Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro mount issue weak magnet

Discussion stats
dane
Star
Star

Just got my new Arlo Pro yesterday and noticed that the magnet seems to be weak or the battery might be heavier as it keeps slipping or moving down on the mount and does not hold position. Anyone else notice this or have this problem?

twice I have set it up and it seems it just slips down, does not fall off but does not stay in position. It is a bit heavier than the first generation arlo and wonder if that is the reason. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thank you to all community members for bringing this to our attention, if you are using the wall mount that came with your Arlo Pro system and your camera is still not staying in position, contact Arlo Support to speak to an expert for further investigation of the issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link. If you have any additional questions/concerns feel free to private message me. I would be happy to help.

For those affected by this issue, please take a look at this article: My Arlo Pro Wire-Free camera is losing its position; what do I do?

JamesC

View solution in original post

81 REPLIES 81
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

dane wrote:

Just got my new Arlo Pro yesterday and noticed that the magnet seems to be weak or the battery might be heavier as it keeps slipping or moving down on the mount and does not hold position. Anyone else notice this or have this problem?

twice I have set it up and it seems it just slips down, does not fall off but does not stay in position. It is a bit heavier than the first generation arlo and wonder if that is the reason. 

Please if so, let Netgear know... you may not be the only one.

But, to make sure, have you used the newer "half - ball" mounts .. as the newer have a grainy surface compare to older ones ( I think came from vuezone )..

A trick that may work in the meanwhile ( i did it with some of the older mounts ) was use a dime shaped piece of old balloon material ( just soft rubber that's thin ) between the cam and the ball mount.... solved slippage.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
dane
Star
Star

Yes I did call Netgear Support today and first call after 20 minutes dropped and no one called back and than on the 2nd call after explaining and the agent going back and forth was told someone will be calling back within the day to see what the resolution or issue is.

All camers are doing this as left them again in correct positon and than they are all losing position again. And i have used the new mounts that came in the box.

So when you say the trick to use, can you explain a bit further as atleast might help meantime to keep the in position as as of right not they are unuseable.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

dane wrote:

Yes I did call Netgear Support today and first call after 20 minutes dropped and no one called back and than on the 2nd call after explaining and the agent going back and forth was told someone will be calling back within the day to see what the resolution or issue is.

All camers are doing this as left them again in correct positon and than they are all losing position again. And i have used the new mounts that came in the box.

So when you say the trick to use, can you explain a bit further as atleast might help meantime to keep the in position as as of right not they are unuseable.

Thanks for the further info...

Not sure why you have problems...   I just tested a half-ball mount and a lollipop mount (with full ball)... found that on my PRO it was fine and no slippage even with shaking...  Question , where is it mounted?  Users have seen problems with small birds landin on the cameras at times.

Or possible that something can hit it ?

As to the temp fix,  I took an old balloon, cut a dime size piece of rubber from it... Then placed it on the mount and put the camera over it.  The small piece provided just enough more friction/sticky to stop the cams from sliding.

dane
Star
Star

2 are outside and 1 inside. They just loose positon in a few hours as gradually sink, when first mount themk in position they seem solid but do gradually sink. Have had the first generation too and never this issue.

Will use the balloon trick for now. Thanks.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

your not alone... Jeff sees similar problem

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Pro/Pro-cameras-update/m-p/1157420

RobertRosal
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

This looks as if this may be an issue.

Please everyone who already have the Pro, bring all the issues up, nothing is too small to bring up, Netgear needs to be aware and hopefully production models can be corrected!

-Robert
dane
Star
Star

That is good to know, as it definitely is a slip issue due to the weight of the camera being different as mentioned in the other post.

ChristineT
Arlo Employee Retired

RobertRosal wrote:

This looks as if this may be an issue.

Please everyone who already have the Pro, bring all the issues up, nothing is too small to bring up, Netgear needs to be aware and hopefully production models can be corrected!

Good afternoon Arlo Community! 

