Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Record Time After Update

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
deplashat
Guide
Guide

Having massive issues with my Arlo Pro record time.

The average record time for my camera's used to be 20-40 seconds.  I've recently noticed this has significantly reduced to 10-15 seconds.  Has anyone else noticed this?  

As a security device this significantly hampers it's effectiveness.  It's enough to see someone walk into my front yard but then the camera stops recording before they are close enough to see who it is or where they end up.  It then doesn't record again for some time so the camera will only record someone approaching my house and then I have no footage of them leaving.  This is very troubling!  I have numerous recordings of me taking out the bins and then never returning. 

I haven't changed my camera settings.  The camera in question is probably no more than 5-10 metres from the base station. I presume this is a result of the update.

Additionally my camera at the back door has stopped recording on motion entirely.  I have removed, re-added and resynced the camera numerous times however this has not fixed the problem.

Is anyone else experiencing these issues?  This camera system was great but I'm at my wits end after these last few weeks.  I bought this camera based on the software and the cloud recording but neither seem to be reliable.

Can anyone help?

7 REPLIES 7
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

What are your recording times actually set for?

deplashat
Guide
Guide

"Record until activity stops (up to 300 seconds)". I've aways had the camera set up this way.

With my camera that is no longer recording I resycned it again (as well as rebooting the base unit) last night.  I hoped this would resolve the issue.  I also toggled the camera to also start recording on audio.  Now, audio prompts the camera to start recording however movement does not.  I raised (movement) sensitivity from 80% to 95%.  There is a lot of activity happening on this camera but unfortunately it is (still) not recording.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Try a timed recording - any difference? Is this a custom mode? If so, create a new one with the same settings.

pc2k17
Hero
Hero

When motion is detected, there is always a few second delay before the camera actually starts recording. This is because it's a cloud based camera system.

If your set to record until motion stops....... if your motion is only 10 seconds you'll get about 8 seconds of video. Once recording has begun, if you stop moving and the recording stops, there will be a delay before the camera can start to record again. This delay is about 3-8 seconds. So if you move again in that 3-8 seconds nothing will happen as the camera "resets" after the last recording was done. In this scenario it will seem as if it's not seeing motion, but really it just can't start again for a few seconds. This is because this camera system is a cloud based system.

To avoid this and make sure you record all that you need to record, set your record time to one minute. I have all mine set to one minute. Yes I get videos that can be way to long and the person or animal is long gone, but it's better than missing things. Note: This will deplete your camera batteries faster as well due to the longer record length.

deplashat
Guide
Guide

Thanks for the detailed reply.  I understand this is a cloud based system and the resulting 'delay' between clips.  This seems to have been exaggerated since the update however as previously the 'gap' wasn't this long.

I find that the camera will now start recording and then stop recording mid-way through despite their still being action on the camera.  I might try increasing sensitivity to see whether this will stop the camera from turning off despite action in the camera's view/range.

Previously, if the recording did stop prematurely the camera would start recording a very short time afterwards. 

IE.  The walk to my bins and out to the street would be recorded in one clip.  The next clip would start at me halfway across the frontyard on my way back to the front door.  Now I get 1 clip of me walking to the bin and due to the delay the camera is now not ready to record until I am back in the house.  This is a recent change as it hasn't always been like this.

As a work around I've increased my record time to 1 minute but 3 weeks back I never had this issue.  

deplashat
Guide
Guide

Also, still unable to get my Arlo Pro at the back door working.

Have turned it off, recharged it, re-synced it and it will not record on motion.  It will only record if I set it to trigger on audio.  Was working fine 3 weeks ago but then randomly stopped.

Any suggestions welcome. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Hardware issues have to be addressed by opening a case with support here.