Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro without cloud recording/uploading

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
bogchop
Tutor
Tutor

Hi there.

Very interested in purchasing this particular cam for some outdoor security. However, I have one main requirement that I can't seem to get a definitive answer for.

Can I use this system with local storage only, whilst disabling the cloud upload/storage? i.e either connecting a USB stick/HDD to the main base, or possibly recording directly to a local file server/NAS?

Reason being is that data caps are pathetic in Australia, and this will chew away at my paltry limit (some of our ISPs count uploads towards our usage, like mine!).

I want the unit to be able to:

1. Record 100% of the time to external storage (HDD or local LAN directory)

2. Disable cloud upload/storage.

Can anybody clear this up for me?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Can I use this system with local storage only, whilst disabling the cloud upload/storage?

Tech wise it can be done, BUT maybe not to your liking

The way the USB backup works is that it records to the cloud AND the USB drive at the same time...it is desgined that IF the internet goes down the backup USB drive will continue to record as it was prevously set. USB drive can be a stick or hd up to 2TB ( some HD need external power as the port supplies 500ma I believe. )

Two issues...

1) without internet you CAN NOT change commands to the Base/ cameras

2) the USB drive is NOT directly viewable...you must eject the drive AND plug it into a deveice that can read the mp4 files

If you have any more direct questions ask away

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Can I use this system with local storage only, whilst disabling the cloud upload/storage?

Tech wise it can be done, BUT maybe not to your liking

The way the USB backup works is that it records to the cloud AND the USB drive at the same time...it is desgined that IF the internet goes down the backup USB drive will continue to record as it was prevously set. USB drive can be a stick or hd up to 2TB ( some HD need external power as the port supplies 500ma I believe. )

Two issues...

1) without internet you CAN NOT change commands to the Base/ cameras

2) the USB drive is NOT directly viewable...you must eject the drive AND plug it into a deveice that can read the mp4 files

If you have any more direct questions ask away

bogchop
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks for that.

What do you mean tech wise? Do I need to block outgoing traffic from the camera's IP?

1. What is meant by change commands to the base/cam? Does this mean directly access them?

2. I have no issue with ejecting the drive, so long as I can access it.

Thanks again.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

tech wise means you would have to play with the system to frorce it to do what you want... and you wouldn't be happy prob

1) yes, you would have NO access to the cameras or control except what was set before you disconnected the internet

2) to eject the USB , it is a control from the compter>interent>base so you need to plug into the internet to eject same ( or just pull it and take chances )

Remember... All commands, and viewing do not come directly to you... every thing ( even if live viewing goes BASE>CLOUD Servers>BACK to you or base)

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

In all honesty, Don't think it will suit your needs... you prob need more of a straigt forward IP cam

bogchop
Tutor
Tutor

TomMac wrote:

tech wise means you would have to play with the system to frorce it to do what you want... and you wouldn't be happy prob

Thanks Tom. This is a big shame. I wasn't overly happy about the 720p quality of the pro, however, this is a massive deal breaker.
I've posted a request in the idea exchange area, hopefully it'll be read and maybe actioned one day, as I absolutely love the idea that I'll be able to power the outdoor camera with a solar panel.
Cheers.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Don't rule it out... there are simple kits that can use IP cams with a 6 or 12v gell cell and solar panel to keep the battery up...

Most important would be your usage or current draw vs battery size and solar to replace whats used.

Think outside the box....depends on your needs

Ive used a nice game camera that is solar powered