Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro with Samsung Smartthings

Discussion stats
  • 20 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
Safetymel
Follower
Follower

I have been reading a lot about the Arlo sameras and integrating with Smartthings.  Just one question that is not answered anywhere.  I have been runing Smartthings for several years and want to try some Arlo cameras.  Do I have to have the the Arlo base unit or can I just get the cameras and integrate them directly with the Smartthings Hub? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
brh
Master
Master

@Safetymel

You will need the base unit. The cameras won't work without the Arlo Base unit. I am currently running 5 Arlo cameras on Smartthings and I am loving the integration. Many problems that people are reporting here are easily solved in Smartthings.

Brian

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
brh
Master
Master

@Safetymel

You will need the base unit. The cameras won't work without the Arlo Base unit. I am currently running 5 Arlo cameras on Smartthings and I am loving the integration. Many problems that people are reporting here are easily solved in Smartthings.

Brian

shoustonnz
Luminary
Luminary
I can not get past the connection stage. I just get "1204 redirect uri is not correct"
See attached.
Netgear, Arlo, why not just make widgets. To Arm, disarm, and custom modes.
And stop faffing with 3rd party apps. Even better....... make geo fencing work.
brh
Master
Master

@shoustonnz

If I understand you, you cannot get the Smartthings Connect to work, Right?

Nick6Young and I spent a long time trying to figure out why he could not connect to Smartthings both on this forum and the Smartthings Community forum. Here is how he solved the problem.

"I've solved this. I couldn't get the 'Smartthings' mode to automatically create.
But it works if you manually create the mode. Just make sure you call it Smartthings... and the vital bit, the rule name needs to be serial number of the camera. Any other settings (e.g. video, audio, push notifications) can be to your own preference."

Brian

shoustonnz
Luminary
Luminary
Had a go. Can not work it out. Going in the 2 hard basket. IFTTT works most of the time. But limited to on or off. Their geo fencing is no better either.
brh
Master
Master

@shoustonnz

By your reply, I am not sure if you are asking for help or not. Here is the link to the article on how to connect the two systems together.

https://kb.arlo.com/1132961/How-do-I-integrate-my-Arlo-cameras-into-the-Samsung-SmartThings-app

If you are having problems with this let us know. There are many people on this forum that have integrated their Arlo system with the Smartthings system and will be more than happy to help you.

Brian

shoustonnz
Luminary
Luminary
I followed the tutorial.
A. #4 Does not exist. So jump to #5 "Tap Arlo Netgear"
B. #7. This is where it fails. I cannot connect. I get error 1204.
C. Can nor proceed.
brh
Master
Master

@shoustonnz

Sorry, I wrote and posted a long post with instructions, but somehow it did not go through. So here it is again.

Open your Arlo App

Go to the Settings icon at the bottom of the page and click on it.

On the next page click on the arrow to the right of the words My Devices.

On the next page your cameras should be listed. For now Arlo is keeping track of each camera by its serial number. You want to give each camera a user friendly name such as, Front Porch Arlo. 

Click on the arrow to the right of the first camera.

On the next page click on the arrow to the right of the word Name.

There will be a text box here where you type in the name you have chosen for this camera. Don't worry if you type in a name for the wrong camera, you can go back later and change it.

As soon as you start typing the word Save will appear at the top right of this page.

When you have finished typing in the name fot his camera, click on the word Save.

Back out until you go back to the page where your cameras are listed and follow this procedure for each camera to give it a user friendly name.

When you have finished naming all the cameras, back out until you get to the page you started with.

Click on the Mode icon at the bottom of the page.

You will see The serial number of your Arlo base station with the selected mode in green by the side of it.

Click on the arrow by the side of the green mode status to the right of your base station serial number.

You will see four Modes here:

Armed

Disarmed

Schedule

Geofencing.

Click on the word Disarmed.

At this point close the Arlo App.

Let me know if you have been successful or not in giving each camera a user friendly name in the Arlo App.

Next we will go to the Smartthings app and open it.

Brian

g3niu5
Luminary
Luminary
If I switch from Arlo app to smartthings will I lose all my settings in the app? Like modes and etc. I'd like to try smartthings but I have the Arlo app setup exactly the way I want it and don't want to lose it.
Also what can you do with Smartbings that you can't with Arlo app. Just wondering
shoustonnz
Luminary
Luminary
Very clear and precise instructions. But what is not mentioned anywhere in the app or other of the tutorials. Is the need for a smart hub.
These are not available in NZ. And, its another device.and cost
Honestly why just not have widgets with the app. I just want to reliably arm disarm or use a custom mode.

brh
Master
Master

@g3niu5

Since Smartthings takes over control of the cameras, yes, some things like Modes and Rules will change. You will have to set them up in Smartthings but Smartthings allows so much more complexity to what you can do with the cameras.  How to use them to the best advantage in Smartthings is too long of a discourse to fit into this post but to answer your other question, I can use many different Zwave and Zigbee devices to record video, such as water leak sensors, temperature sensors, (that are built into most of the sensors used in Smartthings), motion detectors, open/closed sensors, luminosity sensors and thermostats to include a few examples. You can use the motion sensors built into the cameras to turn on/off lights, etc. 

The only problem I have noticed that the video recording lag will be increased by a couple of seconds, but there are workarounds for that.

Brian

steve_t
Master Master
Master

wrote:
Very clear and precise instructions. But what is not mentioned anywhere in the app or other of the tutorials. Is the need for a smart hub.
These are not available in NZ. And, its another device.and cost
Honestly why just not have widgets with the app. I just want to reliably arm disarm or use a custom mode.

