Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 14 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
required_alias
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thought I posted this a few days ago.  Apparently not. 

I like what I've read bout the Arlo Pro but, after reading several reviews and posts here, I'm confused.  Before I put down cold cash, I have a few questions.

What is the maximum number of cameras and is this divided between indoor/outdoor?

Can the outdoor cameras be connected to AC?

I think I know the hub has two USB ports.  All reviews talk about using a flash drive in one port.  Can I use a hard drive?  Is there a maximum storage capacity?  Can I connect an AP to the other USB port and run cable 50'?

Is there a list of IFTTT devices?

14 REPLIES 14
Thanks4TheFish
Star
Star

Tutor,

The maximum number of cameras is a variable based upon your subscription. The free subscription allows for five cameras. Currently, I have the Elite subscription which allows for 15 cameras. I also have three cameras on CVR subscriptions so I can have a total of 18 cameras at this time. Elite 15 + each CVR subscriptions adds another camera = total 18. This could keep going based upon what you are willing to pay for until you run into network bandwidth issues.

You can purchase a separate outdoor power cable for the Arlo Pro cameras to have them connected to AC.

The base station has a USB port. I have a 2TB HDD connected to my base station without issue. I have not tried connected another AP off of the Arlo base station. If you are going to spend this much money there are better options for extending your WiFi network coverage. There is a lot of discussion about IFTTT here.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/tag/IFTTT/tg-p/board-id/arlo-idea-exchange

All the best

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

To be clear, you can't insert a WiFi extender to increase range - it's a security measure. What you can do is to use multiple bases (only the number of cameras counts as far as the need for a paid subscription is concerned) so the bases can be positioned for the attached cameras to have good signal.  You can use a WiFi or powerline extender to help position those extra bases.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Two things maybe not clear....

1) remember that the USB port for a HD or speed stick video backup IS REALLY FOR BACKUP ONLY if the internet goes down... While it does record MOTION activated ( not manually started record ) video to the cloud and USB drive, the videos are not directly accessable form the app/prgm.  The drive must be ejucted and then used on a devcie that reads mp4 files ( VLC player works well and free )

2) The ONLY real way to expand coverage area is by adding mulitple base (arlo/arlo pro ) to generate a wifi system that connects to the cameras only... you can not expand coverage with wifi extenders ( tho you can use an extender to centraly locate a base unit for best covrage to cams )

Down side of multi bases is they are really stand alone... tho the all appear in the app/prgm, each base must be armed/scheduled/disarmed on it own

Plus side , IMO,  is multi bases give better signal to cameras and you can run different areas easier ( like inside - outside ) on their own schedules, arming

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
required_alias
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thanks for the reply.  I could have worder my question better.  If I store security video locally, is there a max number of cameras?  Can I, for example, store 5 cameras on Arlo cloud, but ALL 12 camera videos locally?

Bases?  I remember reading noting about bases for each camera.  Where can I learn about these?  Do they have a range to a router/extender/AP?

required_alias
Apprentice
Apprentice

OK, is there a max size for flash drives connected to the hub?

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

required_alias wrote:

Thanks for the reply.  I could have worder my question better.  If I store security video locally, is there a max number of cameras?  Can I, for example, store 5 cameras on Arlo cloud, but ALL 12 camera videos locally?

Bases?  I remember reading noting about bases for each camera.  Where can I learn about these?  Do they have a range to a router/extender/AP?

No, you can not... only the cameras allowed by your service level on the account will record to the cloud and the usb back up drive ( basic (free) is 5, then paid for 10 and paid+ for 15 ) Btw, the record to cloud and usb is at same time.

The bases set up their OWN wifi netwokf for thecameras ONLY, no other devices .

OK, is there a max size for flash drives connected to the hub?

Fat 32 format , max size that will work is 2 TB ( limit for that fat32 format )

required_alias
Apprentice
Apprentice

Now I'm back to confused.  I think I know a hub creates it's own network that receives from all cameras.  Now I read "The bases set up their OWN wifi netwokf for the cameras ONLY"  so with 5 cameras I have 5 networks?   But separate networks can't "see" (communicate) with devices on other networks, right?  Is there a link that shows me these bases?

OK, so I'm stuck with recording only 5 cameras to USB unless I subscribe to more.  Can I record thoese 5 cameras to USB for longer (e.g., one month) but to the cloud for only one week?

migman_2001
Luminary
Luminary
Each Arlo hub will support up to 15 cameras for practical purposes (maybe a few more with CVR). So each Arlo hub sets up one network for all 15 cameras . Multiple bases do not communicate with each other. There are ways of using the accounts of each hub together via sharing to view all in one place.

It sounds like you can only record to usb the number of cameras attached to your subscription. The amount of recording to the cloud is determined by your subscription and the amount via usb by your usb storage device. (1g to cloud, any amount to your usb storage device up to its limit).
Remember to keep in mind you can only view non cloud recordings locally. And it will only record if there is power. to the base. So a backup power supply would be necessary. in order for any of this to work.
required_alias
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thanks.  One last questio (I hope).  I've googled "Arlo Pro" bases" and searched "Accessories" on Netgear.  Can't find any "bases."  Can you provide a link?

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

https://www.amazon.com/Netgear-Station-Wire-Free-Security-VMB4000-100NAS/dp/B071LR42ZP/ref=sr_1_4?ie...

required_alias
Apprentice
Apprentice

OK, I've orderd 4 cameras, 2 bases, 2 power adapters.  After ordering I went back and re-read this post and replies.  Couple more questions.  Is it possible to give credit for a solution to all those who replied? 

Someone commented "You can use a WiFi or powerline extender to help position those extra bases."  I'm a little lost there. How do I do that?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I believe only one post can be marked as a solution. However, any post can have a luck added to it.

For any kind of extender, this would allow you to position a base away from the router for more favorable connection to its cameras. it's not necessary, it just makes positioning easier.

required_alias
Apprentice
Apprentice

So I can add a wireless extender some distance from the router and the base some distance from that?  Or must it be a wired extender?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The extender has to be able to connect to the router so it can only be so far away. The base then has to connect to the extender via an Ethernet cable, which can be up to 300 feet.