@RobertRosal - You are absolutely right! Nothing is too small to bring up! This is a perfect example of how NETGEAR can gain insight into product issues and get them corrected! This issue has been raised to our engineering team to investigate further!!

@dane - We are also investigating a possible telecomm issue so thank you for bringing that to our attention! I'll take this issue offline with you so as not to clutter this thread.  If support hasn't already issued an RMA please let me know and I'll follow up accordingly.

@TomMac - Thank you for always thinking outside the box and sharing your ingenious ideas and work-arounds! 

Thank you one and all for adding immense value to this community! 

ChristineT

Community Manager

____
Please click KUDOS or REPLY if you found this helpful.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Yeah, I just hadn't gotten around to opening a case. The balloon trick works so far. Tom, the issue isn't immediate but, as posted above, over time.
dane
Star
Star

To ChristineT

I did contact support twice but no RMA has been issued and not sure if a case opened as yet as not recieved any email with a case number or anything. How do I get in otuch with you to open RMA..

thanks.

dane
Star
Star

To ChristineT

I did contact support twice but no RMA has been issued and not sure if a case opened as yet as not recieved any email with a case number or anything. How do I get in otuch with you to open RMA..
thanks.

Tlpollock
Tutor
Tutor
I have the problem with the cameras dropping down also. I will try the balloon fix and see if that stops it. My other camera is set all the way in the down position already so it hasn't moved. Other than that issue, I have been pleased so far. It's only been two days though.
Nassim
Tutor
Tutor
I also have the same problem , I just called customer support and they seem like they are Aware of the issues.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

For those affected by this issue, please take a look at this article: My Arlo Pro Wire-Free camera is losing its position; what do I do?

Thank you,

JamesC

Nassim
Tutor
Tutor
NO!! we are using the new mounts and yes it's not staying in place . Please find a solution soon or I will just return the cameras. It's not fair for us to pay all this money for something that does not function correctly. We know that the cameras are good but it's useless when it's facing the floor.
Thank you
dane
Star
Star

As Nassim above mentioned, we are using the new mounts that came with the Arlo pro Camera and they are not staying in place. This really needs to be corrected rather than saying we are using wrong mounts.

dane
Star
Star
As Nassim above mentioned, we are using the new mounts that came with the Arlo pro Camera and they are not staying in place. This really needs to be corrected rather than saying we are using wrong mounts.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It's not really an issue of telling you that you're using the wrong mounts, it's a possibility. I did try to use the old mounts first and then switched to the new ones.  I can't tell a difference between them so if there's a difference, it's not obvious.

In any event, if it's slipping for you like mine are, contact support, as stated in the FAQ and here.

tsonka
Star
Star

I am having the same prolem. 

I have 3 cameras on the half ball wall mount, in a 12 hour time all 3 will move down a noteable amount. 1 camera will move from approx middle posion to all the way down, the other 2 are creeping slower but will need adjusted in the morning

This is my 1st Arlo system, is not an old mount issue, i have no old mounts

*edited for typos 😞

plasmo
Luminary
Luminary
What exactly are the differences between the older original Wall mount vs. the new Arlo pro wall mount?
They look the same to me.
I am asking this because I am selling my older original Arlo kit but didn't swap the mounts since they are already mounted on my walls... should I swap these mounts to the new ones? (The old ones seem to be working fine)
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I can't tell the difference, either.  Maybe a very close inspection of the surface may tell but I had the Pro camera slip in exactly the same way with both old and new mounts.

tsonka
Star
Star

I am going to buy some balloon's today and try the piece of rubber idea .... I do not think the problem is a "weak magnet" I think it is poor friction

Nassim
Tutor
Tutor
I tried a rubber glove did not work , will try a ballon next .
tsonka
Star
Star

I have been talking to Netgear support on this issue and am having some new wall mounts sent to me ... I am yet to receive the mounts to report any differences, but the communication with them was very easy ... I encourage people who are having an issue to contact support directly, I used Live Chat and was a godo experience