Wait. You're trying to use Smartthings without a Smartthings Hub?

shoustonnz
Luminary
Luminary

Yep.... They are not a thing here. Just an app, Hub not available in NZ. Feel dumb now.

steve_t
Master Master
Master

I bought a Smartthings Hub and a bunch of motion sensors from the US when I went there a few years ago. We're not supposed to use the US hub here in NZ because the Z-wave frequency is different but you can shut the z-wave off. Zigbee integration as well as other device integration is great. Arlo works well with ST to activate my Philips Hue lights outside and inside my house for a set length of time between certain hours as well as combine for security purposes. You could always get one sent over if the benefits of having one seem worth it to you. It's ridiculous how much more these sorts of things cost here compared to the US. I see Noel Leeming are selling the Amazon Echo range and while the Dots were available for US$29 recently, they're selling here for NZ$90

InvictaWhite
Aspirant
Aspirant

@brh  I also have a new Samsung SmartThings hub and was curious as to whether I need an Arlo base for these cameras. I see you have responded that this is required and the cameras will not work without it. I just wanted to check this as the instructions on how to connect the Arlo camera's to SmartThings say they need disabling from Arlo first and this is essential to link them to SmartThings. So if they are disabled from the Arlo, what is the purpose of the base?  I just want to make sure I don't spend more money than I need to 🙂

steve_t
Master Master
Master

You definitely need the base as the cameras can only connect to the base. The cameras aren't disabled, they're disarmed. In the Arlo app, the system is set to Smartthings mode, which contains a number of rules that basically say for the cameras to do nothing. This is because Smartthings is going to control the cameras, not Arlo

brh
Master
Master

@InvictaWhite

Firstly, tell me what model of Arlo cameras you have. The Arlo Q, Q Plus and Baby models do not need an Arlo Base.

The original Wire Free HD, Pro and Pro 2 do need the base to operate the cameras. If you notice, Arlo does not normally allow any non-Arlo devices to turn the cameras on or off or start the video recordings. With the Smartthings integration Arlo is allowing Smartthings to take over most of the operations of the cameras. Think of Smartthings as an on/off switch. Through routines and rules in smartthings you can leave the cameras in the "disabled" state and turn them on ("armed" state)when you run certain routines such as the built in  Good Bye or Good Night to arm them and the I'm Back or Good Morning routine to take them back to the "Disarmed" state. Smartthings can use just about any device/sensor to activate the cameras through Smartthings. For example: If you have a water leak sensor and it alerts you that it is detecting water, you can turn on the nearest camera and get a video recording of what is happening there.

If you need instructions on how to set the Smartthings system up with Arlo, I can find the link for you.

Back to the original question. Smartthings talks to Arlo through the cloud and vice versa and Arlo talks back and forth with the cameras through the base station.

Brian

InvictaWhite
Aspirant
Aspirant

@brh  Thanks, Brian, that's really helpful. I don't have any camera's yet, I am researching before I buy, and want to make sure I buy the right camera/equipment to go with SmartThings. I basically want two outdoor security cameras to record activity around our house when we are home or away and to provide more security. There have been some break-ins recently in the area and we now have a dog so we just want extra security and detterents. Not looking to spend a fortune, but would like to maximise the use of our SmartThings hub now we have it. I don't have a problem getting a base if that is the best system for us to have, I just want to make sure I don't end up spending money on something i don't need. I hope that makes sense.

We also have the latest Amazon Echo Plus which has a built in hub. I bought a Phillips Hue Bloom light thinking that would work with Alexa, like all the adverts said, but then realised I needed a Hue Bridge. So that light went back! So I want to make sure I know what I do and don't need with the cameras. I love the idea of wireless as I'm useless at DIY and outdoor electrics!!

brh
Master
Master

@InvictaWhite

For outdoor use I would recommend the Arlo Pro models. They can work with a solar panel to keep them charged all the time if you are using the batteries or, (once Arlo re-releases an outdoor power adapter), if you have power where you want to mount the cameras you won't need the battery. The Pro base station has 2 usb ports that you can insert Flash Drives or external hard drives, (up to 2 TB each), for back up storage. The base also has a pretty loud Siren built in.

Smartthings can be quite frustrating to understand the termiology at first, (Smart Home Monitor, Armed(Away) Armed (Stay), Away, Night, Home modes, routines and rules etc.) It took me a few weeks and a lot of questions on the Smartthings forum to set the system up the way I wanted it to work for my needs. So, any questions can be asked here and if it doesn't pertain to the Arlo/Smartthings integration you can qet your questions answered over at the Smartthings Community forum. Or you can send me a private email.

Brian

InvictaWhite
Aspirant
Aspirant

@brh Thank you, Brian, I really appreciate it. Typically, where one security camera will be will face North so no sun at all! But the other will be in full sun all day (well, as much as we get in the UK!) so that is really good to know. I will go for the Arlo Pro and then be back once I am failing to set it all up!!

Thanks again! Ellie

brh
Master
Master

@InvictaWhite

Having been the victim of a home burglary two years ago let me give you some suggestions as to the placement of the cameras. Most people place their cameras facing the street at a 90 degree angle to their structure. I feel that in most cases that is a mistake. Firstly the motion detection is the weakest at detecting someone/something coming straight on towards the camera. That means that the cameras only have a few seconds to pick them up and any delays in the cloud communications could result in the video completely missing them.

I placed my cameras facing the front door when it is open so that the whole wall of my house is visible including the door and windows. Should anyone attempt to break in through the door or windows they will have to move across the field of view of the camera where the motion detection is the strongest. Secondly, it would take them a minute or more to either break in through the door and longer if they tried to break and crawl in through the windows. I should be able to get the whole action on video and alert the authorities and hopefully, dispatch the police while they are still in the house.

Brian