Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Trucha
Apprentice
Apprentice

Bought the Pro mainly to have the ability to speak through the camera when someone's at my front door the sound out of the Pro can barely be heard I would say you have to be two feet away to be able to hear. a
Anyone experience this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

A firmware update was released that should resolve the low speaker volume issue for Arlo Pro. Be sure you have the latest Arlo Pro camera firmware (1.089.0.1_9815) along with the latest Arlo mobile app versions installed.

JamesC

View solution in original post

159 REPLIES 159
Trucha
Apprentice
Apprentice

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Trucha,

Within the audio settings for your Arlo Pro there is an adjustment for speaker volume. Consider increasing the volume and test again.

You can find this setting by logging in to your Arlo account and navigating to Settings > My Devices > select your Arlo Pro camera > Audio Settings > Speaker Volume

JamesC

Trucha
Apprentice
Apprentice
Yes volume is at its max I tested another new Pro with same results very faint voice can be heard. Compared to my Arlo q I would say 30 percent it's that low. Anyone else
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Trucha,

What model device (Android,iOS) are you using when testing? It could be the microphone volume on the device that is causing an issue.

If you try testing from a different device (such as using a laptop web browser), do you get the same behavior?

JamesC

Tanbuck
Guide
Guide
I am having the same problem with volume too low coming out of camera. Volume is set to max and I've tried from IOS devices and PC. Any help?
Thank you.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

JamesC wrote:

What model device (Android,iOS) are you using when testing? It could be the microphone volume on the device that is causing an issue.

I just tried using Android 6 on a Nexus 10 tablet and I'd agree that it's very weak, at least for outdoors. There's no mic gain control to be had so no chance of boosting.

PesceTech
Aspirant
Aspirant

I agree..  Very low volume on the camera speaker.  I wonder if it's a firmware issue?

Trucha
Apprentice
Apprentice
Android 6.0.1 latest Apple update sorry don't have the I the IPhone also tested Ipad iOS 10.0.2
plasmo
Luminary
Luminary
Yes my Arlo Pro has very faint audio as well.

...the alarm on the other hand almost made me go deaf
Zandex
Guide
Guide

I'm experiencing the same issue with low volume coming from thr Arlo Pro speakers. I've tried it with Android and iOS and the same thing happening. Something is wrong with the product -- maybe it has to do with the firmware. I just got mine from Best Buy today October 22, 2016 at around 4pm PST.

SeaVee
Tutor
Tutor

I bought the Arlo Pro system with 4 cameras at Best Buy.  Have set it up and updated all firmware.  Audio OUT on all 4 cameras is virtually inaudible. All their mics pic up ambient sounds just fine.  Checked the camera settings and they are all at full volume.   Using iphone Six plus.

I have 13 days left to return this to BB.  If not fixed before then this is going back.

P-Arlo
Aspirant
Aspirant
Same here. New Arlo Pro 4 camera system... Audio coming out of the camera is basically inaudible--at full volume based on the slider in the setting, audio coming out of the speaker is quieter than a phone call that comes from your cell phone when you do NOT have the speakerphone on... less than a whisper. Unusable. honestly, it's so quiet i think it's a firmware mistake... Hopefully they will correct soon.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thank you all for the feedback, I have escalated this topic for further investigation. I will post back when I have more information.

JamesC

Psaras
Apprentice
Apprentice

100% agree. It is not a problem with users' devices as I have tried it on four differnt devices (iOS phones that work fine for normal calls and skype; android device, and my laptop with and without a top quality headset) both on my LAN as well as via WAN on each of the four cameras in my brand new fully firmware updated Arlo Pro system.

I have run resets on cameras, base and my router before coming to the conclusion it is either a firware flaw (I hope) or a hardware flaw (meaning a big problem).

I dont expect high qualilty sound coming out of the  camera, but it is marketed and sold as having useful duplex audio, and it does not.

VashX
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same here. Just picked up the 2 camera Arlo Pro from Best Buy. Audio from camera is really low and hard to hear. There is definately an issue. Hopefully can be fixed soon or will have to return this and wait for a fix as I am in the 15 day return policy and don't want to get screwed out of this feature somehow if it's a defected unit or batch that went out to all the BB's.

Urbangeek
Aspirant
Aspirant
Same experience as those above. Just purchased 10/25/16 from best buy. The audio definitely doesn't sound as demonstrated in their video.
https://youtu.be/_n6TBD3nHTI
SeaVee
Tutor
Tutor

Further update from my prior post above where I was using the arlo app on iphone 6 plus (fully updated O/S).  

I tried turning off in the iphone's Settings/General/Accessibility/Phone Noise Cancellation and again tested the four Arlo pro cams.  Same result, virtually no sound coming from the camera's speakers.   Tried it with the slim cover on the phone removed also - same result.

