Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

616fun
Guide
Guide

I picked this up from Amazon and installed it Thursday. I pulled the camera down and charged it to 100% before plugging it in. Everything looked great, the camera showed at 100% and charging.  The next morning I had a red exclaimation point and "The charging source connected to the camera cannot charge your battery. Please use an Arlo Pro power adapter" showing in my interface. Upon contacting help, they asked me to remove the panel and allow the camera to discharge to 50% before plugging it in again. I let them know that this wasn't at all helpful as it will take a few months to get to that point, and I cannot return the item after this long. I specifically asked if there was firmware that addressed the variable wattage input a solar panel will provide and they said that they would look into it and be in contact.  I'm underwhelmed with the help.  I pulled my other camera and the same message is provided (that camera was charged to 74%).  

Has anyone else tried the Arlo solar panel and had luckl?

297 REPLIES 297
banking
Aspirant
Aspirant

DO NOT remove the rubber grommet from the charging cable, that is to protect the  connection from water and debris from getting in the back of your camera, that is your protection seal. Put it back on, if you have problems connecting the Arlo Solar Camera to the back of the Arlo Camera then order smaller locking nuts from Netgear.

94SupraTT
Aspirant
Aspirant

So I swapped out the camera on the solar panel for a different one and it seems to work. Arlo has responded to my trouble ticket with the following.

-------------------------

Hi,

Good day!

This is Vince From NETGEAR ARLO TECHNICAL SUPPORT TEAM and I will be the one assisting you today in regards to your concern. Can you please do me a favor and follow the steps provided below.

1. try to swap solar panels between the non working and working camera

If problem still occurs can you please provide us the following information.

1. serial number solar panel
2. place of purchased
3. date of purchased
4. complete shipping address
5. preferred callback number
6. preferred callback time

Please be informed that your Arlo devices comes with one-year hardware warranty from the date of purchase and the support entitlement is tied up to your service plan.

----------------- 

Dayzee
Star
Star

Using silastic does the job, the lock nut is not the problem

jasonx101
Apprentice
Apprentice

I wasn't even using a mount with a lock nut, I used the magnetic knob thingy mount.

Arlo should be telling us if the device is charging or not when this error happens, or if it is just a warning message,

Also why can't they add some sort of remote reset to these devices so we don't have to go on roofs or up ladders to take out the lead and reset them.

Also where is their product testing if they can't design a mount and connection that doesn't get in the way of the charging lead?

steve_t
Master Master
Master
GearNetRouter
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

These are already out in stores. Have seen them. If the base is plastic instead of metal its no good IMO. Also, not theft proof either as easy to twist off at the base. I looked at the pics very carefully on the box and the ball part is not 1/2 so IMO the sweivel range is limited. Frankly I dont see what they do that the others dont except they are cheaper. Doesnt really change the lock nut issue which IMO is not the cause of the solar panel failures. 

GearNetRouter
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

These are already out in stores. Have seen them. If the base is plastic instead of metal its no good IMO. Also, not theft proof either as easy to twist off at the base. I looked at the pics very carefully on the box and the ball part is not 1/2 so IMO the sweivel range is limited. Frankly I dont see what they do that the others dont except they are cheaper. Doesnt really change the lock nut issue which IMO is not the cause of the solar panel failures. 

AKsecurity
Aspirant
Aspirant
I purchased several Arlo solar panels to use on my Arlo go and Arlo pro cameras.
When I connect the solar panel up to the Arlo pro my battery indicator shows that it is charging.
When I hook the same solar panels up to my Arlo go no charging indicator Is showing, eventually batteries runs dead.
1) I tried pulling the batteries out and resetting them on arlo GO cameras
2) confirm that firmware on the cameras were updated
3) swapped cables around to make sure one of the many cables was not defective
4) tried using on multiple different Arlo go cameras with no success
5) disconnected and reconnected when Batteries showed 50% - still not working
6) tried on bright sunny days and cloudy days
7) confirm that the plug was inserted completely on all of the cameras

Conclusion: the Arlo go camera on all of the solar panels I purchased from Arlo do not work together. The panels however do work with the Arlo pro which seems strange as they utilize the same charging station when the batteries on both need charged
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I've very successfully used the solar panels wit a Go camera. The usual issue is properly connecting the plugs into their respective ports. I find the 90 degree connector to be a PITA that I have to putz with to get it seated properly/fully.

