Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Security Mount - Definitive Answer

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
mrdo
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi there,

I've searched the forum multiple times but can't seem to find an up-to-date definitive answer.

I'm looking for an effective solution to prevent my Arlo Pro camera from being stolen. This should be a simple enough request and I'm not bothered whether it's supplied by Netgear or a Third Party.

The existing Netgear Arlo Security Mount allows a would-be thief to simply unscrew the camera from the mount which doesn't make it fit for purpose as far as I'm concerned - are there any other options?

Many thanks on advance.

5 REPLIES 5
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Almost anything can be stolen. All you can do is slow them down. If you're really that concerned, put a cage of some sort over the camera. Be aware that even that can be cut/pried/whatever apart so the camera can be removed.

JoeCymru
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

To slow them down even more check out Wasserstein Anti-Theft Security Chain. About $14. Seeing the chain may make someone think twice.

hokeysmoke
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

There's a big thread about this here:

https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo/Mounting-securely-outside-so-it-doesn-t-get-stolen/td-p/745

If I were thinking I needed something to deter theft, I would think about using an adhesive mounted phone tether solution and use a steel cable for the tether.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KF11RB2

mrdo
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks guys for the links - very much appreciated.

I'm still very disappointed that there isn't an official solution. I've read some of the reviews of the Wasserstein chains which are less than glowing but it sounds like the most sensible option at the moment.

Once again - thanks for taking the time to reply - much appreciated.

pc2k17
Hero
Hero

I have the chain and it works fine. It won't stop someone with chain/lock cutters to just cut the chain, but most meth heads aren't walking around with that stuff. The chain and screwed to the mount is enough to deter the average thief just walking by thinking they will take your camera by just pulling it down. Plus if it's up high enough where no one can reach it then unless they bring a ladder they'll just move on to easier targets. (also with it synced to your base, it's useless to anyone else, so why steal something that won't work)