Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro marketing fail

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Trucky
Tutor
Tutor

It seems that most technology sellers will talk about their upcoming new models, version, etc. well in advance. You hype up the new and improved version, coming to stores in October of 2016. This gives the potential buyer a chance to weigh their purchase. Should I buy now to satisfy my camera needs, or should I wait a few weeks and step up to the new version? Netgear failed in this basic marketing method and just dropped the new product without any real pre-press. I know I'm not alone in thinking I'd wait just a few weeks and get a new version instead of investing in now outdated product.

If they think this is a brilliant marketing plan I will have to disagree. I likely won't invest further in this product. I think there are other equal, if not better, products out there. Canary Flex is one. It comes with the option of wired or battery and does not require a base station. Bada bing.

Now I'm rethinking my whole surveillance logistics, and may just go to the time tested, no delay, local storage, movement zonable, no more battery IP wireless camera. The pain of running a wire one time far outweighs the royal pain of all the shortcomings of the Arlo platform.

3 REPLIES 3
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Trucky,

If you already have an Arlo Wire-Free system, the Arlo Pro Cameras and the Arlo Pro Base Station are both backward compatible to work with that system. This provides the flexibility of mixing and matching devices based on the users specific needs.

For example, you can enhance your existing Arlo Wire-Free system by adding the Arlo Pro Base Station and gaining the new Arlo Pro Base Station features. This allows users to obtain new features while utilizing their existing devices.

JamesC

Trucky
Tutor
Tutor

James,

I appreciate you repeating what you seem to say to most who are expressing some regret or lack of faith in the Arlo "upgrade".

However, none of this negates the total lack of customer support from Netgear when bringing a new product to market. I would say that many of the negative comments and posts here could have been so easily avoided by announcing plans to bring the new system out, even tooting your own horn with new features to build the market interest. When you take away the customer's options to buy now or wait a few weeks for the newer version due to lack of information I think we all lose.

Thanks for letting me express my opinion.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

To be fair, the current state of things is that they DID announce the enhancements recently, ahead of availability. Isn't that the same thing you're asking for?