Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
JFK-MA
Aspirant
Aspirant

I want to purchase the Arlo solar panel for my Arlo Pro but living in New England, it can get below freezing a lot during the winter months.  WILL THAT DAMAGE THE SOLAR PANEL IF I KEEP IT UP ALL WINTER?

(From the website: You can use the Arlo solar panel in any outdoor location that falls within the solar panel’s operating temperature range of 32° to 122°F (0° to 50°C). For safety reasons, the solar panel cannot charge your camera battery at temperatures below freezing.)

Just wanted to know before I purchased that or if buying a 2nd battery is the better route?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

I don't believe it will harm the solar panel....but it won't charge it either if really cold.

The Pro cameras have a built in safety to prevent charging the li-ion cell when below freezing ( can cause damage to cell ) .

So the end result it will not charge in really cold weather and you'll have to let it warm up to charge.

IMO, you may be better off buying a couple of cells and a charge tube so you can swap easily in winter.....summer is a diff story

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

I don't believe it will harm the solar panel....but it won't charge it either if really cold.

The Pro cameras have a built in safety to prevent charging the li-ion cell when below freezing ( can cause damage to cell ) .

So the end result it will not charge in really cold weather and you'll have to let it warm up to charge.

IMO, you may be better off buying a couple of cells and a charge tube so you can swap easily in winter.....summer is a diff story

Morse is faster than texting!
JFK-MA
Aspirant
Aspirant

I ended up buying the extra batteries and cube in lieu of the solar panel given the New England weather in the winter. Thanks so much for your reply.