Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Solar Panel Limitation

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
skingspan
Luminary
Luminary

I have had my Arlo Pro camera's for about a year now and am very happy with them,  I picked up an Arlo Solar Panel as soon as they came out over the summer and it has kept my camera that is pugged into it charged at over 90% up till recently.  I have not had any of the issues that others seem to have been having with seating the power cord securely.  Now that we are in November and the weather is getting colder I have noticed a message on the camera with the solar panel that states "Charging Paused, Camera's battery is too low".  I am in New England and it is going to get much colder than the 40 degrees that it is outside now.  So basically the panel is going  to be useless from November to March.  Pretty dissapointing limitation to the technology.   So now I am going to have to climb up and bring my camera in to charge in the winter.   Exactly what I was trying to avoid.

Anyone else experiencing this limitation?

--------------------------------------------
https://wickedsmarthome.blogspot.com/
2 REPLIES 2
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

there is another thread.....

The cameras will shut down at -4F....  that is the spec for working temp.

BUT , charging the battery is a different thing.  The li-ion cells can be damaged if charged below freezing temps. So the unit will stop any charging below around 30-32f... this is normal and designed for safety ...there is no fix for this.

For colder climates I recommend not to buy the solar panel but go with more batteries and a charge tube for this reason ( that outside the solar is non functioning below freezing due to possible cell damage.)

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I noticed the same thing this morning. It would be nice to have a warning indicator that wasn't so much in your face that doesn't require clearing to go forward.