Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
dane
Star
Star

Just got my new Arlo Pro yesterday and noticed that the magnet seems to be weak or the battery might be heavier as it keeps slipping or moving down on the mount and does not hold position. Anyone else notice this or have this problem?

twice I have set it up and it seems it just slips down, does not fall off but does not stay in position. It is a bit heavier than the first generation arlo and wonder if that is the reason. 

81 REPLIES 81
benrob3
Tutor
Tutor

Dane - I think I understand your issue better and may have a solution based upon my attempt to adjust my camera. First i'd like to note that I do not believe the cameras are meant to be rolled around on the half ball to adjust position due to the textured surface. I installed a half ball inside and have had no problems with the camera shifting. What I noticed when I first installed the half ball and then when I tried to adjust the camera, was that the screw has to be fairly deep into the surface. That is the screw can not stick out much. The reason is, if you try to move the camera the mount will "swing" on the screw. The mount must be pulled straight down on the screw. I have done both of these things and have had zero problems with cameras moving. Hope this helps.

Nassim
Tutor
Tutor
Maybe we have defective mounts , I have one installed in my garage and it moves as much as the ones outside I even tried to put the cameras as center as possible no help . All screws not sticking out and the half balls mounts are nice and tight against a flat surface .
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I can vouch for this. I'm very careful about attachments and have redone them to ensure proper attachment. Never had a problem with the old cameras, only the Pros. The piece of balloon trick is working for me.

Hemicon
Guide
Guide
I am having the same issue with all 4 of my cameras moving. I didn't think about that rubber trick but I'm gonna try that. I have a box of latex gloves that I use for cleaning so I'll try that....... temporarily. There needs to be a solution for this. Maybe rubberized mounts. Today I cleaned the surface of the mount and the magnetic area on the camera with some acetone thinking that one or both were dirty and they still moved.
benrob3
Tutor
Tutor
Hemicon - are you implying that your camera does not have rubber in the cup where the magnet is?, the socket where the ball fits into?
Hemicon
Guide
Guide
Benrob3, my camera has the rubberized backing. I was referring to the half circle mount. I think if they make it of the same material as the back of the camera, that will work. If all else fails, I'll use the outdoor mounts that screw into the bottom of the camera. One of those mounts came in the 4 pack.
dane
Star
Star

Wonder if any update from Arlo regarding this issue. I also received a set of mounts from Arlo but they made no difference all cameras are still dropping down after a few hours not matter what position or how they are aligned. The base of the mount is firm on the wall as the screw is tight enough. It's the camera that keep sliding down and don't hold at all.

i hope there is a fix soon as the camera's are useless on this mount.

Hemicon
Guide
Guide
I solved my issue by buying the Indoor/outdoor mount. These are much better and I was worried about it looking too "gaudy" indoor but it's not bad. Yes the half sphere mount looks better but at least now they don't move anymore.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thank you to all community members for bringing this to our attention, if you are using the wall mount that came with your Arlo Pro system and your camera is still not staying in position, contact Arlo Support to speak to an expert for further investigation of the issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link. If you have any additional questions/concerns feel free to private message me. I would be happy to help.

For those affected by this issue, please take a look at this article: My Arlo Pro Wire-Free camera is losing its position; what do I do?

JamesC

Zandex
Guide
Guide

I just purchased the 4 cameras bundle at Best Buy on October 22, 2016. I'm experiencing this mount issue too. I've not opened a case yet. Just giving my voice to the community here. Note that I notice three of the cameras on the magnetic mount is dropping in position. The one camera is okay is the not using the magnet for mounting. This appears to be an issue, just like the low speaker volume on this production unit. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

At least temporarily, use a piece of balloon between the mount and camera. It allowed mine to keep from slipping.

plasmo
Luminary
Luminary

All 4 of my Pros have not slipped at all... but I have been using my older 1/2 ball mounts originally mounted with my Original Arlos.

DTskyking
Initiate
Initiate

I have the exact same problem. The pro version is heavy and always drop down to the lowest point. 

RobertRosal
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Well after hearing everyone complaining about the mount not holding the Pro in position, I decided to test it myself.

Yes, everyone is correct, these mounts are useless!  I hate to be harsh but when I see the image slowly moving downward every hour, it did not take long for me to decide to remove and replace them with real mounts!

NetGear should consider recalling them.  It's not like they have to recall the camera, just recall those cheap mounts!

I'd glady return them for something that works.

-Robert
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

A workaround is to use a piece of balloon between the camera and mount.  It's working well here.  Of course, a mount that doesn't slip in the first place is the real fix.

RobertRosal
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Thanks JG!

I already had intentions to use my metal mount but wanted to see if truly there were any warrants to all these complaints, and  I have to agree with everyone; there is a problem.  

So I went ahead and used an extra metal mount I had. 

-Robert
Nassim
Tutor
Tutor
So far 3 things are bad with my Arlo pro system 1st the mounts, 2nd black screen for the 1sec it starts recoding day time, 3rd at night time when the cameras are facing a light it keep switching constantly between night vision and normal keep skipping. I opened 3 tickets and awaiting replacement, they said couple weeks for new batch.
prof57
Guide
Guide

Have the same problem with mounts too. Arlo is mailing me new mounts.

Usmcvet
Star
Star
The only issue I had was with mount swinging of screw wasn't screwed in enough for mount.

I wonder if some people have a less powerful magnet in camera? I think that might be more likely then the metal mount being the issue if it is actually an issue of slippage vs mount swingage.
dane
Star
Star

Seems still no resolution with this problem. Hope their is a fix soon.

Tlpollock
Tutor
Tutor
I just got my new mounts in and just installed them. They do have a different texture and finish compared to my original mounts that came with it. I will see if they do any better.
Tlpollock
Tutor
Tutor
Well, the new mounts drop also. It seems to take longer to drop, but it is moving downwards.
RobertRosal
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Tlpollock wrote:
Well, the new mounts drop also. It seems to take longer to drop, but it is moving downwards.

That's horrible!

Well at least this time NetGear is actually doing something to fix this.

-Robert
Nassim
Tutor
Tutor
this is a response from a customer service Rep NETGEAR Support 10/31/2016 4:42 PM
Hi Nassim.
There are indeed a handful of people experiencing the issue and unfortunately you are one of them. But we've arranged returns through us or through our retailers and have received an Arlo Pro box that has properly working mounts.
So basically we are liars and all mounts work as designed smh.
Tlpollock
Tutor
Tutor
I see some screw in type aftermarket mounts on Amazon for $9.90 a pair. I hate to buy mounts for it because the ones that come with it should hold its position. I replied back on my open case and haven't heard anything back yet. Maybe they will just comp me the Arlo screw in outdoor mounts instead of the half ball mounts..