Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
Brock66
Aspirant
Aspirant

Let me preface what follows with an opening statement that I really like my Netgear Arlo Pro system and have not had anything to complain about in the month or so that I have been using it. Well, 1080P resolution, or better, would be nice but I realize there are technical difficulties with a battery powered, low power WiFi portable camera that will take a while to solve.

Okay, customer product plug taken care of, now here's my problem:

I have been receiving a large number of alerts from my Arlo Pro security camera today due to a greater level of activity at one of my property's borders. This increased volume of video has allowed me to realize that the timestamp on the recordings is about two hours in the past. Upon checking, the base unit shows the correct time and time zone.

Now I'm wondering how long has this issue been happening. Folks, this is not a great trait for a security camera system. Users of any security system need to be confident that the information provided is accurate. What if an Arlo Pro user had to present recorded video as evidence? What problems might a "floating" timestamp cause in a court case?

That being said, it looks like I have temporarily fixed the problem by remotely restarting the base station as recommended in some of the recent comments by other owners who are apparently experiencing the same issue. But having the security system owner constantly check the timestamps on the video recordings and restart the base station as needed is not a desireable way to go in the long term.

I am hoping for a quick resolution to this issue. Please advise when one is available.

Thanks.

7 REPLIES 7
steve_t
Master Master
Master

When you restart it and it corrects itself, I don't think it goes back to being incorrect

Brock66
Aspirant
Aspirant

Fair enough. I will monitor the timestamps for awhile and report back if the problem comes back. Still, one wonders why it was wrong after the initial start up of the base unit.

steve_t
Master Master
Master

I've yet to come across any smart home devices that work flawlessly. Glad the restart fixed it.

I have some Wemo switches and one of them took 26 reset cycles (takes about a minute per cycle) before I could get it going!

Pretty much everything has its bugs and we either find workarounds, accept them, or decide we're better off with a different device (which might be equally as buggy or even worse!)

Hopefully, yours will stay correct as far as time goes and that's the only issue you have. Good luck

Smarks
Star
Star
This problem still exists in my brand new system with the current firmware. Sure hope they get it fixed soon.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Smarks,

What time zone are you using?

JamesC

Smarks
Star
Star

@JamesC I'm using Mountain Time.  Tried PT as well just to see and same issue.  I'll reset the base station and all is good for a few minutes and then slowly shifts into the future Smiley Frustrated

throwaway-accnt
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi,

It seems some ISP block NTP ( network time resolution protocol) pakcet on UDP port 123. This causes time to incorrect in basestation. Check if your router settings are blocking UDP port 123.