Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
bjharrington
Guide
Guide

Is there a way to get on the waitlist for the arlo solar panel?

40 REPLIES 40
Drake3287
Luminary
Luminary

We all wish! If in fact they become available in March (don't hold your breath) it woul be nice of Netgear to offer them to current owners before they distribute them to retailers. People like us are the one's making these camera's popular, a little customer support would go a long ways.

skingspan
Luminary
Luminary

I too am looking forward to the solar panel.  One of may cameras is in a high traffic area and I am down to 5% after 3 months.  Would be great to hook up to the solar panel an not have to worry about charging.  We will just have to wait I guess.

The is a video on youtube from the CES show where they showed one off.  No info on when we can buy one though.

--------------------------------------------
https://wickedsmarthome.blogspot.com/
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I too am interested in the Solar Panel as I have two cameras in my back yard that are quite high for security reasons and getting a ladder out to get the cameras down to charge is going to be a pain. I hope they come out with the panels soon.

fuzzypixel
Guide
Guide

Wonder if anyone tried Rings solar panel with Arlo, it claims to have micro usb cable abd 2w of power

irishnd2001
Guide
Guide

I tried it, and it didn't work with the Arlo Pro.  It plugged in just fine, but the Arlo Pro didn't get any charge from it, even under direct sunlight.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Don't forget that the camera requires 9v to charge.
KravMalda
Guide
Guide
I agree on offering the panels to previos customers first andvsoon. My front entrance is on a higher resolution (for obvious reasons) i only get 5 to 6 weeks out of a charge. Not Good.
MunteanuBogdan
Guide
Guide

+1 for Solar Panel

KravMalda
Guide
Guide
I would like to be put on a waiting list for sun panels 3 to be exact
bjharrington
Guide
Guide

It doesnt look like anyone from Arlo actually reads these requests. That is unfortunate.

Drake3287
Luminary
Luminary

Acually, "James" the Community Support person from Netgear is on this site but has offered us little or no information on this solar panel. In January he said it would be available in March which of course never happened. Just last week he was on this site telling us he had requested an update on the solar panel arrival but apparently that never happened either. 

Seeing that these solar panels are being made (assuming they are being made) in Asia, add in shipping time to that and I bet we're looking well into summer. 

It's just to bad that Netgear thinks so little of it's customers that it won't even give an honest update of it's products. I gurantee you that someone at Netgear knows the exact status of these things. 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

I apologize for the lack of communication on this topic.

Update: Target availability for Arlo Solar Panel is mid-May.

JamesC

bjharrington
Guide
Guide

Thanks James.

I'll be watching out for it.

Brian

lamjam
Aspirant
Aspirant

waiting for this mid may relase !

sandychak
Initiate
Initiate
The Solar Panel is a must have for the Arlo Pro and should have been released together with the product from a Product Management perspective. With the Solar Panel the possibilities would be endless, one should truly achieve set it and forget it capability. That's killer for Marketing campaigns Netgear - Wire free and Worry free!!! Waiting with baited breath for the release.
SilverSentinel
Star
Star
Mid May huh? Some reason it isn't showing up on your website? I am guessing mid May 2018?
irishnd2001
Guide
Guide

Will it *actually* be available in mid-May, or will it be like the charging station, which has supposedly been available for months but in reality is backordered everywhere?

KravMalda
Guide
Guide
Did you know Arlo now has a 4G camera? Looks like they are advancing their technology in other avenues but are not working on customer requests to inprove on existing issues. Not good Netgear. This thread just might make it to an open forum.
BenV
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi James,

Do you perhaps have an update for us on the release date of the Solar Panel?

Thanks

Ben

CWHNVABCH
Aspirant
Aspirant
I bought my Arlo Pro system in OCtober last year, after a lot of back and forth trying to decide between it and buying Ring Cameras.  I looked at a lot of cameras but most required a wire in one form or another either by direct connection or by charging.  I narrowed down to Arlo and Ring based on the promise of being Wire Free because of the solar panel charging options.  The deciding factor at the time was that I liked the look of the Arlo Pro better.  Now 7 months later the Ring cameras have a solar panel option and Arlo owners are still waiting.  We keep getting new release time frames after the previous one passes.

I convinced several friends that the Arlo Pro was the way to go, now all of us have a ton of money in a ssytem that we have to continually monitor battery levels for.  Netgear needs to either give a definitive date or just admit that it was a pipe dream to confront Rings promise and it isnt going to happen so we can sell our systems while they are still relatively new and get most of our money back.

BenV wrote:

Hi James,

Do you perhaps have an update for us on the release date of the Solar Panel?

Thanks

Ben

Timmy256
Apprentice
Apprentice

Yeah, I bet they are not going to say any of that and the next thing we'll hear will be

"The Arlo Solar Charger has a target delivery date of Mid-2017"

Keep in mind that even the simpler Outdoor Charger has been "coming soon" from months.

Drake3287
Luminary
Luminary
The only thing Arlo will listen to are negative reviews on both Best Buy and Amazon. Those are the two big customers Arlo has to keep happy. Not us individual buyers.
sandychak
Initiate
Initiate

@JamesC Like previous committed dates from Netgear, mid-May has come and gone. Can we have a black and white answer here, is the Solar Panel really in the works or is this story a ploy the keep holding buyers from returning their products within return policy timelines

JamesC wrote:

I apologize for the lack of communication on this topic.

Update: Target availability for Arlo Solar Panel is mid-May.

JamesC

?

ElonMusk
Aspirant
Aspirant

Looks like the solar panel is finally listed in the Arlo products section as coming soon (Model VMA4600): https://www.arlo.com/en-us/products/arlo-pro/solar-panel.aspx#VMA4600