Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro base station won't connect to Netgear Nighthawk CM1200

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
jwhalen123
Aspirant
Aspirant

I recently upgraded my wifi network and now my arlo cannot connect to the internet. I replaced a netgear ac3000 modem/router with a netgear CM1200 DOCSIS 3.1 cable modem with a google wifi mesh network and now arlo cannot connect to the internet. I connected the arlo directly to the modem with an ethernet cable figuring it didn't need to be a part of the network it just needed internet (I don't use any other service to control the arlo system). I tried reseting the base station by unplugging it for 2 minutes, I tried the factory reset button, I double checked the cable was connected securely, and I confirmed that other devices could access the internet through that cable. Arlo will connect to the internet if I plug it into one of the ethernet ports of the closet google beacon (making it a part of the network) but I really need the port for other devices and I don't understand why it cannot connect to the internet through ethernet port provided on the modem when other devices can. I can buy a splitter and make it work running of the google beacon but woulf rather have it directly connected to the modem. Anybody else run into the same problem?

3 REPLIES 3
michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@jwhalen123 wrote:

I connected the arlo directly to the modem with an ethernet cable figuring it didn't need to be a part of the network it just needed internet (I don't use any other service to control the arlo system).

Your basic issue is that you need a router.

If you have two devices on the network – the Arlo kit and the Google thing – you need a router. As the manuals for the Arlo say, "Connect the base station to your router using an Ethernet cable".

The CM1200 is a simple modem. The other ports on the back are for connections to a router that supports Ethernet Port Aggregation.

@jwhalen123 wrote:

Arlo will connect to the internet if I plug it into one of the ethernet ports of the closet google beacon (making it a part of the network)

That's right the google beacon is acting as the router.

@jwhalen123 wrote:

I don't understand why it cannot connect to the internet through ethernet port provided on the modem when other devices can.

Because the CM1200 is not a router. If the "other devices" mean the google box, that is doing the router thing.

@jwhalen123 wrote:

I can buy a splitter and make it work running of the google beacon but woulf rather have it directly connected to the modem. Anybody else run into the same problem?

Everybody else will have this problem because you are trying to run a device (the Arlo) that needs a router without a router.

A splitter after the google box will work.

You might be able to do something with the old modem/router. Hard to tell because we don't know what it is. AC3000 is not a Netgear model number. It is a label that Netgear, and others, attach to hardware to describe wifi speeds. 

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
jwhalen123
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for your help! So what is ethernet port aggregation? I have on option to turn that on/off within the modem. Would turning that on allow the handful of ports on the modem to act like a router? Thanks again!

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@jwhalen123 wrote:

Would turning that on allow the handful of ports on the modem to act like a router?

Not that I can see. You need a router.

There is support for this device, including manuals, at the end of this link:

>>> CM1200 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<

You might do well to visit the appropriate bit of the Netgear Community for better advice. This isn't really an Arlo issue.

Cable Modems & Routers - NETGEAR Communities

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime