Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro cameras No way to Snapshot camera view anymore to set up activity zone???

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
ArloProOwner
Apprentice
Apprentice

11/28/2018

Where did the option go to take a new Photo/Snapshot of the particular camera location.  When you take these cameras down to charge them, and they get put up in a different location, therefore its showing the wrong photo/snapshot for that camera.  You use to be able to take a new snapshot or photo of it, and you definitely need a current photo/snapshot for the "Activity Zone" setup.  What have you done with this, you need to bring it back right away.  Also why doesn't Arlo notify their customers when changes have been made to our systems.  I have several cameras and can't set the activity zone for any of them because there's no way to "refresh" or take a new photo or snapshot of the camera's view.

8 REPLIES 8
brh
Master
Master

@ArloProOwner

I had to take down one of my cameras last night to change the batteries and sure enough I could not take a snapshot that changed the image too the new position. I tried for a couple of hours to no avail, then gave up.

Brian.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I can't refresh on the app, either. Web is fine. For the app, use the camera Video Settings and invert the image twice. That should work.

pc2k17
Hero
Hero

He guys, doesn't help your issue of no thumbnail/snapshot, but just wanted to share how I charge my outside camera. I charge it in place using a RAV Power battery pack. It supports quick charge 3.0 as well as regular charging. I simply plug the battery pack into the camera and then put the pack somewhere where it won't fall, move, disconnect, etc. Two hours later camera is fully charged and there's no need to pull the camera down. If it's raining or snowing I either wait to charge or I put the battery pack into a zip lock plastic bag and your good to go. Just thought I'd share.... beats taking down and putting cameras back up all the time to charge.

brh
Master
Master

@pc2k17

Great Idea. Thanks. Unfortunately my camera is one of the original Wire Free cameras with 4 batteries. My Pro cameras ar all on solar panels.

Brian

pc2k17
Hero
Hero

@brh

Oh got it. I thought about a solar panel, but haven't looked into it yet. I'm finding it hard right now to give Arlo any more money. Maybe in the future when things settle down with the system. 2018 has not been a good year for Arlo (system wise).

brh
Master
Master

@pc2k17

I totally understand your feelings. Still, the solar panels have been a "hang and forget" solution for me as my cameras are so high, I have to get a ladder to get to them. Plus I made custom mounts for the cameras to make them more difficult to steal. Lots of work for me to get to them to do anyghing with them.

Brian

ArloProOwner
Apprentice
Apprentice

12/06/18:  I did finally find the solution to that by spending hours searching through this community, and found someone who said you need to go onto the Arlo website and sign in and when you look at your cameras (in my case on a desktop computer) I could then go into each camera (I forget exactly where now, I think it was actually in the activity zone area) and on the computer I could see where you could SNAPSHOT a new picture.  This is something that Arlo needs to make accessible on the smartphones.  Not everyone can go into their cameras system via a computer to change something that should be able to be done right from your smartphone.  But again, remember, if you mess with the actual activity zone, creating, deleting, you must check to see if the checkbox is checked for recording when motion is detected, I think in the Mode section.  I don't remember off hand.  It's sucks that you have to check Settings, then Modes, and there's too many places that have to be searched, it's time consuming.  But good luck.  Arlo needs to send their customers an email letting everyone know of updates and solutions because it's too difficult to find answers in the "community" sometimes.  

On another note, I realized from reading through other community comments that, at least in my case, I happen to have a ArloPro2 add on camera plugged into AC power,  but I also had the rechargeable battery inside at the same time.  I went home, and kept the camera plugged in and opened the camera and removed the rechargeable battery, closed the camera and it still works the same.  I couldn't believe it, I thought it had to have the battery installed even if it was plugged in to AC power.  Apparently not....at least for an ArloPro2 camera that is.  I still need to try it on some of my other ArloPro cameras, but it was too cold and dark to try it last night.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It's always been that the Pro cameras (1 and 2) work off battery or AC alone. The advantage of leaving the battery in is that the camera will still work if external power is lost. Of course, in the event of a whole house power outage, you'd also need a UPS for your modem, router and base to keep the network up so the system keeps working.