Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro battery shows charged but when unplugged camera does not power on

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
klynch
Aspirant
Aspirant

My battery will charge while plugged in, but doesn't power on when when unplugged. I have updated firmware, plugged it in and charged it 5x's. I have had it for 1.5 years, so may be time for new rechargeable battery. However I have seen comments on here that replacing the battery doesn't work either. Is it worthwhile to try a new battery or add a solar charger to my system?

3 REPLIES 3
Dannybear
Master
Master
If you swap the battery with another camera and it also behaves the same then it could be the battery has died. I have had my batteries for three years and still going strong although I recharge them when they alert low.

If they are left to drain to 0% then you may not be able to re-prime them. I suspect the camera shuts off when below 2%.

If opposite then the camera firmware is causing the issue and likely needing a factory reset that the user is unable to do.

It’s always good to have a spare battery and camera and base station on hand.
klynch
Aspirant
Aspirant

thanks so much for your reply. is it worth buying replacement batteries? i've read on here that the problem doesn't get resolved with new batteries, instead it is a firmware issue. i have updated both base station and camera firmware. I just don't want to sink more money into arlo cameras if this problem won't be resolved with new batteries.

Dannybear
Master
Master
If you have swapped the battery from another camera and it holds up then the battery is either dead or needs re-priming. Refer

https://kb.arlo.com/000052305/My-Arlo-Pro-or-Arlo-Pro-2-battery-is-dead-what-do-I-do

If it still fails with another battery then the camera needs factory resetting since it thinks the battery is too low to charge and so shutdown to protect it. Maybe it thinks it’s too cold, who knows.

Regards the worth of buying spare batteries, if you have to climb a ladder to get to them, it would save you a trip if you have a replacement battery already with you.

As indicated earlier mine are still going strong after three years but their location is accessible without a ladder. I guess I will eventually to replace them all and likely find that their no longer available or cost the earth.