recommended that when you purchase the Arlo Solar Panel, make sure you test the Arlo Solar Panel connected to the camera while you are on the ground and when the SUN is present and warm enough first. If you see the lightning bold charge indicator, then the Arlo Solar Panel works fine.

Now, pay close attention this, because I learned this the hard way. Although your camera may be charging while it is connected to the Arlo Solar Panel, the charge may not be strong enough. You have to make sure the Arlo Solar Panel connection to the camera is ALL the way in, I mean when you look at the rubber seal on the connection, it must be almost halfway in the back of the camera and snugged tight and then using your Arlo App on your Smartphone, make sure the charge indicator is a lightning bolt.

You may be asking, how do you know if the charge is really strong? Well, since you asked, I will tell you.

If the SUN is warm enough and your battery percentage increased or maintained a battery percentage by the time the SUN rays were out of view (with the maximum is 100% of battery life). Your connection is good to go.

***DO NOT JUST JAM THE Arlo Solar Panel connection in the back of the Camera or you may bend the Arlo Solar Panel male connection and/or Arlo Camera female connection.***

For example, my camera before sunrise had a battery charge of 91%, I was using the live feed and it was on all day too, and by the time SUN rays were out of the cameras Arlo Solar Panel view, the charge was at 94%, it is working really good, the most important point I am getting across to you guys is, the battery charge percentage did not drop below 91%, if it had dropped below 91% then I may have to do the following:

- make sure the male part of the connection at the bottom of Arlo Solar Panel is snapped in tight

- make sure the male part of the connection from the Arlo Solar Panel to the camera is pushed in all the way, with the rubber seal should be almost halfway in the back of the camera.

- you may have to remove the charging block from the inside of the camera and make sure there is no debris or dust of any kind on the inside of the camera or charging block.

We own 4 Arlo Solar Panels and they all work fine, no more climbing up ladders, well at least once or twice a year, depending on the rain.

xterra72
Tutor
Tutor
I guess the poster before me got lucky.

Not my experience. I did all that and no go.

Hope I just got a lemon and it’s not an actual problem.