Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
ABBean
Star
Star

With the amount of money we as consumers spend on your camera system, you would expect to have better video quality than 720p. I like the concept of it being wireless, but there are other cheaper cameras and camera systems that have 1080p video quality. Now in some instantances, most digital electronics have the capability to upgrade their firmware to a higher standard or the next level and I would bet that the Arlo Pro has this imbedded in their base station and cameras in it as well. My question is will Arlo distribute a firmware upgrade to enhance the quality of the Arlo Pro cameras from 720p to 1080p and have a much better digital zoom? I feel along with others out there, that this is something that Arlo should make available to its customers that have these expensive and over priced camera systems that are out there and stop telling current and potential owners to go buy the Arlo Q Plus 1080p camera  when that camera isn't made for outside use. Just how hard is it to get with your engineers, programmers and testers and tell them to get with the program and come up with a firmware upgrade to enhance the video quality from 720p to 1080p, because other companies do make available 1080p video quality wireless cameras and make themselves very attractive by not charging nearly a thousand dollars for a 6 camera system. You feel me on that? Arlo may have started ahead of the pack, but Arlo is making its way to the back of the pack if they dont put the customers first with a firmware upgrade for the Arlo Pro Camera System.

4 REPLIES 4
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

If the sensor is for 720p, how will a firmware update get you higher resolution? The only way to do that is in software which will never be as good as the original, higher resolution in the first place.

ABBean
Star
Star
Ok undoubtably I use the wrong term instead of saying software I said firmware. Anyway there should be something that are low Pro could do to upgrade these cameras to 1080p. Nowadays a lot of things can be upgraded over WiFi, so why can't these cameras be upgraded over WiFi? I will probably keep these cameras for about 6 months or so and then I'll probably put them online and sell them and then get me a camera system that has 1080p if Arlo Pro doesn't make an effort to provide a software upgrade for these cameras in order for them to go to 1080p.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You still have the issue of the cameras using a 720p sensor.  You can't get blood from a stone.  The only way to convert this to 1080 or any other higher resolution is through software interpolation, just like taking a picture with a digital camera that has 10 megapixels and telling software to increase the pixel count.  It can be successfully done but it will never be the same as taking a picture with a 20 megapixel camera in the first place.

larealboy
Guide
Guide

i totally agree with you..