Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 14 Replies
  • 18 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation
Hippy7
Guide
Guide

It was working on all 4 cameras, now it only works on 1 when I’m really close. My back gate was open today when I got home and I would have known why a month ago, but it’s flakes out the last couple of weeks. It doesn’t pick up cars in the driveway, deer eating my trees or somebody going in my back yard.

14 REPLIES 14
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hey @Hippy7,

Try the following steps below to see if motion detection works:

1) Go to "Modes" on your Arlo app or web version and make sure that you have "Motion is detected" checked. Also make sure you have "Push Notifications" or "Send Email Alert" checked and save your settings.

2) Then under "Settings", use "Motion Detection Test" to see if motion is detected. While running this test, the LED on the camera will flash if your motion is detected. If it doesn't detect, try to adjust the motion sensitivity. 

silverado44
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Camera motion detection has really gone down hill since last firmware change but they don't and refuse to fix it, for one my cameras (5) are in the same spot for over a year and a half and for that time have been trouble free and since the last update I have to be around 10' in front of the cameras for it to trigger and that's with sensitivity up to 100% use to be around 90% and it would go off at about 30'. There techs have trashed and good product and will not fix it. They try to fix 1 bug in the system and create 2 more bugs, this has been going on since early August and this system is not cheap to purchase and we expect it to perform for the money we spent. I often wonder if the new CEO is aware of all this. 

Oh yeah I posted my problem on here about a month ago and what did I get? A link on how to set up my cameras. Been in the same trouble free spot for over a year and a half and now I get how to set up my cameras.

If your techs cant fix the problems then get someone that knows something to fix it or your product wont be around long.

WhiskyTango99
Initiate
Initiate

I agree with everything you said Silverado44. I have had my cameras for over a year now and they used to work great. Anytime i got an alert i could view it fast and the camera batteries lasted around 4 or 5 months. Now the batteries last about 3 weeks and my motion detection stopped working on a camera. Any time i try to to view an alert or look at a camera live it takes forever to open and sometimes just shuts down. I used to be able to talk and hear through the camera flawlessly and now it doesnt work because it just freezes up. I am so pissed and sick of this!!!!!! It seems like things get worse every month! And the customer service is non existent! I am so mad i purchased these cameras now!!!!!!!!!!!

Hippy7
Guide
Guide
Thxs for suggestions, but....
1) in the app there is no modes>motion is detected
2) in the setting >motion is detected test, only one device responded regardless of the speed setting, and I was 2 ft from it in a covered porch

Thanks
pc2k17
Hero
Hero

@silverado44

FYI -- The motion detection issue is being worked on. I did some testing for them.

@Hippy7

I think Jessica meant....... edit your Mode that your using, then edit the Rule, inside that Mode, for each camera. Make sure you have the correct camera picked in the rule and that detects motion is set and record video is set as well.

Redmoonstar
Luminary
Luminary

@pc2k17 when did you do the testing? My motion detection (along with other multiple issues) has been terrible since that May upgrade & I have now purchased another brand camera to trial. I'm waiting for it to come and if it works as advertised and the arlo system is still useless I will be returning the Arlo for a refund and going with Reolink. 

pc2k17
Hero
Hero

@Redmoonstar

Tested last week. Was rolled back to pre May firmware. Motion was better on big objects, but it broke the ability to change modes in the andriod app. Not sure if/when I'll test again. They are trying though.

MotoRider42HC
Luminary
Luminary

@pc2k17 wrote:

@Redmoonstar

Tested last week. Was rolled back to pre May firmware. Motion was better on big objects, but it broke the ability to change modes in the andriod app. Not sure if/when I'll test again. They are trying though.

keep us posted with updates if you hear any more about the testing!  i have 8 cameras in my setup and only 2 of them detect or record anything these past few weeks. 

Hippy7
Guide
Guide
Well now my apps changed and arming isn’t even an option. Help?
pc2k17
Hero
Hero

@Hippy7 wrote:
Well now my apps changed and arming isn’t even an option. Help?

Can you explain a bit more? Are you saying the Armed mode is missing?

Hippy7
Guide
Guide
The “mode” icon at the bottom of the first screen was just gone. It came back last night. The motion detection still isn’t working. When armed, the devices show me walking around but it doesn’t trigger an alarm, except for on 1 of my 4 cameras.
pc2k17
Hero
Hero

@Hippy7

Are you using custom modes or the standard Armed / Disarm / Schedule / Geofence mode?

From your previous post..... it sounds like your cameras are detecting you, recording, but aren't notifying you of the motion event? Is that correct?

If so, check your rules and make sure you turned on detect motion, record motion, and push notifications. Also check in android Settings, Notifications, Arlo and make sure it's all turned on.

If not, and they simply aren't decting any motion at all, even in the Motion Detection Test section then something is wrong with the cameras and you might need to open a case with support.

Hippy7
Guide
Guide
I’m using standard armed (which is showing up now as an option). Yes, the cameras see me, but don’t register as motion and therefore don’t record. I will open a case w support, thank you.
Hippy7
Guide
Guide
I called support, being within 12 months of purchase) and they had me reset the hub and remove batteries to reset the cameras. That seems to have worked. I’ll be keeping a close eye on it. Thanks everyone for your guidance!!