Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Lisamaeg
Follower
Follower

I am wanting to install cameras at my kennel which is a good ways from my house and wifi router. My phone picks up my wifi and one end of kennel but not the other. I want a camera at each end. I am not tech savvy so not understanding if these cameras will work for me.

3 REPLIES 3
lostchild
Apprentice
Apprentice

The cameras are going to talk to the Arlo home base not to your router's WiFi.  The home base is connected to your router via wired ethernet.   So the question is if the Arlo home base WiFi will be strong enough to reach the other end of your kennel.   I think the official max range is like 300 feet but probably won't go that far with walls and stuff in between.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Like lostchild mentioned the max range for any wifi is about 300 ft.

but depending on construction, I've seen it as lows as 20-30 feet.

The only way to reach far is

1) move the base closer by

a) ethernet cable if you can run it

b) a wifi extender with an ethernet port for the base

2 ) use a second base if you can get one (the real only way to expand the coverage area of the cameras).

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
lostchild
Apprentice
Apprentice

Not sure I know how (2) works.  Could a second base talk to the first base without any wired ethernet connection?  Is the 2nd base like a WiFi extender for the camera?   If that's the case, right now both Amazon and Best Buy are selling the single camera system for $200 which is less than half the price of the 2 cameras system $420.  So it is cheaper to buy 2 of them and get 2 bases.