Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Base station stopped detecting internet after router upgrade

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
bvalley
Aspirant
Aspirant

I just updated my router from a 7-year old Netgear Nighthawk to the new Eero 6+. After making the transition, everything worked fine-- for a few hours.

Then suddenly the Arlo base station stopped detecting the internet. I tried everything, including swapping out the ethernet cable, powering down, and doing a complete factory reset.

Even after doing the factory reset, I won't get the blue light. The power light is green, the internet light is off, and the camera light is orange. I also tried deleting the base station in the app, but even after pressing "Remove Device", it still shows up in the app (though I'm not able to control anything, and all my cameras appear as offline).

Any ideas on how to resolve this? Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
bvalley
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi Stephen, thanks for the quick reply. I did try the power cycle. However, for the past two years I had the Arlo base station plugged into a TP-Link switch (and so I tried different ports in the TP-Link switch)... and even after changing from the Nighthawk to the Eero 6+ router, the Arlo still worked plugged into the TP-Link switch (at least, for a few hours).

This morning I decided to try and plug the Arlo base into one of the Eero satellites directly, and wouldn't you know, it came right back! I don't know why it worked with the switch, and then didn't, but at least from my experience, it seems like the Arlo base station needs to be plugged directly into an Eero 6+.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

If you didn't try power-cycling the Eero, then I'd do that first.

If that doesn't help, then try connecting a different device to the Eero LAN port (a PC with an ethernet port for example), and make sure the Eero LAN port hasn't failed.

bvalley
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi Stephen, thanks for the quick reply. I did try the power cycle. However, for the past two years I had the Arlo base station plugged into a TP-Link switch (and so I tried different ports in the TP-Link switch)... and even after changing from the Nighthawk to the Eero 6+ router, the Arlo still worked plugged into the TP-Link switch (at least, for a few hours).

This morning I decided to try and plug the Arlo base into one of the Eero satellites directly, and wouldn't you know, it came right back! I don't know why it worked with the switch, and then didn't, but at least from my experience, it seems like the Arlo base station needs to be plugged directly into an Eero 6+.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@bvalley wrote:

but at least from my experience, it seems like the Arlo base station needs to be plugged directly into an Eero 6+.

It sounds to me like the TP-Link switch isn't fully compatible with the Eero - that the connection between the switch and router isn't staying up.  If the Eero includes "green" ethernet features (power reduced for short cable lengths), then that might not be negotiating with the TP-link properly.

bvalley
Aspirant
Aspirant

Interesting... good to know, and thanks for the info!