Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 16 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
tabktg
Aspirant
Aspirant

Arlo Pro, firmware version 1.12.0.0_27099, HW version VMB4000r3. 

I stopped getting email notifications sent to my hotmail address.  My spouse still gets notifications sent to an outlook address.  My hotmail acct. is not set to block anything from arlo or netgear.  Nor do the alerts appear in my spam folder.  I added the alert address to my favorites and contacts.  I reset the system.  Nothing has worked.  Any ideas?

Thanks

16 REPLIES 16
tabktg
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'll add that when my spouse and I both got email notifications, the notification would list both email addresses in the "to" line.  Now when my spouse receives notifications, it only lists her email address.  This seems to suggest the problem is on the Arlo side.  I went into Arlo and deleted and re-added my email address to people who are supposed to recieve notifications.  Still nothing.  What gives?

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hey @tabktg,

Just to make sure, are you (with the hotmail account) the account owner? Or do you have grant access only?

tabktg
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi Jessica,

Yes, I am the the account owner.

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Try adding Arlo on your safe sender list or whitelist to see if you receive any emails afterwards.

tabktg
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi,

I added alerts@arlo.com to my safe sender list but that hasn't helped.

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

I have a sent you a PM to gather more information from you.

tabktg
Aspirant
Aspirant

It is working now.  Thank you.

Joe2019
Aspirant
Aspirant

Good Evening, 

I have had the same problem with hotmail and started using my comcast email for notifications. I have done all of the above items/suggestions but still have had no luck with hotmail. May I ask what finally fixed the  problem?

Thanks,

Joe 

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hi @Joe2019,

Did you check your junk/spam mail to see if you're receiving alerts? Also make sure that when your camera is armed, the email notification is turned on. Do you receive push notifications on your phone?

Joe2019
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi Jessica,

Yes to all, alerts were working and then all of a sudden stopped. My comcast email alerts ok but not hotmail.

Regards,

Joe D

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

I'll send you a private message to gather more information regarding the alerts not working on your email account.

donom
Aspirant
Aspirant

HI,

I'm having similar issues with hotmail accounts.

I've just created a new *@hotmail.com account with Arlo, but am not receiving ANY emails to that address. This means that I can't confirm, and hence use, my hotmail account with Arlo.

I've added arlo.com to the whitelist for hotmail/outlook, but no banana.

Can someone please help to sort this out, as like others, it appears that this issue is on the Arlo side rather than hotmail's.

Thanks!

-Don

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Contact Hotmail support. All Arlo does is send emails to the address - how Hotmail handles it is their problem.

amroyounes
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have had the same issue since late 2018.  I finally spent time this weekend debugging the issue.  I went to my hotmail account, and added both alerts@arlo.com and arlo.com to the safe list domains.  I checked my junkmail and there are no arlo alerts.  

Lastly, I modified the alert policy to email me both at hotmail and at my gmail account.  i then triggered motion on my camera and I consistantly receive email alerts to gmail but not to hotmail.  

Has the arlo domain done something such that Microsoft decided to block emails from Arlo to its users?  What additional information do you need to resolve this issue?

Kind regards...Amro

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You'll have to contact Hotmail/your email provider to get them to pass the emails. Arlo has no control.

amroyounes
Aspirant
Aspirant

I would if this is an individual occurrence, however, at least three people were impacted by this around the same time.  Its on Arlo to make sure that their domain is not being blocked.  I'll wait for the moderator customer support to weigh in on this.

Basically it seems that Arlo is not a verified domain, so hotmail and probably other email providers are doing early spam blocking.  This is probably due to the popularity of the product and the sheer number of alert emails being sent.  

Amro