Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
breezy1030
Guide
Guide

Has anyone had issues with Arlo cameras not recording at night? I've read the community forums and seems like a big issue but Arlo does not have a fix. I've called tech support 3 times and have rebooted, restarted, deleted and added cameras back, re-booted my wifi, all settings checked. My cameras are armed 24hrs, no scheduling or geofencing used and still records during the day and stops around 5pm until around 8am. This started about two weeks ago and Arlo support is useless all they keep telling me is to reboot, check if on schedule, etc...I've also stood in front of the cameras at night and still not detection recording but did this during the day and it detected motion. So frustrated tech support can't find a solution and each time call or chat it's about 1hr wait and they all say same thing reboot system. Please help anyone if you have same issue and got a resolution? I've had this system for 3yrs and been working fine up to recently.

29 REPLIES 29
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I've seen this reported but have no solutions to offer since it doesn't happen here. Given that you've tried almost everything I'd otherwise suggest, I would remove all devices from Settings, My Devices and start fresh. If desired, also hold the reset button until the LEDs flash amber. Claim the base and sync the cameras. Note all settings, modes and rules to speed the rebuild.

breezy1030
Guide
Guide

Hi Guru,

appreciate the info and yes I tried doing full reset and still happening. My neighbor next door is having same issue and a lot of people I've researched on the Arlo Community. I'm hoping Arlo do some research on this with their engineers to see if they can pinpoint issue but I doubt it since several people in the Arlo Community had a case open since early 2019 and still no resolution.

Going to just return my Arlo to Costco and start over with another brand I guess, maybe think hard about hard wire system.

sorozco
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm having this issue as well and haven't touched any settings.  I was about to upgrade cameras but if these are now being poorly supported and not working at night, I will too be looking for other options.  This is unfortunate.

UPDATE:

The cameras record at night.  It seems that their sensitivity has been nerfed so it's hard to trigger them now. 

breezy1030
Guide
Guide

Hi Sorozco,

That's good news your cameras are recording at night again. Mine is still no recording at night and I've tried all the different settings and test that Arlo asked me to try. At night when I test standing by the camera view it is triggering motion but when I check in the morning no motion alerts at all which is impossible since camera is facing out to street. I have it at 100% sensitivity but still no trigger and it's been same setting for over 2yrs without any changes to it.

It's frustrating since Arlo doesn't seem to care to look into deeper a lot of other users mentioned after Arlo's firmware update is when a lot of these issues are popping up but they too have no solutions. Arlo's customer service is terrible from my experience with no resolution so will be trying out other brands because it's useless if you can't capture motion at night

Good luck hope your cameras continue to work as it SHOULD!!! haha.

sorozco
Aspirant
Aspirant
I totally hear you and agree. Keep in mind that my cameras are recording but are very insensitive and requires somebody to blatantly try to get the cameras attention to trigger a recording. Previously, I had no such issue. I do admit my cameras have been off for a good six months or so but they never behaved like this. It makes me think there's some kind of ploy for Arlo to have us upgrade our cameras versus fixing the problems. I'm really torn because I need something sooner than later and their products should be the right one to use but I would hate to go by the ultra and have it behave the same way or have it fail within a year. I wish they would understand if he took care of us that we would be loyal customers for a long time. I wish you luck!
DubD
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have the exact same problem. Been recording great at night (and day) for the past few years and about a month or so ago it just stops recording at about 6pm every afternoon.
Diinsd
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi - So I am having a similar problem except my cameras are not recording motion at all.  Just out of the blue.  Working perfectly for about a year.  Reboot and reinstall not a solution.  The cameras work and I have put my sensitivity back to 95  To no avail.  Some people thinking deliberately done by Arlo to force an upgrade.  What do you all think? 

breezy1030
Guide
Guide
Hi,
There's no doubt Arlo is causing these types of issues on purpose in my opinion. If you research this topic many have same issues since early 2019 and still no resolution.

My neighbor have same issue so I don't think it's an isolated issue. The sad part from my experience with Arlo tech and customer service they either have no idea to find the issue or they just don't care. It doesn't help that the service reps are all from another country that was outsourced so they can only help with the basics. Every call I've had with a rep all tell me to reboot system it's ridiculous.

Hope you have better luck but I'm no longer going to spend another dime with a company that bill their product as high end and provide the worst customer service.

Good luck to you and if you find a solution please post because there's so many in the same situation.
breezy1030
Guide
Guide
Yeah for me and my neighbor started about a month ago too. I've asked them to have their engineers check maybe there's a bug from updates because its definitely not an isolated issue when so many having same similar issues.

Good luck hope you find solution but I'm going to purchase another brand doing a lot of research now.
breezy1030
Guide
Guide
They don't care so I've given up going to research for another system. Its useless if it doesn't catch motion at night and it puts our home and family in danger so time to move on no more dealing with an incompetent company like Arlo.

