Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

616fun
Guide
Guide

I picked this up from Amazon and installed it Thursday. I pulled the camera down and charged it to 100% before plugging it in. Everything looked great, the camera showed at 100% and charging.  The next morning I had a red exclaimation point and "The charging source connected to the camera cannot charge your battery. Please use an Arlo Pro power adapter" showing in my interface. Upon contacting help, they asked me to remove the panel and allow the camera to discharge to 50% before plugging it in again. I let them know that this wasn't at all helpful as it will take a few months to get to that point, and I cannot return the item after this long. I specifically asked if there was firmware that addressed the variable wattage input a solar panel will provide and they said that they would look into it and be in contact.  I'm underwhelmed with the help.  I pulled my other camera and the same message is provided (that camera was charged to 74%).  

Has anyone else tried the Arlo solar panel and had luckl?

297 REPLIES 297
steve_t
Master Master
Master

I get the same error message when I try to charge my Pro camera with a non-Arlo Pro charger eg my phone charger. I think it might be to do with the current??

616fun
Guide
Guide

steve_t wrote:

I get the same error message when I try to charge my Pro camera with a non-Arlo Pro charger eg my phone charger. I think it might be to do with the current??

I agree - that's why I wonder if it's something that can be addressed via firmware.  Today it was in direct sunlight, no obstruction, full sune. It still didn't work.  

skingspan
Luminary
Luminary

Sorry to hear you are having issues.  I have had my panel installed for a couple weeks with no issues.  It is keeping my camera at 100%.  If you havent already I would try unplugging, removing the battery, putttin the battery back in and plugging back in.  I seem to remember the solar plug being difficult to plug in .  Maybe it isn't seated all the way?

--------------------------------------------
https://wickedsmarthome.blogspot.com/
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Is it still happening?  I've had that pop up once in a while and then it went away.  No idea why.

616fun
Guide
Guide

jguerdat wrote:

Is it still happening?  I've had that pop up once in a while and then it went away.  No idea why.

Still happening.  As someone asked, I pulled the unit and removed/replaced the battery. I also attempted to use it on my other camera without success.  Still no word from Customer Service. I'm questioning if the cable and/or panel is bad.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You can also swap at the store.

steve_t
Master Master
Master

I wonder if your panel is failing to provide the correct voltage/current. Might be worth seeing if you can exchange it

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

If you're experiencing an issue with the Arlo Solar Panel, be sure to take a look at this article for troubleshooting steps to ensure the panel is positioned and set up correctly: How does the Arlo Solar Panel work?

JamesC

gerardmarc
Tutor
Tutor

I have having the same issue.  I chatted with support, they had me disconnect the camera and re-start it and also test another camera with the panel.  The system started charging for about 1 hour.  Then the next day it stop working.  Support told me that they have heard of no problems with the panels.  Does anyone have a fix?

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

gerardmarc,

What is indicating that it stopped working? Did the battery reach a full charge?

JamesC

gerardmarc
Tutor
Tutor

It says the the charging source connected to the camera cannot charge battery.  Please use an Arlo power adatper.  If I disconnect the panel from the camera and charge the camera, the solar panel works for about 5 hours and then I get the message again. When the panel is working for those 5 hourse it stays at 100%.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

gerardmarc,

Please contact the Arlo Support Team to further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link.

JamesC

bjharrington
Guide
Guide

There seems to be a lot of complaints about the Solar Charger giving the same response. Too many in fact.

I installed 2 solar panels and one is giving me the error while the other is not.

Not to be cruel, but calling support is a nightmare since it is in India. 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

bjharrington,

I've escalated this topic to engineering for review. I will post an update when I have more information.

JamesC

bjharrington
Guide
Guide

Thanks James. 

Both of mine are now reading, "The charging source connected to the camera cannot charge your battery. Please use an Arlo power adapter."

I have these placed at a vacation home, so it is not easy to just unplug/drain/replug in.

gerardmarc
Tutor
Tutor

I have called, emailed and chatted with support about this issue a number of times.  There solution each time was to unplug the camera, take out the battery and then replug in everything.  Usally, this works for about 6 hours and then the error message comes back.

Cpipp
Aspirant
Aspirant
I am having the same issue with the solar panel and have tried everything others have listed here with no success. Has anyone resolved their issue?
sbos
Tutor
Tutor

Same issue. Solar panel worked great for about two weeks, now I'm getting this error. A "fix" of removing the battery and unplugging the solar panel every several hours or days is not a "fix". For the price of the camera and the panel, this is unacceptable.

ice_man
Star
Star

Damn. I just got mine installed 2 days ago and it worked perfectly. Just now, it is showing this error "The charging source connected to the camera cannot charge your battery. Please use an Arlo power adapter".

After all the hard work of mounting it on the roof of my house, then it had this problem. This is somewhat disappointing. Considering that this small solar panel costs $79.00 before taxes. Ring's solar panel seems bigger and yet it only cost them $49.00 too. 

Netgear, please fix this issue. Seems to me that a lot of folks here have the same issue going on.

Will return this unit to bestbuy and get a refund. Will also probably cancelling my 2 other orders with Amazon. I think I would be better off just getting extra batteries and charging dock. Which btw should have come with bundled units. I got a 6 kit camera bundle and no charging dock. Shame on you Netgear!

616fun
Guide
Guide

My solar panel is problematic.  It is still showing the message and my query was closed by the Arlo help desk, though they said they would escalate it to engineering and be back in contact with me.  

bjharrington
Guide
Guide

HI James.

This seems like a massive issue.

Did you hear anything from Engineering?

Thanks in advance.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

bjharrington,

This topic is currently being investigated by the engineering team. If you are experiencing issues with your solar panel, I encourage you to contact the Arlo Support Team and open a case regarding the issue.

JamesC

ice_man
Star
Star

I also noticed that not only does it not charge the battery, it is also draining it. all my cameras are on battery power except the one with the solar are still on 98% after a few days.

The one attached to the solar is now at 89%. Lol. I really don't know what to say. This will really be going back to the store.

Anyone with the solar and does not encounter these problems?

migman_2001
Luminary
Luminary
My two panels were installed on Saturday 8/5/17 late in the afternoon. One charged for about an hour before the sun went down (due to the sun out if the area for one canera). Both have been working perfect since.
One camera I started fully charged, (it was due for charging) the other was at 61%. By Monday, the 61% camera was showing 100%. Both have maintained 100% each day. Both cameras average about 10-12 30 second recordings each day.

I did use the SimplySolar app to position them. I was really surprised at the tilt angle, which I currently have at 21 degrees based on my location in northern California. At 21 degrees tilt, it is close to being flat.
I would reall recommend using the app to position panel. Do not just eyeball it.