Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 7 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation
Razor483
Tutor
Tutor
I have between 10 and 15 seconds of lag between realtime and camera feed... just completely useless for two way talk and realtime security. My doorbell camera has much better connection than this and there's no base station... I don't understand it. Anyone have any suggestions before I send the whole 4 pack Arlo Pro set back to the store?
13 REPLIES 13
steve_t
Master Master
Master

If you have the camera closer to the base station, do you get less lag? What are your internet speeds - ping, down, up? Go to www.speedtest.net to check. Unfortunately, the connection from camera to base is slow if it's far away. Then the signal has to go from the base station to the router to the internet to the arlo servers back down the internet to your phone/computer. If your internet speed, especially up, is slow, there will be a delay

Razor483
Tutor
Tutor
200Mb+ download and 15-20Mb up. It doesn't change if I bring it closer to base and didn't change when I plugged into a different router.
jun3280
Star
Star

Is there not a way to bypass the server to improve camera responsiveness during live view?  Isn't that what they do for the "camera positioning" option?  It would be ideal if there was a realtime/live mode where you could effectively use the 2 way communication.

Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor

I agree ,please inprove this netgear

jun3280 wrote:

Is there not a way to bypass the server to improve camera responsiveness during live view?  Isn't that what they do for the "camera positioning" option?  It would be ideal if there was a realtime/live mode where you could effectively use the 2 way communication.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
No way to bypass the servers - that's the architecture. There are various servers around the world but not all are located near you. My server always seems to be in Ireland although I'm in NYS.
Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor

Thanks. Me to ny

jguerdat wrote:
No way to bypass the servers - that's the architecture. There are various servers around the world but not all are located near you. My server always seems to be in Ireland although I'm in NYS.

jun3280
Star
Star

How do you find out what server you are connected to?  Perhaps to improve performance, they should allow the option to choose the closest server.

With regards to the architecture, I have to think they should be able to programmatically bypass the server based on a set of conditions.  My thought is a follows if LIVE VIEW is selected : 

1. If USB Hard Drive is connected to ARLO HUB 

2. Bypass SERVER, and use Local Area Connection to connect user (computer, phone) to camera (realtime IP Connection).

3. User communicates from device to camera in real time

4. Content is stored on USB Hard Drive.

5. If no USB Hard Drive is connected to ARLO Hub

6. Use default method, connecting through SERVER (10 sec delay)

7. Store content to cloud.

I have a WINK hub, and originally the device was setup to always go through the server, and they were able to add local area connections.  This was also true for cloud storage like Drop Box.  I guess it ultimately depends on how many people want true LIVE VIEW.  To build in the capability for 2 way communication is a wasted effort by Netgear if there is a 10-20 sec delay.  The LIVE VIEW is in particular could very useful for communicating with people at the door.

That said the ease of setup and the interface of Arlo Pro is very nice.  Hopefully, they are able to improve on the existing capabilities.  

Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor

That would nice  if they would do it. I use smart things

Pho77
Tutor
Tutor
I just bought the Arlo Pro and the lag is also 10-15 sec. This is just not acceptable and Harvey Norman won't even give me a refund.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Pho77,

How far away from the base station is the camera and what is the signal strength indicator showing? You might consider relocating the base station/camera so that they are closer together to try and improve the connection.

JamesC

Pho77
Tutor
Tutor
The 3 cameras are lined up right next to the hub (15cm) which is connected to my netgear nighthawk.
My upload speed is just above the minimum requirement which i found out after purchasing the product. Disappointing that this was not clearly stated on the product box and I will be taking this up further with the consumer protection onbudsman authority.
Having said that, i purchase the arlo on good faith as i have a Motorolla baby monitor connected to Hubble app and the lag is just 2 seconds. I was expecting Arlo Pro to at least meet or exceed the motorolla baby monitor's system architecture (for example, ability for internal network wifi or arlo to increase country server capability where video is uploaded to per jun3280's comment)
I am very disappointed and will not add any further Netgear Products.

Clearly there are strategic reasons for this product in relation to future product/segment releases (Arlo Baby)

Anyway.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Pho77,

I encourage you to contact the Arlo Support Team to further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link.

JamesC

Pho77
Tutor
Tutor
A case was submitted before my initial comments above. I am still waiting for the support agent to follow up on what he said he would do.