Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
bjharrington
Guide
Guide

Is there a way to get on the waitlist for the arlo solar panel?

40 REPLIES 40
skingspan
Luminary
Luminary

Nice to see that it is finally listed on the site.  $70 seems pretty steep considering the ring solar panel is $50.  I will probably still pick one up though as I have a camera that gets a lot of acivity and needs to be charged every 2 months.  Let's hope it is available for purchase soon.

--------------------------------------------
https://wickedsmarthome.blogspot.com/
ElonMusk
Aspirant
Aspirant

ArloSite.JPG

VMA4600_lifestyle_1.jpg

VMA4600_3-4Rt2_Transparent.png

VMA4600_onWall_Hero_Transparent.png

VMA4600_onWall_Side_Transparent.png

VMA4600_Back_Transparent.png

lamjam
Aspirant
Aspirant

lets hope for a speedy release. The outdoor cable has been coming soon for a few months now, hope the charger doesnt follow

Kris-CRD
Aspirant
Aspirant

James,

Mid-May has now past. Is there any update to when a solar panel will be available. If it will not be soon, where can we find the exact electrical specs to be able to buy/create/use an alternate solar panel. We are using our camera on the cell phone network and the batterlife is extremely short and changing the battery everyweek is not practical.

unco
Star
Star

Saw this response on their Twitter account.

https://twitter.com/ArloSmartHome/status/869252611412643840

We are looking at a late Q3 (July) for the Solar Panel and Outdoor adapter. Thank you for your patience! 

LumiereTech
Aspirant
Aspirant

We have a PV Solar Energy Pole with intgrated Li-ion battery for Smartphone charging/topup (Schools, Restaurants, Tertiary ground, off-grid app) LED lighting etc. etc Would like to add the Arlo range to be powered. Does anybody have the power + consumpton specs for all the models? The Arlo GO, would be prioriy. Much appreciated.

Kris-CRD
Aspirant
Aspirant

The electrical specs from the AC charger that came with the Arlo Go that I just bought says the following:

NETGEAR

AC Adapter

P/N: 332-10966-01

Input: 100-240 AC 50-60Hz  0.5A

Output: 5V DC 2A or 9V DC 2.23A

Model: AD2090320

Type: 007-1LF BAH

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Someone would have to do a real world test. It obviously depends on how much recording and live viewing as well as the WiFi connection. You only need the 5v to run the camera with a power supply rated at q.5-ish amps. It's not going to need much to just sit there sleeping so monitoring battery usage against total minutes of recording would be needed. Then add the panel to the battery to judge how fast it can recharge the battery. Of course, you'll need a battery that can be charged while in use - not all do.
irishnd2001
Guide
Guide

Careful with the Arlo solar panels. I installed two brand-new ones 6 days ago.  Today, one of the two went bust and it's giving me an error message saying "The charging source connected to the camera cannot charge your battery.  Please use an Arlo power adapter."  I'm currently jumping through hoops with Arlo support to get a replacement.

Drake3287
Luminary
Luminary

Can't you just return it to where you bought it? Don't waste your time with Arlo, just take or send it back to where you bought it.

irishnd2001
Guide
Guide

Thank you for the advice.  I think that's what I'll do.  I was assuming that I wouldn't be able to return it to Best Buy because I no longer have the box, but I checked and apparently Best Buy accepts returns without the box.  I may give that a try this week.

Drake3287
Luminary
Luminary

Your first lesson should have been never throw away a box until your sure it's won't be returned. Nice that BB will still take it though.

Timmy256
Apprentice
Apprentice

Just a curios question... how is the official Arlo Solar Panel, rated at 6v output is able to charge the 7v battery of the cameras and the Ring Solar Panel (also at 6v output) was reported several times that it wouldn't work because of the higher voltage required to charge.

Could anybody shed some light into this?

Thanks

KravMalda
Guide
Guide
Mine as well. The same exact thing happened to me. I bought 2 and 1 gave me an error. I left it though and it stopped giving me an error message. But would no longer charge the unit.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

If you're experiencing an issue with the Arlo Solar Panel, be sure to take a look at this article for troubleshooting steps to ensure the panel is positioned and set up correctly: How does the Arlo Solar Panel work?

JamesC

KravMalda
Guide
Guide
So after further review of the Sun Panels. I installed 2 of them. 1 gave me a error reading after the first 3 days of install. I recieved a generic message reply after explaining my dissappointment (Lame). And then shortly after the actual sun panel started to drain the battery. I left the panel up just to see how far it would drain the battery. It got down to 23% then the error message went away and it kicked into high gear and started recharging the battery. After several days the battery was completely recharged. FYI. I did nothing. I will continue to monitor this issue and report back occasionally. Good luck to all Arlo Sun Panel owners..