The other possibility is a bad port on the Go camera. In that case, openinga case with support is needed.

bdski
Initiate
Initiate
I am embarrassed to admit why I had the same problem. I called and spoke to tech support and they didn't ask the key question to my solar panel woes. I had the same problem with the "charging source" error. I removed it from where I mounted, got the box and packing that I saved, looked down....DANG! I LEFT THE ALMOST INVISIBLE THIN PROTECTIVE PLASTIC FILM ON THE PANEL! Removed it, re-mounted and all is good now for 3 weeks. Set up another system a couple of days ago, removed the protective film 🙂 ,and that solar panel is working great as well.
phankhi
Aspirant
Aspirant
hi.
having same issues with using solar panel to charge arlo pro cameras.
I have 2 solar panels and 1 works fine and the other always comes up with the red exclamation.
Yes i have tried pulling battery out. tested on cameras that worked with the other working panels..even resync cameras. all of this took me half a day.
with the working solar panel, whether the battery was 36% or 100% the camra app showed the lightning bolt as if it was charging and when theres no sun the lightning bolt dissappeared.
Now with the non working panel at 100% it shows the lightning bolt (no red exclamation) BUT when the camera dips below 100% the red exclamation is displayed.
so i used another camera that was 100% battery and the non working panel started working fine.
Hopefully this may help the engineering team to sort this mess out.
DM2
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same issue here. Red exclamation mark after a day of proper working. Using the outdoor mount and the cable is properly fitted.

phankhi
Aspirant
Aspirant

Its so painful dealing with Netgear customer service, its like sending pigeons and waiting for a reply.

After dubious solutions (wish they read comments from this forum), they have acknowledged that their is a hardware issue.

They asked me for serial number, place/date of purchase, andI have replied. After days I am still waiting to see what they want me to do.

Reply from NETGEAR:

This seems to be a hardware issue. May I request for the following information:

1. Date and Place of Purchase:
2. Phone Number:
3. Serial Number of the Solar Panel in question:
4. Shipping Address:

Your response will be highly appreciated.

Dayzee
Star
Star

I had the same problems with my solar panel and found the solution 

i removed the rubber grommet from the end of the camera plug which allowed a good connection with the solar panel, I did this three weeks ago and have had no problems since.

i then put silicone around the connection to make it waterproof.

The original fitting does not allow a good connection between the charging cord and the camera, no doubt Arlo will modify it in future but this fix works for me

GearNetRouter
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

1. Sometimes tech support will just say its a hardware issue to get you off the phone and get rid of your case. Let us know what happens with the replacement. 

2. You should not have to modify the product by removing the rubber cover and using silicone.

Dayzee
Star
Star
It is obviously a design fault or it would not need to be removed the fact that it works afterwards verifies it
GearNetRouter
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Its really hard to remove silicone caulk without scarping and/or chemicals. If you cam fails good luck getting it replaced as NG will look at it and say you modified it. It's best to let them resolve the problem not yourself IMO.

Dayzee
Star
Star

As I live in Australia sending it back was not really an option and my solution worked so I am happy, each to his own ...

phankhi
Aspirant
Aspirant
Dayzee thanks for advice and I did what you suggested and now working fine the last few days. my issue was at the Solar panel end. I had to scrap of prob 1mm of plastic and bam no more dreaded red exclamation mark.
Waiting for solution or response from Netgear was too painful and I am in the same boat as you as I live in Aus and wasnt feasible to post back to the USA for a replacement.
Dayzee
Star
Star

I’m glad to hear it worked, they obviously have to modify the connections but mine have now been working for over a month so I think that is definitely the problem.

Pwnjuice
Aspirant
Aspirant

Dayzee I been on the chat several times with support with no sucess I bought the 6 camera pack with 4 solar chargers and all 4 where having that issue. I tested the panels and they where outputting voltage. Charge phones and everything.

With 3 weeks of bad support I was sure it was a firmware issue and about to get on my ladder and take all 4 down but then I decided to try something.

I charged 2 batterys to 100% then went out to the cameras and swaped the cables and this put the new fresh batterys in. they worked for 2 weeks no issues. I then decided to do it to 1 with out swaping the cable just a 100% charged battery and it fail I got the !

I went to that same camera and put in a new 100% charged fresh battery but this time I disconnected the cable and reconnected it and I did it with FORCE to the point I thought I was about to break it. Both at the solar panel and the camera. watching it for two weeks it was working.

My last camera that was not charging I decided to go out with its battery at 70% reset the cable and force it in.

It has not been 3 months with zero issues on all 4 cameras. Over all I think the clip that connect to eather the panel or the camera is not allowing a pin or something not connect and but use more pressure then nomal made that connection.

Give that a try and let me know.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Sounds like you figured out the best connections.  Yes, the connectors on each end of the solar panel cable are hard to ensure proper connection.  I find the camera end specifically hard to install since the mount gets in the way. I'd prefer a different location for the power connector. They can be a real PITA to align and ensure all contacts are properly set on the camera but you still need to make sure the panel end is solid, too.

mgwood777
Aspirant
Aspirant

Just installed the Arlo Solar Panel with my Arlo Pro and having the same issue.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

And what have you tried to correct it?

MS21
Initiate
Initiate
I can confirm the poor connections. Installed solar panel last week. Sure enough 2 days the error msg appeared. Error only displayed during the daytime which to me indicates the panel works, it's sending a signal when there is adequate light but the power is not properly transferring itself to the camera.

Found this discussion. This morning I pushed the connections in tighter and like magic, charging is active.

Clearly netgear needs to go back to the drawing board on the cables, and ship new hardware out to current users.

Let's see how long the charging lasts before I try to strip off some of the rubber for a cleaner insertion.