Installed the Arlo app on my wife's Samsung Galaxy s6 (also fully updated android O/S) and same results - virtually inaudible sound coming from the speakers - you could barely hear it even if you held the camera speaker just a couple of inches from your ear.

The two way comms advertised for the Arlo pro was a big selling point and a significant element of my purchase decision.

I will not take a chance losing out on my 14 day return window (12 as of now) that the issue may be hardware related as opposed to a software or firmware problem that is fixed down the road.  

I certainly hope explanation does not end up being that the camera's hardware is claimed to work properly.  For example a scenario where Netgear/Arlo "proves" it to work OK with a PC and microphone and we are told the issue is some inherent aspect/flaw with user's phones.

The overwhelming majority of people have iphones and android phones and its our phones that are the primary point of interaction with the Arlo system for most users.  Its up to Arlo to get their devices to interact correctly with these ubiquitous phones.

I really like the other aspects of the system but this is a deal breaker if not resolved.  Continuing the return period count down....

Trucha
Apprentice
Apprentice
Well said I'm right with you Netgear is pretty good at pushing fixes it would be nice if they would at least announce a fix here rather then us having to return their products..
Bob_1963
Guide
Guide

Same experience as those above. Just purchased 10/20/16 from best buy. The audio is not good at all I am hoping that a fix will becoming soon. This is one of the main reason I purchased the product.

Thanks

Bob

Psaras
Apprentice
Apprentice

SeaVee wrote:

I certainly hope explanation does not end up being that the camera's hardware is claimed to work properly.  For example a scenario where Netgear/Arlo "proves" it to work OK with a PC and microphone and we are told the issue is some inherent aspect/flaw with user's phones.

Agreed. that woudl be outright false advertsiging since the only client deice they show on their own main Arlo Product page on Arlo dot com when you hit "Pro" -- is an iPhone 6

And there are two pictures of client devices on the Arlo Pro box contianing Arlos claims pof features -- and the are both iPhones. Adn the official promitiona video's only device  is an iPad where we also all seeing unusable audio output to cameras.

If I make something to work with offroad vehicles and 90% of what I show in my own advertising be it  web, print and packaging material are Jeep Wranglers, and the only two pictures on the box in which I sell it in are Jeep Wrangers, I can't say: "Oh well it  works on some of road vehciles, but does not on Jeep wrangers."

This is an advertised and specifically promoted added value and added cost feature that simply does not function as advertised.

SeaVee
Tutor
Tutor

I'm willing to give them a chance to fix this and at this stage doubt that Netgear deliberately has tried to do any misleading advertising on this feature.

Netgear has to have tested these cameras extensively before production and shipment and for such a core feature they are touting I'll be shocked if its an inherent hardware issue. Hopefully its a relatively simple firmware update that gets done quickly.

But that has to come real quick as I and it seems a lot of others won't risk that its not fixed within out return windows for an item at this proce point.

I like Netgear and have had their routers for a while with no issues. Hopefully they resolve this issue soon.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

We are aware of an issue with audio on the Arlo Pro and are currently working hard toward implementing a fix as soon as possible. I will keep you updated with any new information I receive on this topic.

JamesC

FM3
Aspirant
Aspirant
I just purchased the Arlo Pro system (4 cams.. not cheap) yesterday from Best Buy as well.. One of the main reasons for getting this was the 2 way Audio feature and the siren capability... Sad to say I'm having the same issue about the audio coming from the camera is virtually unless... You can barely hear ANYTHING..I like my system all and all (no system is perfect) But if Netgear claims this is up to spec this thing is GOING BACK! Because is indeed false advertisement.. I called the support line first thing this morning. They said the engineers are working the issue... I will give them a few days then if it's not reslove then the whole thing is going back... Which would be a sad thing since everything else is great...
draku007
Star
Star

My issue with the 2-way audio is the time it takes before I can can talk to someone after I get the motion detected alert. The motion detection range is about 20ft and you can walk the 20 ft within 5sec. By the time I get the notification, open the app on my phone, enable the live stream and press the talk button the "mail man" will be gone and with the speaker not being so loud I don't think I'll ever be able to talk to the "mail man".

Last week the UPS guy didn't leave a package at my door because signature was required or it was up to the delivery man to decide if it's safe to leave the package at my door. For the first time the UPS decided not to leave the package. This was one of the cases I used to convice the family that the camera at the front door was such a good idea but now I don't think I would have the opportunity to tell him to leave the package in the back as he would be long gone before I would be making any noise out of the cam.

I still believe in the product which I had for 2 days now and learning the cons and pros as I go.