Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
heathm1
Guide
Guide

I have 4 Arlo Pro cameras plugged into their power adaptors. They all charged to 100% yesterday and now today they are all discharging to even though they are plugged into their power adaptors. Strangely they all have a power symbol which shows they are charging.
One camera has discharged to 1% but has not gone offline.
How can Arlo cameras discharge even though they are reporting a charging state?

7 REPLIES 7
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Make sure you are using the SUPPLIED ac adapter.... it is not a normal USB charger as it supplies both 5v to run and 9v to charge ( qualcom type charger )

A regular usb charger will not charge, but may run the camera

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Reboot the base and see if the reporting is different. If not, remove and reinsert the power cord. When you say there's a "power symbol", do you mean the battery with lightning bolt icon?

heathm1
Guide
Guide

Yes I am using Netgear Arlo Power adaptors which are the exact model used for Arlo Pro cameras.
I've rebooted the base station many times and that doesnt change the state of the battery.

Turning the power adaptors on and off corrected the problem - the app started showing the batteries increasing in charge - they eventually reached 100% by dinner time last night.

This morning 3/4 cameras are showing depleted batteries once again.

It seems that this problem will continue until the power adaptors are turned off and back on. 
I dont understand why this is happening?

One camera is offline. It seems there is nothing I can do remotely to get this camera online again as I have tried rebooting the base station.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It's possible batteries are bad but it's also possible that something else is going on, such as interference from another 2.4GHz device, perhaps near the base since it happens to multiple cameras. Try moving the base away from the router.

heathm1
Guide
Guide

That is quite useful information.
I will try doing some network analysis to see if there is congestion on the channels being used by the cameras, base station and router.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

2.4GHz interference doesn't have to be WiFi. Microwave ovens and cordless phones, among others, use the same frequency.

heathm1
Guide
Guide

I've moved the base station 2 metres away from the router and closer to the cameras.
This has resulted in the cameras having full signal strength to the base station and it seems to be that they are going offline less often.

Some of the cameras are still discharging overnight from 100% to ~30% and still showing a charging symbol.