Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Vincent52
Guide
Guide

Can I install an Arlo Pro camera on a dock with out getting too many false triggers? It is a floating boat dock and I'd like to have some sort of security but since it floats it moves from nearby boat traffic. There is also constant water movement. Thank you. 

4 REPLIES 4
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The Pro Arlo may work well for that, the sense level is adjustable .... But what are you trying to capture?

people or boats?

Also, Whats the range to the base unit?

As a PS... There aren't many out there so you may have to wait for a definite answer

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
Vincent52
Guide
Guide
Thank you. I am trying to capture anyone messing with my boat if that ever happens. It's about 200' line of sight to the boat dock. Maybe I'll wait until around Christmas when more are in service. Thanks for your reply.
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Max distance for wifi ( which is what the cameras run on to the base ) is about 300 ft.

Mind that this under good conditions. If it has to go thru a wall or so, it may exceed the limit range.

Thats a hard call with a bunch of variables

Morse is faster than texting!
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

And on top of that you have sunlight, which has a lot of IR, reflecting off the water.  I'd think the Q cameras would be a better choice since it uses pixel differences to detect motion.