Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 9 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
ArloPro65
Guide
Guide

Exactly as the title suggests.

I am looking to have different modes running simultaneously.  

Example:

Camera 1 (Rear Entrance)- Scheduled to record if motion is detected only from 8 PM to 6 AM

Camera 2 (Front Entrance)- Armed and record if any motion is detected

Camera 3 (Inside)              - Geofenced to record any motion is detected when away from house

*Note, I would like to have these modes all run simultaneously.  

This is not currently implemented in either the iOS application or the website.  This would save me from lots of "false" alerts

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
No, you don't run multiple modes at once. Instead, you create multiple modes with the exact settings you need for any particular time and then schedule those at the times you need. You just need to swap mindsets.

Based on your post above, you need two modes. One can be Armed or create one​ that's similar but with your customizations. The other just has the front entrance camera. Schedule Armed or the custom one that's similar from 8 PM to 11:59PM and again from 12:00AM to 6AM. That way both cameras are armed and recording. Next, schedule the front entrance mode from​ 6:01AM to 7:59PM.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

ArloPro65,

This can be done by using custom modes within the schedule feature along with Geofencing.

Set up your schedule with custom modes for the desired times/cameras and set your Geofencing "Home" mode to Schedule" and Away mode to "Armed".

JamesC

ArloPro65
Guide
Guide

JamesC, either I am missing something or the website and app are not intuitive.

Do you mind posting step by step instructions?

For the time being lets make it easy and assume the following.

Camera 1 (Rear Entrance)- Scheduled to record if motion is detected only from 8 PM to 6 AM

Camera 2 (Front Entrance)- Armed and record if any motion is detected

We can forget about Camera 3 for now.  

I think something is missing on the setup for the modes because I don't see an option where you can select multiple cameras for a custom mode.  

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Refer to the many FAQs here for lots of info and instructions.

To add cameras to a custom mode, reedit the mode and add rules for each camera needed. When you create a mode, one camera rule is also created. Any additional rules are added once the mode is created.
ArloPro65
Guide
Guide

So I just created a new mode called Custom.  

There it lists my cameras.  I added a rule for Camera  1 (Rear door) to record video when motion is detected and send a push notification.  What I am missing is where do I added that I want Camera 1 to be on a schedule?  I only want to record from 8 PM - 6 AM.  

Then camera 2 (front) needs to record video when motion is detected at all times.  

It looks like there is no way to have multiple modes running simultaneously.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
No, you don't run multiple modes at once. Instead, you create multiple modes with the exact settings you need for any particular time and then schedule those at the times you need. You just need to swap mindsets.

Based on your post above, you need two modes. One can be Armed or create one​ that's similar but with your customizations. The other just has the front entrance camera. Schedule Armed or the custom one that's similar from 8 PM to 11:59PM and again from 12:00AM to 6AM. That way both cameras are armed and recording. Next, schedule the front entrance mode from​ 6:01AM to 7:59PM.
ArloPro65
Guide
Guide

Wow, I finally got it.  All I have to say is that is a terrible interface.  It can be greatly improved.

Thanks jguerdat for helping out.   

There are 4 different modes (Armed, Disarmed, Schedule, Geofenced) which is easy to confuse with the custom modes you create

So bascially if anyone else ever reads this, here are the correct steps.

1.  Create an additional mode by clicking on the "Add a mode" button.  

2.  Once your mode is added and created successfully click on Schedule

3.  On "Schedule Mode" click '> ' button

4.  Click Add button

5.  There is a dropdown that has your new modes in there.  It is sort of hidden once you click the > button you will see your modes

6.  Create a schedule for each mode "Front door, Back door, Side entrance, etc)

7.  You will essentially have multiple modes running under the "Schedule mode"

SteveARLO
Initiate
Initiate

This is most likely the way it is due to technical reasons. I have coded up my fair share of scheduling components and this notion of non-overlapping modes is a common pattern as it is much easier to implement and not as prone to bugs as compared to the way that it would "make sense" to humans.

But indeed this is NOT the way humans think when they are scheduling their cameras .. humans think exactly the way the user who posed the question thinks e.g. i want cam#1 to do this during this time, and i want cam#2 to do this during this time, and so on. now _that_ makes sense Cat Tongue

BLRaftery
Star
Star

This is incredibly confusing and honestly frustrating. Why can't we just ASSIGN a camera under the schedule, where it says add. It would seem more appropriate to select a schedule then select cameras under it.

Working with an Arlo Pro. Need to schedule 3 different cameras, but the mode function only allows 1 selected mode at a time, which means I have to manually go in and reselect modes at different times. Yes, I have rules set up too, but each one is different. 

Here is what I am trying to do:

Camera's A & B should be schedules 12am to 5am. Every night. But I do NOT WANT Camera C to go off. 

Camera C should be scheuduled Sunda 8am to 2pm. But there is no need for Cameras A & B to go off. 

Yet, I do not want to have to go in every Sunday and select Sunday's mode for Camera C and then go back Sunday evening and select Camera's A&B's modes. 

If I select SCHEDULE MODE and set it 12-5, then all cameras (A,B & C), will go off 12am-5am. I don't want that. 

I set up the 2 modes 1 for 12am - 5am 7 days a week and another for Sunday 8am-2pm. But they don't allow me to control the times, and if I forget to switch them over they go off all day/night long. Ughhh.

Why not just allow the user to select the Schedule Mode and allow different cameras under different schedule modes. Yes, I read an entire post on modes and rules, and the system will not allow me to select two modes at the same time, so I can have 2 cameras set at all times 12am-5am, and 1 camera set at all times Sunday 8am-2pm without having to readjust modes each time. 

Just typing this out is confusing. 

BLRaftery
Star
Star

For the Arlo Pro system, there is no drop down to reveal modes from within the + Add under schedule. 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

BLRaftery,

For what you are describing set up custom modes. Within each custom mode, set up rules for the desired cameras. Then schedule each custom mode for the desired time frames.

"Camera's A & B should be schedules 12am to 5am. Every night. But I do NOT WANT Camera C to go off." Create a custom mode with rules for camera A and camera B (no rule for C) and schedule that mode for 12am to 5 am.

"Camera C should be scheuduled Sunda 8am to 2pm. But there is no need for Cameras A & B to go off. " Create a custom mode with rules for Camera C (no rules for A or B) and schedule for Sunday 8am to 2pm.

Fill out the rest of your schedule for the desired time frames using the desired modes.

JamesC