Good luck to you,
SDragon
Aspirant
Aspirant
I’m having the same problem. Stops recording each night. Have seen tons of customers having the same problem. There were five pages worth of complaints from 2019 into 2020 and then the topic was closed by Arlo with no resolution. Once again a new thread with the same problem. Any resolution Arlo? Most people purchased these cameras for night time auto burglars/thieves so not recording at night makes them worthless.
Nursejones73
Aspirant
Aspirant
I am having the same problem..randomly triggers. I even have the new doorbell and it isn’t triggering either. Very frustrating. I have my cameras hardwired to avoid battery loss.
Diinsd
Aspirant
Aspirant

So now I get the random hit at night but the weird thing is I get notifications for up to 15 hits but no video!  So did something really happen?  Where is my video?  I am so done with these cameras.

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Please contact the Support Team to further investigate this issue if rebooting your cameras and/or Base Station does not work. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link.

breezy1030
Guide
Guide

Hi SDragon,

I still have no resolution. All the calls to Arlo has been a waste, no supervisor or managers would call back as requested. The customer service reps are all international so all they can do is tell you to reboot system every time I call.

It's sad that we paid premium money for a product with such terrible customer service and the fact a lot of people are having this issue they don't seem to care to see what's wrong. I even suggested contacting their engineers to take a look but nothing.

I'm going to go to wired system my neighbor have one and he really likes it. It is a little more work of course during set up and running all the cables but i'm just going to hire electrician do the install and be done with ever having to buy another system at least hopefully next 5 to 10yrs...spread the word ARLO is a rip off system with the worst customer service help!!!

Good luck with you situation.

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hi breezy1030,

I've sent you a private message to gather more information from you in regards to your experience with the support team.

kac9909
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am having similar issues. I have 4 cameras and base station that I have had in place without any issues until about 2 weeks ago. Now, none of the cameras are recording, detecting motion (anytime of day), or sending alerts. I have reset the base, removed all the cameras and reconnected them. When I checked to see if they were capable of detecting motion, I do see the amber light but that's it. Nothing happens after. I can manually view what the camera is viewing by hitting play, so it is capable of "seeing" out of the camera. 

I am so angry after reading this thread. I am glad that its not just me, but angry that Arlo isn't doing anything about this $300+ paperweight we now all own. @JessicaP its been a couple days since you asked the last person to reach out... have you determined anything? Is Arlo intentionally sabotaging this product to force up to upgrade? 

Nursejones73
Aspirant
Aspirant
I haven’t received any communication or answers . Reading this thread, I don’t expect to hear anything, but is so maddening as I just invested in the video doorbell two months ago. I don’t want to start over with a whole system.
breezy1030
Guide
Guide

Sorry to hear you are having same issues as a lot of people. I have a ring doorbell and simplisafe alarm system that all use wifi and i've talked to my internet provider and all system working fine so it's definitely something with the Arlo hardware/software. But I've come to a resolution by getting a wired system upfront cost and labor to install is more but I can sleep sound at night knowing my home and family at least have eyes watching out for us. I just couldn't keep hoping for a resolution when the whole purpose is to be able to recording things at night, useless of a system if can't do that.

Good luck to you, hope you have better luck than me dealing with Arlo.

breezy1030
Guide
Guide

Hi Nursejones,

Sorry to hear you are having same issues. It is frustrating dealing with Arlo no matter how many calls or someone try to reach out to help they still can't find a solution. I've moved on got wired system, because not having protection at night is the main purpose of having security cameras so useless if that doesn't work.

I have the ring doorbell and love it. 

Good luck and hope you find solution.

Soulfire255
Aspirant
Aspirant
We have the same issues and it is extremely frustrating. Did you find a resolution? I am going to look at competitors today as there is no point in having arlo if it doesn’t work.
Boss281
Luminary
Luminary

My Arlo Pro cameras stopped recording PERIOD a day or two ago. I've noticed my mode rules are changing as well (if camera one goes off, record on camera two). No number of reboots, removing cameras and reinstalling, has worked. Might be time to invest in a system that works...

Boss281
Luminary
Luminary

Now this is interesting. I deleted all my free account recordings, and went outside and tried all 4 cameras. Three caught and recorded movement immediately. One still does not. I wonder if nothing is getting recorded if free space is full????

hobisan
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes, this is a problem with the Arlo cameras for over a year now.  Seems they did an update around the middle of 2019, then my cameras stopped detecting and recording motion at night.  There have been several forum discussions about this from 100s of users, but there has never been any resolution for anyone.  I'm ready to replace my cameras with something else.

Here is my speculation (my opinion only):  The cameras were being triggered when bugs flew near the cameras at night. This created such a large volume of recordings that Arlo discreetly decided to dial the sensitivity way down to the point where the cameras no longer capture anything at night.....which is precisely when most break-ins happen. 

The fact that Arlo will not address this obvious issue has done it for me.   Will never buy this brand again.